What's new

1st time watching Blade Runner, Which Version? (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Never saw Blade Runner and bought the Blu-ray (which has 5 differnet versions) based on what is considered universal recommendation of it.

So for the first veiwing with the family which is the best version to watch?
  1. RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM
  2. 1982 THEATRICAL VERSION
  3. 1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION
  4. 1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT
  5. WORKPRINT VERSION

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
Start with the International Version...It's the one most of us greew up with for those of us who first saw in on Video. Then Do the Final Cut. After that do the Workprint Version.

Then Repeat viewings with the version that you like the best. I prefer the Final Cut but it really is to each his own with Blade Runner. My best friend will only watch the International Version.

And enjoy the film. I envy you in seeing it for the first time.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
i'd say final for sure if it were me giving a opinion, coming from a long time many version fan

-Gary

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Having seen the theatrical cut on release day, I have to say start with the Final Cut. While I loved Blade Runner from that first day, for my money The Final Cut its the best version of the film.

Doug

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The Final Cut is the best version of the film. For curiosity's sake, I'd also watch the International Version to see it with the voice over.

troy evans

Screenwriter
The Final Cut, in my opinion, is the best version of this film. You should really watch them all and form your own opinion.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I bought the five-disc too, only to find out the discs were labeled correctly, but disc one and disc five were both the Workprint Edition. Since I have never seen Blade Runner as well, I wanted to start with the Final Cut, which I still don't have received yet. So, the entire package is still unseen, unfortunately.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
As an interesting historical exercise, you could watch the theatrical or international cut (not much difference between them), followed by the director's cut and finishing off with the final cut--that way you could see the progression from the viewer's point of view.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the opinion guys looks like the Final is winning out.

But I am guessing I should have emphasized first time for the whole family (me included).

While I’ll most definitely sit down to multiple versions. I only have one shot to get my wife, daughter (16) and son (10) into it. And for them I’m more concerned as to which one first. I can pretty much bet the house that they will not be so interested in watching the film three and four times for development concerns. Sometimes they could care less about deleted scenes and stuff.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
this movie is a fine film.. its not for everyone. its a very stylish movie and might be considered very slow todays standards. I would recommend you and the wife watching it. its R rated for a reason.

Jacob

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I have to agree, the 16 and 10 year old are probably going to find the film rather boring and are likely to not grasp everything that is going on. As has been stated, it is a very dark film and is rated R for a reason.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Definitely. My parents took me to see this with them when I was nine, and I didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent film - I'll also recommend the final cut first. I had actually never seen this until it came out on HD-DVD. Based upon others' recommendations, I watched the final cut first, followed by the international version, then the workprint. Then the "Dangerous Days" documentary.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would go with final cut first if it's the first time watching with your wife. I don't see any problems with letting your 16 year-old watch it, but 10 is way too young. My 14 year-old has asked and I've told her she's not ready yet.

As a side note, the DC was my first official "date" with my wife. She'll never watch it again, but she did buy the briefcase set on DVD for Christmas when it came out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There is more action in any randomly-selected 15 minute stretch of any of those movies you mentioned (except the original Day the Earth Stood Still) than there is in all of Blade Runner. If the 10-year-old is *really* into Science Fiction, then he might enjoy it.

I recommend watching the International Version with the kids (at least the 10-year-old), since the voiceovers make the story much easier to follow.

There is some bloody violence, but not more than they've already seen, and there is a little nudity, but no raunchy sex scenes. As with all kids, YMMV.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Yeah if they can handle those flicks then you've got nothing to worry about with Blade Runner. The only question is how much they'll enjoy it, as it is a cerebral head-trip of an experience. That being said it really is a great movie that only gets better with repeat viewings if one has the patience for it.

I'll agree with others here that the Final Cut is the way to go. It's really the most polished and complete version of the film yet at the same time not a radically changed "revisionist" version. The icing on the cake is that it has the most gorgeous picture quality of all the versions, so if nothing else the family can admire how good looking a 27-year old film can be.

Happy viewing!

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
I would show The Final Cut. It is intended to be the 'definitive' version of the film.

Reading carefully, it sounds like everyone in the family wants to see this film after seeing that it ranked as one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. So like it or hate it...they asked for it!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Depends on the individual. Restricted rating aside there's no reason why a 16 year old wouldn't be able to follow the film. I first watched BR in 1982 and had no trouble "grasping" it at the age of 14.

FWIW - watch the International version first. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks