-

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-ray movies on SD TV question?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Billy918

Billy918

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:00 AM

When a Blu-ray movie is being viewed on a 4:3 standard definition TV will the picture and audio quality be exactly the same or better then regular DVD?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:36 AM

I watched a small portion of the Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray on my brother's PS3. He has a 13 inch SD television. It was a definite improvement over regular dvd, although it obviously comes nowhere near watching it on a HD television. Most television speakers are of a terrible quality, so I don't think you'll get a big improvement there.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,266 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy918
When a Blu-ray movie is being viewed on a 4:3 standard definition TV will the picture and audio quality be exactly the same or better then regular DVD?
Unless the BD player can down convert to SD, you can't watch a blu-ray on SD. I've never read anything about blu-ray players down converting to SD.

Edit: Brian beat me to it and apparently you can down convert to SD.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
I've never read anything about blu-ray players down converting to SD.

All Blu Ray players have SD outputs so that they can be connected to SD televisions if necessary.

Joe

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 04:37 AM

Yep. BD players work on SD tvs just fine. I used my first BD player (got it for the PCM sound) on an old crt rptv. Scales just fine and looks better than dvd because the bitrate is high (no digital artifacts) and there is little to no filtering (let's not bring up DNR now, woops.) so it will damn good and sound fantastic.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 11:44 AM

HD even on a standard TV looks much better then a standard DVD or TV signal.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Billy918

Billy918

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I read on other web sites that the picture would be slightly better due to the movies not being compressed on Blu-ray as they are on DVD.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,015 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 10 2009 - 01:18 PM

The major difference you will notice on an SDTV when viewing BD is the colour. Colour is better defined in HD. That and nowhere near as many compression artifacts.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 03:39 AM

i wonder if the analog outputs on standalone players try to output more than 480i? =P

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy918
Thanks for the info. I read on other web sites that the picture would be slightly better due to the movies not being compressed on Blu-ray as they are on DVD.

Exactly. I've got my Blu-ray player plugged into an SD TV as well as a projector, and watching it on the regular TV, any of the compression artifacts that might be visible on DVDs just aren't there. It's not night and day, but it's there.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,015 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 11 2009 - 02:01 PM

Another thing that will help is if you have component inputs on your TV. Although the resolution will only be 480i, it will look cleaner.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 05:03 PM

Are there any downconversion artifacts that come from downconverting HD to 16:9 SD?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers
Are there any downconversion artifacts that come from downconverting HD to 16:9 SD?

Absolutely none that I've seen.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,863 posts

Posted March 13 2009 - 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers

I'd say there are *always* gonna be some degree of artifacts when the conversion is not a perfectly reversible, 1-to-1 mapping process. Whether artifacts are actually noticeable or distracting to *you* will depend on how it's actually done (ie. by your player, TV, etc) and your own eyesight (and what you tend to notice or not).

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow