What's new

Would u like tvshowsonblueray (1 Viewer)

Rodrick

Second Unit
I'd like to see tvshows come out on Blueray, the more newer shows coming, like LOST is on blueray or dvd.

I'd like to see some complete boxsets on blueray.

I'd double dip on Friends

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
To each his own. I think it's great if others want to upgrade their TV experience by getting their favorite shows on Blu.

Now I'm a huge huge Star Trek fan. But even so, I have to ask myself, at some point, how good does a 1960s episode of Star Trek need to look? You go much higher than Blu, and at some point, the human eye just can't tell the difference anymore.

I'm a guy happy with my DVDs, and my TOS-R DVDs, which I'll mention in this case.

I'm thinking Blu might be like laser discs, so I'm willing to wait and leapfrog over it to the next thing.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Honestly no. It will only add to the expense of issuing classic tv shows. Which most would not really benefit form the blue ray treatment due to the film/video tape sources infact In my mind they look worse and blue ray would distract from the viewing experience. Sure clean up the video and sound (like what been done with the Hawaii Five-0 set) is great but would Five-0 be that much better at extra cost on blue ray, I think not. Also due to sony/mpaa nazis paranoia about copy piracy, unless you have one of the newer blue ray players hooked up via lan cable to dsl to down load the endless stream of copy protection patches there no guarantee your shinny new blue set will play. :thumbsdown: :angry: I honest amazed such a consumer hostel product has sold at all. Unless it a new tv series shot in the last five years blue ray offers no advantage for standard def tv shows, yes Lost maybe, but lets say some one get serious about releasing b/w Dragnet in dvd set, or restart kojak, McCloud or even a more recent serious like NYPD blue would the expense and added definition of Blue ray add to those set, Hmmm not really. I'll live with standard def at a lower price, for me it the ability to watch my favorite shows anytime I want , in any order , on a compact and durable format, is more important so sd dvd sets fit that bill for me.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well, a 35mm frame contains way more info than even HD, at current capacity, can capture, so if someone goes back and makes HD transfers from Adam 12 negatives, it's gonna look a helluva lot better than the DVD, but the reality is, at this point, that ain't gonna happen, because not enough people, IMHO, care about seeing a mole on Marty Milner's face.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Am hoping they don't discontinue dvds in the future in favour of Blu-Ray am hoping they continue to release bother as hve no plans to get Blu-Ray anytime in the future

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's incorrect. Anything shot on film will look better on Blu-ray than a DVD. It doesn't matter if it was a 50 year old show (like I Love Lucy or Dragnet) or a modern show (like Lost or 24). If it was shot on film, it will look better. Obviously, people can decide if that upgrade is worth it or not but it still looks better. And I say that as some one who has no problem still buying DVDs for stuff that is unlikely to see a Blu-ray release any time soon (like The Fugitive or 30 Rock).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I agree for the most part with this. I too ask myself how good does a 1960s episode of Star Trek (and by extension, any show) need to look? I wouldn't necessarily want Kirk and Spock in my living room acting out episodes of Trek -- in other words, it does not need to look that good. I am perfectly satisfied with both DVD and VHS at present. But as you say, to each his own.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Well I know three people who have blue ray players, one with a funai base blue ray player has given up for know due to a copy protection base firmware upgrade brick his player and manufactor will not warranty it. The other two people are earlier upgraders and for the first two years only had one firmware upgrade. But both of them in the last six months have had to install 4 differerent copy protection related firmware upgrades to get the latest blue ray titles to play, both friend are comfortable with cd based firmware upgrade but both recomment that since I have dsl they recommend a blue ray player with a rj45 lan jack because copy protection based firmware upgrades are becoming more and more comon. I wish your experance was universal true but I know first hand people who love blue ray at first and are now worried they hook a lot of cash in the next Laser Disk. Yeah blue ray looks nice , but its a pain.:thumbsdown:

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I believe once they get a few more of the kinks out, BRs will be here to stay for some time to come. But it will take a while for BRs to out do SD DVDs in sales. Unlike the VHS transition to DVD where almost everyone perceived an immediate improvement, BRs take newer equipment and larger screens to create the same perception. This economy obviously won't make the transition any quicker.

As already mentioned, older TV shows may benefit as much as the newer shows due to the use of film. It is the between years that lose the benefits. Due to the cost aspects of buying seasons I wouldn't imagine many jumping up to BRs or even many older shows being released on BRs until BR sales start to win out over SD DVDs sales and the cost of BRs come down in price.

Something like TOS Star Trek is an obvious choice, but when many shows can't even get a foothold in the SD DVD market for more then just a few seasons then why would they try BRs.

I watch 13' back on a 16x9 92" screen and older TV shows with the video quality of Perry Mason, HGWT, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, and Andy Griffth look plenty good enough to me. So if they came out on BR tomorrow and money was no object, then I would say Yes bring them on. But since that is not the case SD DVD's do just fine.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
If MPI is able to redo all 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows in the format (and correct the editing mistakes done in the general DVD release), I'll buy a player! Of course, there is the issue of money....

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
By the time this even becomes an issue, maybe the economy will be better.

Sign me up if there are actual improvements and not just slapping multiple existing DVDs onto one BD.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
For shows that were shot on film, maybe.

For shows that were shot on videotape, I don't know about that. I think it's best to leave the shows that were done on videotape on standard definition DVD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You can go into the HD sections and by far, people are happy with their players. I'm sure there's always going to be horror stories (just like a car or a computer or a DVD player or anything) but the overwhelming majority of people that I know and have 'seen' online seem to be very happy with Blu-ray.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My rule of thumb for Blu-ray, as previously stated, is that if the TV show originally aired in HD, I wouldn't want to see it again or own it in anything less.

Of course, that doesn't apply to the classic TV shows I have collected, which look fine in SD (and certainly better than I ever saw them on a rounded 19-inch back in the day). I probably won't replace any of those (well, maybe Star Trek TOS coming out on Blu-ray in May, and, if The Outer Limits were ever remastered for Blu-ray, and well, okay ...).

But here are some facts that indicate Blu-ray is being adapted faster than DVDs originally were (see full article for the comparison, time-wise), and will rule the market sooner rather than later.

In 2008, DVD disc sales dropped by 9.4% while BD sales increased by 445%.

In 2008, DVD disc revenues dropped by $1.50 billion while BD disc revenues increased by $0.48 billion.

Here's the full article from DVDFile.com which has some other compelling information:

Blu-ray Disc's 2008 Performance from DVDfile.com

There's no need to replace your TV DVD library, but the more HD sets are out there, the more people will want to maximize their experience of them.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm still researching the region-free aspect of the BR issue. That's the one parameter that will eventually get me to buy my 1st BR player and a few BR releases. I would be interested in a reliable region-free BR player that will play all regions in Std DVD as well as the regions A,B,C in BR. From what I've read so far, chipped players are available for this but are expensive at this point. I've been getting conflicting information on the 50 FPS PAL/NTSC conversion details on the BR R-free players, ie, is an external inline PAL/NTSC Converter necessary with R-Free BR players for an NTSC (HD) TV? From what I've read so far, the R-Free BR players don't have the internal PAL/NTSC Converter inside. But is that necessary via HDMI to a US HD TV? According to what I've read about the HD displays, most but not necessarily all US-made HD TV's are compatible with PAL 50 FPS inputs.

The other thing I consider as most here, is that the existing BR catalog of the older TV shows hasn't grown enough for me to make the jump to BR. There's not enough available out there yet for me to take the BR step yet.

Since joining the HD TV scene, I've been happy with what I'm seeing with my TV/DVD's upconverted on my Plasma TV. My Bewitched, Time Tunnel, Voyage....Sea. Fugitive DVD's look amazing upconverted via HDMI compared to the old composite CRT TV pictures.

That's a very good point. Since I have several mid-70's sitcoms that were shot on videotape, how would that look on BR vs my upconverted Std player?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The one thing that might make Blu-Ray more acceptable for TV fans would be something that originally was said to be one of its biggest selling points, the disc space.

When they were first announced, some stories wrote about how they could fit an entire season of a TV show on a single disc. A few years later, that isn't happening.

To be able to replace all the bulky box sets with a single disc would be a great selling point.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Not necessarily, because little by little, the studios are upgrading their libraries into HD, simply for the sake of broadcasting them in HD on cable. Over time, you're going to see a vast amount of older shows that have made the HD conversion and the studios can use those conversions as the basis for BluRay masters. So...if all these older shows have HD masters available, of course we'll want to see them as BluRay discs.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There's no reason whatsoever to upconvert SD material shot on SD tape to HD.

However, if they can fit whole series on as few discs as possible (and use less space with the AVC or VC-1 codecs), go back to the earliest possible generations for masters, and (where necessary) atone for sins committed on DVD (editing, abandonment in mid-stream) count me in.

But it won't happen until upconversion of 480i material on BD is possible (a firmware upgrade for PS3 owners was supposed to do it, but it was one of the ones that wrecked players).

I heard rumors that they were working on 100GB, 200GB and greater BD prototypes. Nothing has come of these rumors yet. Imagine whole seasons in HD on one disc (and whole series on a few discs) or whole series of a videotaped show (say, all 7 seasons of The Golden Girls) on one BD.

But if we get the same BS we were subjected to on DVD (music replacements, editing, suspect transfers, abandoned seasons, and throwing 100 shows to the release schedule wall to see what sticks) then they might as well not bother.

Then there's the whole aspect ratio boondoggle. There's no reason to crop a 4x3 show to 16x9; you save space by leaving it in 4x3, and for black bar haters, Disney came up with a solution on the new "Pinocchio" BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks