Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pioneer TS-A6872R upgrade in Ford F-150

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,872 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 11 2009 - 01:46 PM

I have a 2001 Ford F-150, but this should apply to any of the 1997 - 2003 models.

As you probably know, Ford puts crappy speakers in their trucks. A useful upgrade is the Pioneer TS-A6872R speaker, which is designed to be a drop-in replacement for the OEM speakers. The OEMs are 6" by 8" and so is the Pioneer.

I put a pair in the front doors today. It's real easy but you will have to cut and splice in the wires - the Ford OEM connector isn't used by Pioneer. But the mechanical fit is perfect.

Here's a link to a set of photos for how to take off the door panels on that vintage F-150. Speaker Replacement Instructions

I'm a little short of cash right now so I only changed out the fronts and then set the fader to mostly front. These speakers sell for around $70 online but WalMart sells them for $56. Much better deal, plus you can just pick them up.

I did some testing and believe that the sound is now much better. Pianos don't break up.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.