-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Little Rusty With This

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 lizardman_45230

lizardman_45230

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 08 2009 - 05:57 AM

I just recieved a 5.1ch speaker system from a friend. The specs on it is max 120w(front) 120w(center) 300w(sub) all at 8ohms. Now my question is do i need an amplifier or a reciever? the connection diagram says amplifier, and if amplifier what size to make best sound? Thank you guys very much hope to hear from you soon. MikePosted Image

#2 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,691 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 08 2009 - 08:44 AM

You would need a receiver, to provide a way of controlling the volume if nothing else Posted Image . As for which kind, it depends on what your hooking up to it such as a dvd player , cd player, etc. BTW, what speaker set is it?
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 lizardman_45230

lizardman_45230

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 10:01 AM

id be hooking up my ps3 and vcr. the speaker system is a epic-5.1 from there digital series.

#4 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,691 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 09 2009 - 02:24 PM

The only "Epic" speaker system I can find while Googling is from Axiom Audio and I'm sure your friend didn't give you any of these. More than likely they are from the famous White Van brigade and were originally sold out of the back of a van or truck in a shopping center parking lot. These are also sold on eBay as "Da Vinci" and "Genesis" among other names. If these are indeed flea market style speakers then un-fortunately these are usually of very poor quality and can dip below 2 ohms which can possibly harm/damage an amplifier or receiver.

If you still plan on trying to use them and are in need of a receiver to power them then I would find a good used one on eBay or Craigslist. Look for a 5.1 channel receiver, not a stereo one. Those speakers probably won't be worth spending too much money on a receiver to go with them. Not what you wanted to hear but sometimes the truth hurts.

Hookup should be straight-forward. Speaker wire, a subwoofer cable and some audio/video cables should be all that's needed. If you do pickup a receiver let us know and we'll give you a hand with the installation.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.