-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Streets Of San Francisco Season 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#61 of 136 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 22 2010 - 10:23 AM

I remembering hearing in regards to Warner releases- the studio has a finite, pre-determined number of release slots per any given year. In other words, they just don't release whatever they suddenly feel like releasing. If great elements to something they've long wanted to release suddenly show up, that new disc doesn't get added to the release sched- it move in and something else gets pulled.

So assuming that all studios work with a fixed number of release slots, it makes perfect sense that slower moving, on going titles would get placed on hold while new titles get folded into the mix to see how well they do. If they take off, they get fast tracked. If they don't sell any better- or sell worse- then the older titles come back and more seasons get released- and so on.

Eventually this show will continue on DVD. The rest of it can't come fast enough for me, but at least in the mean time other stuff I also enjoy is getting folded into the mix (like Sgt. Bilko, hopefully more Barnaby Jones, etc).

#62 of 136 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted June 24 2010 - 10:21 AM

The third season being released on Region 2 in the UK in September all depends on whether the BBFC add listings to their website for the 23 third season episodes. And if they do add listing pages to their website for all of the 23 third season episodes, then the boxset should or will be released on Region 2 in the UK. The interesting listing will be for "Mask of Death". If the total running time is around the same as the other episodes in the third season, it will be interesting if the episode has the music intact or has been substituted.

#63 of 136 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 10:07 AM

I think it's very unlikely the third season is going to be released by CBS DVD (UK) on Monday 20th September (the release date given on Amazon.co.uk). The BBFC haven't passed anything yet for the third season (season three of The Untouchables is still coming out on Monday 13th September though).

#64 of 136 Justin Boggan

Justin Boggan

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted August 24 2010 - 07:08 AM

This is another series I am trying to compile a list of the composer on each episode of and am wondering if any kind fans here can help -- even if just five episodes.

The list so far, culled from three different sources:

TVScores.150m.com/TSOSF.html

The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like balzes. The first chance I get."
- The Prisoner

#65 of 136 brian MC

brian MC

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 11 2011 - 04:13 AM

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I was wondering if there is any further news on the the rest of the seasons being released on DVD?

#66 of 136 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,103 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted August 11 2011 - 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by brian MC 

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I was wondering if there is any further news on the the rest of the seasons being released on DVD?

I wish. I loved this show so much even if it was expensive to buy I still want more. Maybe they could start it back up and release both VOL of Season 3 sep and let those who want to buy both VOLUMES at once. Would be nice.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#67 of 136 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,276 posts

Posted August 21 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have S1/S2 on dvd and would love to see this set completed. It has been over 3 years since S2 came out. I am starting to wonder if we will see this set completed.

#68 of 136 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted August 21 2011 - 08:20 AM

It's really too sad that nothing seems to be happening with this, or appears to be in the pipeline at all, as it's the last truly great season with several excellent episodes in my opinion anyway. Like one more with Leslie Nielsen, for example. The last two seasons to be perfectly honest weren't that hot, in particular season 4 made it painfully clear why Michael Douglas left shortly after. Some pretty weak stories there for the most part except for only a handful of very good ones, like another heavy turn for Bill Bixby.

#69 of 136 BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 08:37 AM

Henry I'd honest like to see all the seasons released Streets of San Francisco released even the Richard Hatch year I just loved Karl Malden's Mike Stone character it was fun for me to watch and it was one of my favorite shows to as a kid 1970's along with great fun shows like Adam 12 , Kojak , Columbo , Mccloud, Mannix, Five-o , etc... to name a few. And from what I read Micheal Douglas didn't leave the show poor scripts it was his long term project "one who flew over the cuckoo's nest" was finally come to fruition and 1974 season he was been run ragged back and forth between TSSF and working on Cuckoo' nest he left the show. If he didn't have the movie project he would not have left the show. I think it was split season format and charging full price for the half seasons is what damage the sales of the sets killed the sales figures and lead paramount putting season three on hold. I'd be happy with a Mannix style full season release. STSF are finally back in re runs here In the L.A. tv market ota on channel 56.3 me tv . So maybe it will drum up more interest. Who knows :(
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#70 of 136 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 10:45 AM

Bob, are they showing the third season at the moment? I ask, because I'd be interested to know if "Mask of Death" has the music intact or not.

#71 of 136 BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 08:45 AM

Bob, are they showing the third season at the moment? I ask, because I'd be interested to know if "Mask of Death" has the music intact or not.

Hmm right now their showing early season 2 in some crazy out of order fashion ,(accord to the IMBd episode order) showing episodes 4 and 5 before 3? LOL :P . So far they have not skip over any episodes and there haven't been any obivous musical deletions . Yeah so I will be watching to see what they do with the John Davison episode too I've got the Streets on a season pass on my Tivo so I give it a close going over when it shows . I remember watching "mask of death" as kid and it creep me out big time LOL but it was a great episode.:D
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#72 of 136 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:24 AM

Finally: http://www.tvshowson...-Season-3/16758 Yay! Thought we'd never see this. Now I can quit rationing S2V2...

#73 of 136 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,103 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Foulard 

Finally:
http://www.tvshowson...-Season-3/16758
Yay! Thought we'd never see this. Now I can quit rationing S2V2...

I will be ordering both Volumes! I imagine they will be just in a standard plastic style keepcase, but I have been waiting a LONG time for more episodes! I wanted to start re-watching the first 2 seasons but was afraid I'd be angry that there would be no news for season 3

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#74 of 136 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,054 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 01:05 PM

Great news. Its funny but watching this and watching Ironside, how much of a better show this is all around. Great location shooting all over one of the best cities in the world while Ironside is done as all Universal shows, on the cheap and shot on the back lot. This is like the SF version of Hawaii Five-O. Not to mention the better guest stars. Funny the stuff you see as an adult that you never paid any attention to as a kid. But I watch these Universal series now and they look so hokey. Now, only a matter of time before we hopefully get the official word on the last seasons of Have Gun and Untouchables.

#75 of 136 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 01:06 PM

Wonderful news at last. The covers may be less cool looking but what counts is that it's finally continuing and remastered according to their Bible, with seasons 4 and 5 in progress. :banana:

#76 of 136 Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted April 02 2012 - 03:42 PM

Agreed, this is excellent news--I had given up to the point where I made homemade DVDs of the last 3 seasons from a local station that has been running them virtually uncut, but the prints were very lousy. The CBS prints have been remastered in HD according to the syndication bible, so this is a no-brainer. Someone had reported a while back that the sales were pretty weak for the first 2 seasons, so I'm thrilled they're giving this show another go. Much as with Hawaii Five-O, I love the easy-going chemistry between Malden and Douglas, I love the location shooting, I love the top-notch guest stars, and many of the stories are very entertaining. If I recall, the syndication bible indicated that all of the remaining 3 seasons are being remastered in HD, so this bodes well for seasons 4 and 5 coming to DVD. Even watching some of the season 5 shows, Richard Hatch and Malden manage to have chemistry as well, but Hatch simply lacks the sheer talent and charisma of Douglas, despite his best efforts.
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#77 of 136 Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:05 PM

Unbelievable.....-I´ll pick up both volumes. I´ve never thought that CBS/Paramount will continue with the series. I thought it has been stalled!

#78 of 136 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,276 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 12:27 AM

This is great news! I have S1-S2 on dvd and love this show, especially how well karl malden and michael douglas worked together. I had heard there was issues with music and that is why the set was delayed. In any case it is good to see S3 is being released!

#79 of 136 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 02:35 AM

Hatch guested in other Paramount shows before like Cannon, and I always thought he did fine as Inspector Robbins. Problem was he just wasn't given much to do but follow Malden around, whom the show had now become all about. Even Douglas had less to do in season 4, which in my opinion's the weakest season with somewhat soapy plots. Hatch did get an episode though with more substance, the extraordinarily excellent "Who Killed Helen French?" much revered for the brilliant performance by guest star Marlyn Mason, incredibly it's among the whole series' best episodes which is quite remarkable considering the lesser stories after season 3. But season 5 of course, had a great rare starring role for a young Arnold Schwartzenegger as a disturbed bodybuilder so much can be forgiven.

#80 of 136 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 03:46 AM

Great location shooting all over one of the best cities in the world while Ironside is done as all Universal shows, on the cheap and shot on the back lot. This is like the SF version of Hawaii Five-O.

I totally agree here! Even in a weakly-plotted episode, it's a visual treat to get an eyeful of the HD transfers of that terrific early-seventies SF. Really fascinating to me--sometimes I get distracted by what's going on in the background. Compared to earlier QM shows like The FBI, the lack of backlot shooting really opens it up.