Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BD REVIEW: Australia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 02:11 PM

Blu-ray Disc Review

[/b]

I enjoyed the features on the first go. There are two deleted scenes (HD, 3min), a featurette titles Australia: The People, The History, the Location, which is a short historical piece with Luhrmann, Kidman, and Jackman. This HD piece includes historical footage over 60 years old in its original 4:3 aspect ratio. That means a lot to me, as I absolutely hate when old archive footage is reframed for 16:9 featurettes.

Most interesting are the podcasts with Baz Luhrmann, who really wants to connect all of these featurettes together for the viewer, and help them see how they’ve all contributed to make this film as art. That’s his vision, and his vision works. The featurettes, which cannot be accessed by a “play all” function, can be selected one by one in the special features submenu. Here you will see everything from stills photography/publicity, amplifying drama with location, the role of the director of photography, and post production crew collecting sounds on location for the soundtrack. All are HD. Cool stuff!

• Photography (4:37)
  • Production Design (5:30)
  • Locations (6:22)
  • Cinematography (6:44)
  • Sound (11:05)
  • Editing (11:05)
  • Music (10:23)
  • Visual Effects (8:40)

Three theatrical trailers (A, B, C) are included in HD, as well as the theatrical trailer for Slumdog Millionaire.

IN THE END...

Excellent audio and video deliver this interesting story historically set during World War II. With a load of interesting special features, Australia is worth visiting.

Michael Osadciw
    March 11, 2009.

Review System

• Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
    Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
    HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 01:39 AM

I just did not like this movie at all. I'm so glad I rented it. I thought the visual effects were laughable and reminded me of Crystal Skull's effects.
    The movie tried so hard to be more than it was. At first, I thought it was trying to be a comedy. Then an action flick. Finally a love story. As the credits rolled, it ended up being none of the three; it was just empty.
    Anyway, I do agree that the visual presentation was very good and the audio wasn't shabby either.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Southpaw
    I just did not like this movie at all. I'm so glad I rented it. I thought the visual effects were laughable and reminded me of Crystal Skull's effects.
    The movie tried so hard to be more than it was. At first, I thought it was trying to be a comedy. Then an action flick. Finally a love story. As the credits rolled, it ended up being none of the three; it was just empty.
    Anyway, I do agree that the visual presentation was very good and the audio wasn't shabby either.

That about sums it up for me too. The only thing I can add is that I also found it to be very predictable.

My wife and I rented and watched this over the weekend. She really liked it, I will probably (her vote counts more than mine Posted Image) never watch it again.

-Steve

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,073 posts
    • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 12 2009 - 09:39 AM

I'm a huge fan of Luhrmann's work, but missed this in theatres. I will probably rent it first, as that is how I've generally watched his films and they come to grow on me the more I think about them.
    "My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 12:22 AM

I am interested in seeing this film, despite the mediocre reviews.... Sounds like the BluRay image looks fantastic!!
    Great Review Michael...
    Steve Simon
    HTF Administration
    (Retired)

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 05:24 AM

Well, I for one really loved it. As did my mother in law. Perhaps it's a chick flick that men generally don't share the love for, as they do with, for example, Pride and Prejudice.

I had netflixed the Blu version. Watching it told me it's a movie I want to own. My anniversary is coming up in May. I will drop broad hints.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 12:25 PM

Put me in the loved it camp. The comedy, the action, the romance, it all worked very well together and made for a fantastic film.
    You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!