Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

50 Interesting Facts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   homevideo45

homevideo45

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 07:50 PM

Quote:
A compilation of 50 interesting facts.
Some (Many in fact) may be an already known fact. But the list is worth a look..

1. If you are right handed, you will tend to chew your food on your right side. If you are left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.

2. If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. For when a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.

3. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

4. Your tongue is germ free only if it is pink. If it is white there is a thin film of bacteria on it.

5. The Mercedes-Benz motto is “Das Beste oder Nichts” meaning “the best or nothing”.

6. The Titanic was the first ship to use the SOS signal.

7. The pupil of the eye expands as much as 45 percent when a person looks at something pleasing.

8. The average person who stops smoking requires one hour less sleep a night.

9. Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.

10. The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

11. Dalmatians are born without spots.

12. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

13. The ‘v’ in the name of a court case does not stand for ‘versus’, but for ‘and’ (in civil proceedings) or ‘against’ (in criminal proceedings).

14. Men’s shirts have the buttons on the right, but women’s shirts have the buttons on the left.

15. The owl is the only bird to drop its upper eyelid to wink. All other birds raise their lower eyelids.

16. The reason honey is so easy to digest is that it’s already been digested by a bee.

17. Roosters cannot crow if they cannot extend their necks.

18. The color blue has a calming effect. It causes the brain to release calming hormones.

19. Every time you sneeze some of your brain cells die.

20. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.

21. The verb “cleave” is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.

22. When you blush, the lining of your stomach also turns red.

23. When hippos are upset, their sweat turns red.

24. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle was built in 1903, and used a tomato can for a carburetor.

25. The lion that roars in the MGM logo is named Volney.

26. Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.

27. Switching letters is called spoonerism. For example, saying jag of Flapan, instead of flag of Japan.

28. It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.

29. The attachment of the human skin to muscles is what causes dimples.

30. There are 1,792 steps to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

31. The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.

32. Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.

33. It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.

34. The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

35. Most soccer players run 7 miles in a game.

36. The only part of the body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It takes in oxygen directly from the air.

37. Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die.

38. In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch (and make it look like it
is smiling).

39. Colgate faced big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries. Colgate translates into the command “go hang yourself.”

40. The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning its head are the rabbit and the parrot.

41. Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

42. The average person laughs 13 times a day.

43. Do you know the names of the three wise monkeys? They are:Mizaru(See no evil), Mikazaru(Hear no evil), and Mazaru(Speak no evil)

44. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

45. German Shepherds bite humans more than any other breed of dog.

46. Large kangaroos cover more than 30 feet with each jump.

47. Whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.

48. Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn. Suddenly the pigs, all two thousand of them, escaped through a broken fence and stampeded, trampling the two hapless protesters to death.

49. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural cause.

50. The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet!!
Interesting stuff.... some of them seem true as far as I can say...

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 11:10 PM

Fun "facts" to play with.

But #26 is wrong. The actual term is googol. (Which is on Google's web site.)

And I'm pretty sure I read that #32 is wrong. Hair and fingernails appear to grow afer death because the surrounding tissue contracts.

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   CameronJ

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:12 AM

And 9 and 42 are inconsistent. If people laugh between 15 and 100 times a day than the average must be above 13...

#4 of 70 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:36 AM

What's the source of this list?

Quote:
13. The ‘v’ in the name of a court case does not stand for ‘versus’, but for ‘and’ (in civil proceedings) or ‘against’ (in criminal proceedings).
Not only wrong, but self-evidently wrong. "Versus" means "against", and the "v" doesn't have a different meaning in criminal and civil proceedings.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:40 AM

Maybe it's the same people who write those Snapple bottlecap things which I've heard are sometimes incorrect...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
10. The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.
Really???

Quote:
21. The verb “cleave” is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
Nope. I am pretty sure there is another one (and probably a few others), I am this close to recalling it. Aaaaaaaargh! I was struggling to write somethign and it occured to me that this stupid word could meant the exact opposite depending on the context. Looked it up and sho'nuff, there it was.

EDIT: Never mind, I misunderstood the claim made in #21. I was rather thinking of words that mean opposite things depending on the context. Maaaa baaaaad.

EDIT: Now if any of the words I am thinking of (and desperatly failing to remember) had synonyms for both their meanings, then I guess they would qualify for the original claim. So I wasn't completely wrong Posted Image

--
H

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:54 AM

TO SANCTION!

Man, that was driving me nuts. Posted Image

--
H

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 10 2009 - 04:35 AM

isn't the sound in a shell to your ear the air flowing in and out of the shell.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
isn't the sound in a shell to your ear the air flowing in and out of the shell.

No, that one is true. There are others which are definitely wrong and some which are dubious at best.

And one -

48. Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn. Suddenly the pigs, all two thousand of them, escaped through a broken fence and stampeded, trampling the two hapless protesters to death.

- that's nothing more than a news item (or an anectdote).

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 05:15 AM

The Titanic one seems to be untrue:

SOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The first ship to transmit an SOS distress call appears to have been the Cunard liner Slavonia on June 10, 1909, according to "Notable Achievements of Wireless" in the September, 1910 Modern Electrics.

- and -

snopes.com: Titanic First Ship to Use an SOS

Cites 6 uses of SOS before Titanic.

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 05:19 AM

3. Is just wrong.

24. The first Harley-Davidson engine was built in 1901 (you attached it to your own bicycle). The first factory assembled H-D motorcycle wasn't sold until 1904. (By contrast you could buy a Hildebrand & Wolfmuller motorcycle in 1894)

32. No, the skin retracts

40. Not including some 10,000+ varieties of fish and 1,000,000+ varieties of insect.

49. Just an urban legend that won't die.

But I do have a pretty good fact myself.

51. Restaurant's around the world sell Mahi-Mahi, This unusual hawaiian name is used because people wouldn't order 'Dolphin Fish' because it is often confused with 'Dolphin' (the adorable sea-mammal)
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#12 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 01:30 PM

Quote:
3. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

The best way I've found in all the years of working in professional kitchens is to refrigerate the onions before cutting them.

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
Are you sure?
Clip - fasten; detach
Fast - quick; unmoving
Garnish - enhance; curtail
Sanction - approve; boycott (Thanks, H!)
Transparent - invisible; obvious
Left - remaining; departed
Strike - hit; miss
Screen - show; hide

There are more.

Quote:
26. Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.
As Al pointed out, it's "Googol", and it's only 100 zeros, not a million zeros.

Quote:
32. Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.
What Al said. If we're talking about zombies, however, all bets are off.

Quote:
40. The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning its head are the rabbit and the parrot.
Do insects count? Nothing can see behind itself better than a dragonfly.

Quote:
14. Men’s shirts have the buttons on the right, but women’s shirts have the buttons on the left.
That's so we can undress eath other! Posted Image

-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#14 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 02:42 PM

I think the only "Fact" seen here is that silly internet lists of "Facts" are probably not "facts" at all. Posted Image

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:07 PM

To paraphrase Disraelli - "The parts that are interesting are not facts, and the parts that are factual are not interesting."

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
The best way I've found in all the years of working in professional kitchens is to refrigerate the onions before cutting them.

You can also cut it in a bowl of water, but yours is probably more practical.

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:32 PM

Or you can just suck it up like a man. Good grief.

--
H

#18 of 70 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:40 PM

Dear God, we should just rename the thread "Fifty things we can all pick apart"Posted Image
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
What's the source of this list?
Quote:
Not only wrong, but self-evidently wrong. "Versus" means "against", and the "v" doesn't have a different meaning in criminal and civil proceedings.

If it were British in origin, then it would be correct: assuming we (in Singapore) inherited the convention from the Brits, together with their common law and most of our legal system, we do indeed refer to civil and criminal cases differently, as stated, so the "v" does notionally mean different things. And we don't actually use the word "versus" in referring to case names.

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
If it were British in origin, then it would be correct: assuming we (in Singapore) inherited the convention from the Brits, together with their common law and most of our legal system, we do indeed refer to civil and criminal cases differently, as stated, so the "v" does notionally mean different things. And we don't actually use the word "versus" in referring to case names.
I defer to your knowledge of the British system, although I'd be curious to learn the distinction between criminal and civil case names.

I was speaking of the American legal system, which, despite descending from the British system, differs from it in ways both great (e.g., the American rule on attorneys' fees) and small (we do use the word "versus" in case names).
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow