What's new

The Streets Of San Francisco Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Guy Foulard /t/283582/the-streets-of-san-francisco-season-3/60#post_3912827
Finally:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Streets-San-Francisco-Season-3/16758
Yay! Thought we'd never see this. Now I can quit rationing S2V2...
I will be ordering both Volumes! I imagine they will be just in a standard plastic style keepcase, but I have been waiting a LONG time for more episodes! I wanted to start re-watching the first 2 seasons but was afraid I'd be angry that there would be no news for season 3

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Its funny but watching this and watching Ironside, how much of a better show this is all around. Great location shooting all over one of the best cities in the world while Ironside is done as all Universal shows, on the cheap and shot on the back lot. This is like the SF version of Hawaii Five-O. Not to mention the better guest stars. Funny the stuff you see as an adult that you never paid any attention to as a kid. But I watch these Universal series now and they look so hokey. Now, only a matter of time before we hopefully get the official word on the last seasons of Have Gun and Untouchables.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Wonderful news at last. The covers may be less cool looking but what counts is that it's finally continuing and remastered according to their Bible, with seasons 4 and 5 in progress.
:banana:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Agreed, this is excellent news--I had given up to the point where I made homemade DVDs of the last 3 seasons from a local station that has been running them virtually uncut, but the prints were very lousy. The CBS prints have been remastered in HD according to the syndication bible, so this is a no-brainer. Someone had reported a while back that the sales were pretty weak for the first 2 seasons, so I'm thrilled they're giving this show another go.
Much as with Hawaii Five-O, I love the easy-going chemistry between Malden and Douglas, I love the location shooting, I love the top-notch guest stars, and many of the stories are very entertaining.
If I recall, the syndication bible indicated that all of the remaining 3 seasons are being remastered in HD, so this bodes well for seasons 4 and 5 coming to DVD. Even watching some of the season 5 shows, Richard Hatch and Malden manage to have chemistry as well, but Hatch simply lacks the sheer talent and charisma of Douglas, despite his best efforts.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Unbelievable.....-I´ll pick up both volumes. I´ve never thought that CBS/Paramount will continue with the series.
I thought it has been stalled!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This is great news! I have S1-S2 on dvd and love this show, especially how well karl malden and michael douglas worked together. I had heard there was issues with music and that is why the set was delayed. In any case it is good to see S3 is being released!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hatch guested in other Paramount shows before like Cannon, and I always thought he did fine as Inspector Robbins. Problem was he just wasn't given much to do but follow Malden around, whom the show had now become all about. Even Douglas had less to do in season 4, which in my opinion's the weakest season with somewhat soapy plots. Hatch did get an episode though with more substance, the extraordinarily excellent "Who Killed Helen French?" much revered for the brilliant performance by guest star Marlyn Mason, incredibly it's among the whole series' best episodes which is quite remarkable considering the lesser stories after season 3. But season 5 of course, had a great rare starring role for a young Arnold Schwartzenegger as a disturbed bodybuilder so much can be forgiven.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Neil Brock said:
Great location shooting all over one of the best cities in the world while Ironside is done as all Universal shows, on the cheap and shot on the back lot. This is like the SF version of Hawaii Five-O.
I totally agree here! Even in a weakly-plotted episode, it's a visual treat to get an eyeful of the HD transfers of that terrific early-seventies SF. Really fascinating to me--sometimes I get distracted by what's going on in the background. Compared to earlier QM shows like The FBI, the lack of backlot shooting really opens it up.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, location shooting does help boost a series a good deal overall by just making the plots *seem* better. Streets is indeed much like Five-O in that regard. I'm very happy this is getting unstalled, and I hope there's similar good news for "Barnaby Jones" in the near-term as well.
That said, I tend not to be quite as harsh on the Universal shows of this era if they date from the late 60s period, when backlot shooting was more the norm. LA based shows of course could be location with no problem like "Adam-12" and "Columbo", but its when I see next to no pretense at giving us a SF feel in later seasons of shows like "McMillan And Wife" or when obvious LA locations are always in plain sight in the supposed Washington setting of "Six Million Dollar Man" that it does start to wear a thin a bit and you have to rely entirely on your interest in the actors and storyline itself.
One Universal exception in this era is "Kojak" which did step up its level of NY location shooting as it went on even though it also has its share of backlot shooting.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Not much more to say at this moment, other than...excellent news. One of the best bits of TV on DVD news I've read so far this year (and the year is still young, sort of). Didn't think it would be unstalled. Hopefully "Mask of Death" will have the music intact.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Isn´t it odd that they´ll release Volume 1 and 2 on the same day?
But I appreciate it, of course.....

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I believe they released season 2 that way or I could be thinking of the past season of Dynasty, they have done it with some other shows. I think One of the seasons of Vegas was released like that also both volumes out on the same day. Oddly enough the upcoming Season of Vegas i believe they only announced VOL 1 only. :-(

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino /t/283582/the-streets-of-san-francisco-season-3/60#post_3913288
Isn´t it odd that they´ll release Volume 1 and 2 on the same day?
But I appreciate it, of course.....

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I love the great location footage on all the QM shows like Streets Of San Francisco, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones. I am a fan also of Ironside despite its extensive use of the Universal Lot, stock footage for San Franicsco scenes, and its very few location scenes actually in San Francisco. Martin was a great producer. Martin spent more money on his shows and the results show up on the screen. Martin insisted on lots of location footage on his shows. While I love Ironside too, there is no comparison between watching beautiful locations footage scenes in San Francisco, and Universal backlot, stock footage, and outdoor scenes not in San Francsico. Quinn Martin and Karl Malden considered the city of San Francisco to be one of the 3 stars or the show-- Malden, Douglas, and San Francisco! Someone else said the Streets of San Francisco provides a great time capsule to 1970's San Francisco and they are right! Since there were not many, if any tv shows shot in San Francisco in the 1970's, if Streets of San Francisco would not have been made think .of the "time capsule" that would have been lost! You wouldn't have seen the city of San Francisco by watching Ironside! LOL Someone else said and I agree you sometimes can just watch the beautiful locations in San Francisco and get caught up in them! Quinn Martin shows like Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones are superior television!
God Bless!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
the amazon Pre-orders are up for Season 3 Volumes... I ordered both. Dynasty you can choose to get the fill season on pre-order as opposed to the two Volume releases.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Strange about that sole Vega$ volume yes, but maybe it's a whole new strategy from them with the same date for both volumes. Making it even stranger of course Streets is not a one set season release in the first place, but hey that's less important now. And Robert's correct, chapter master Quinn was the King of captivating storytelling TV in the 1960s and 1970s.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have asked TVShowsOnDVD about the music in the third season episode "Mask of Death". They've asked CBS/P and the answer is...Season 3 - Volume 1 will have the episode ("Mask of Death") with the music intact. Great stuff!

Was the 1992 TV movie Back to the Streets of San Francisco shot on film and edited on videotape? Just wondering if that could be transferred to HD, with the fourth and fifth seasons being transferred to HD.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
I´m surprised that CBS/Paramount will release Season 3 after three years.
Hopefully other CBS/Paramount shows such as "Matt Houston(Season 2), Barnaby Jones(Season 2), Cannon(Season 3), Jake and the Fatman(Season 3) will released as well someday...

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
There's always hope so anything could happen, if they can resurrect Streets of San Francisco after a substantial break maybe we can all look back at a very good year come December. It's a pretty good Paramount year so far I think with Mannix, Vega$ and Streets. But of course they all have one thing in common, they've been HD transferred and that could play into it. However, I'm not sure how up-to-date their CBS Syndication Bible really is.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Love Boat" remains the one title that has had HD transferring beyond what's been released but for which we've still seen no new releases since S2 V2. I would hope that with "Fantasy Island" being unstalled by Shout! that CBS/Paramount recognizes that restarting "Love Boat" would be a good marketing move and let fans revisit that "back to back" experience of Saturday nights in the late 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks