Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ABC Prepares to Reboot 'V'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 10 2009 - 12:10 PM

For those that remember the original 1980s series 'V', it appears as thought Battlestar's success, etc. has let ABC look at old properties, and 'V' is being produced as a pilot for potential next year. I have to admit, done right, this is a story that has the right concept and would benefit a great deal from better special effects, etc.

Rants & Reviews - The Futon's First Look: "V" (ABC, Script) | TheFutonCritic.com

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Knox

Charles Knox

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 03:31 AM

When I just 5 years old, I remember watching the alien birth scene just a few weeks before my sister was born. Talk about having some nightmares.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 05:27 AM

Yeah I read something about this recently. I loved V as a kid in the 80s and own all of the stuff on dvd - it really could do well if done right.

Let's just hope that they don't rely on the much improved special effects at the expense of the deeper story and characters that made the original so great.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 06:59 AM

I liked the original but I'm not sure a xenophobic show is what we need right now.

On the other hand, maybe the lizards' exploitation of Earth will have some parallels to our own ways, rather than being a warning about "others".
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 08:49 AM

The new "V" has been kicked around for years now. There are a few threads on this going back a ways.

Quote:
I liked the original but I'm not sure a xenophobic show is what we need right now.

I realize the original was a Nazi Germany allegory. I'm just worried that they are going to make a new one and it's going to be some kind of contemporary political allegory that we are already being constantly reminded of.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 09:35 AM

Look the allegory with WW2 helped give some depth to the story.

It doesn't matter which era they draw upon, just as long as the writing is good.

Science fiction draws on current affairs often too. It's a good thing if it is done well.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 09:38 AM

The script review points out it's still very referenced to WWII allegory. But, yeah, some things would change. This is a good potential concept (IMHO). I loved V as a kid, very few things as scary as watching someone pull their own face off Posted Image

trakt.tv

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter which era they draw upon, just as long as the writing is good.

Science fiction draws on current affairs often too. It's a good thing if it is done well.

You're right. I just would prefer if they just gave some of the "Hot Topics" like Global Warming, a certain recent administration, etc. a little bit of a rest since I'm pretty burnt out on all that stuff, but that's just me.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted March 11 2009 - 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
You're right. I just would prefer if they just gave some of the "Hot Topics" like Global Warming, a certain recent administration, etc. a little bit of a rest since I'm pretty burnt out on all that stuff, but that's just me.

No it's not just you. Posted Image

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 01:57 PM

On the other hand, it needs to be a conflict deeper than "we're mammals, you're lizards!"
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 01:56 AM

I think it makes sense to stick with the WW2 theme.

Obviously a lot has happened in the 25 years since the original show, so I'm sure some elements of recent years will play into it - but let's not forget that the show had elements that would play out in recent years.

I just really hope that it's good.

#12 of 33 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 02:26 AM

I think it should set after the first series. The Visitors have been packing by the human liberation forces, but then they re-invade after some time and it turns out a bunch of humans are actually Visitors in disguise, and some don't even know it. Then the humans all flee on a spaceship or something.

This is copyrighted now, so don't steal it Hollywood.

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 02:27 AM

Quote:

I don't see how they could avoid some of this because of the original show. Part of the promise of the original V was that the aliens were going to give us superior technology to help us with all sorts of things; so if the new show comes about, I expect aliens to promise everything from clean air to cures for diseases Posted Image

trakt.tv

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 03:01 AM

Quote:
so if the new show comes about, I expect aliens to promise everything from clean air to cures for diseases

I don't fully remember if in the original series it was ever specified what technologies the visitors were offering. It wasn't until the subsequent "The Final Battle" series that a cure for cancer was offered.

But even so, I'm fine if, say, the visitors said "we have technologies that can help you with what your scientists call "Global Warming" or something like that and surely, I would like to see some clever subtext in a new project. I would just hope they don't go for something that we are currently already being hammered with currently.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 03:58 AM

I just auditioned for this. I was a fan of the original and would really love to be a part of the reboot.
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Todd_B

Todd_B

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 05:58 AM

^^ cool

If they can make this reboot anywhere near the same caliber they did w/"BSG" I'd be a happy kid from the 80s again Posted Image
Darmok and Jilad, at Tanagra.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 01:26 AM

I loved this series when I was younger. As much as I think an updated version might be cool, I'm sort of sick of studios revisiting old series.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 06:47 PM

Filming underway and they are already putting up cast lists.

VisitorSite.net: V on ABC - News And Information

trakt.tv

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 21 2009 - 08:33 AM

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 21 2009 - 09:02 AM

Even though the story looks EXACTLY the same, it looks well done.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow