-

Photo
- - - - -

Batgirl Is Barbara....Wilson ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 12:41 PM

I don't know why I never caught this before, but with the release of the REAL Batman movies (Batman/Batman Returns) on blu-ray, I got to thinking. In the movie, she us Alfred's niece. How could they mess something like that up ? I thought that she was the commissioner's daughter, Barbara Gordon. I guess that it's just another in a long line of reasons that the second two Batman movies joined Begins and Dark Knight in the SUCK hall of fame.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I don't know why I never caught this before, but with the release of the REAL Batman movies (Batman/Batman Returns) on blu-ray, I got to thinking. In the movie, she us Alfred's niece. How could they mess something like that up ? I thought that she was the commissioner's daughter, Barbara Gordon. I guess that it's just another in a long line of reasons that the second two Batman movies joined Begins and Dark Knight in the SUCK hall of fame.
Well you have the right to your opinion. As far as Batman Begins and The Dark Knight being in the "suck hall of fame" as you put it, your view is in the minority. I agree that screwing up Batgirl certainly did no good for Batman and Robin, but, more is wrong there then just that. It's a special effects rollercoaster that goes no where after the "ohh and ahhh" moments. The performances are crap and you get the impression through the entire film that that's an okay thing. They didn't want anything getting in the way of those money shots. Having said that, it is fun to watch the action and effects even knowing that's all it is on a whole. Out of the seven feature films made so far, Batman and Robin, in my opinion is the weakest.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 01:41 PM

Quote:
I guess that it's just another in a long line of reasons that the second two Batman movies joined Begins and Dark Knight in the SUCK hall of fame.
Way to flame bait, man.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 01:42 PM

Troy, the Burton films are still my favorites. Both Batman Begins and Dark Knight were "ok" (I still don't own DK). So it's nice to know I'm in good company. As far as the Batgirl blunder, I just chalked it up to convinence for the writers. B+R is the weakest but I think it's the most kid friendly. If my 6 year old wants to see a Batman movie, I'll stick that one in.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,994 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 10 2009 - 02:46 PM

I don't even really like Batman Begins of The Dark Knight but that doesn't mean that they suck.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:04 PM

Spottedfeather, by saying that the current Batman films are inferior to Burtons, you have made the subject that you intended for this thread non existent. Burton's films are good but compared to Nolan's there a steaming pile of crap. Nolan's films are simpley superior to Burtons in everyway.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,994 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Film
Spottedfeather, by saying that the current Batman films are inferior to Burtons, you have made the subject that you intended for this thread non existent.
Saying that the Nolan movies suck is the intended subject.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:17 PM

I would have definitely pegged you as a Nolan Batman fan, Travis. Learn something new all the time.

For me, there's only Batman, Begins and TDK. I hated every minute of Returns, though it wasn't due to incompetent filmmaking. I like a lot of Burton and admire most of the rest. The other two need not even be mentioned.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 04:11 PM

There's a word, man... I can't remember it. Wait a tick! Wait for it, wait for it.

REBOOT!

Different people have different interprations... and opinions apprarently. I for one have more fond memories growing watching and playing with my Batman and Batman Returns films and toys then I do with most films but the words "The Dark Knight" sucks will never, ever... EVER come out of my mouth.

Besides, would'nt it be more believable that the offspring of a commisioner would be better suited for crimefighting then a butler?

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 347 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted March 10 2009 - 04:14 PM

In Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, "Barbara" is Gordon's wife.

Eeeeewwwww.........
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
I guess that it's just another in a long line of reasons that the second two Batman movies joined Begins and Dark Knight in the SUCK hall of fame.

Well.....that's one way to liven things up in the forum.

Cue the lynch mobs. Posted Image
Recently watched- Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"I can help! I can save you! I can save everybody!"

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,994 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
I would have definitely pegged you as a Nolan Batman fan, Travis. Learn something new all the time.
Yeah, I do love the dark stuff so it seems like they'd be up my gloomy alley. Posted Image Like I said, I don't think they're bad movies and I understand why people like them, they just didn't work for me.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 05:14 AM

Is a separate thread needed for this? Couldn't this be moved to the Official Batman & Robin discussion thread?

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brooks
In Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, "Barbara" is Gordon's wife.

Eeeeewwwww.........

Well, both Gordon's wife and daughter are named Barbara in the comics, so they got that right. Jim Gordon's son is named after him, so they went through a lot of names before they picked those two, apparently.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Osborne
Is a separate thread needed for this? Couldn't this be moved to the Official Batman & Robin discussion thread?

It's separate because the OP wanted to be a troll out in the open. I'm surprised so many people gave him a reply. Waste of server space.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,196 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 11 2009 - 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
Well, both Gordon's wife and daughter are named Barbara in the comics, so they got that right. Jim Gordon's son is named after him, so they went through a lot of names before they picked those two, apparently.
And the baby from "Begins" is shown as a little red-haired girl in "Dark Knight", so I think we can assume she'll be the one to grow up and be Batgirl someday.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
And the baby from "Begins" is shown as a little red-haired girl in "Dark Knight", so I think we can assume she'll be the one to grow up and be Batgirl someday.

Actually I think in the "Nolanverse" it'd be more likely that she gets hit by a bus as a teenager than ever getting within a 100 yards of a batsuit.

Oh and regarding the Nolan and Burton films, they both suck compared to the *real* Batman movie:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-D
Actually I think in the "Nolanverse" it'd be more likely that she gets hit by a bus as a teenager than ever getting within a 100 yards of a batsuit.

Oh and regarding the Nolan and Burton films, they both suck compared to the *real* Batman movie:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That campy garbage?
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Film
That campy garbage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-D
Posted Image