What's new

Terminator 3 on May 25th, 2009 in U.K. on Blu-ray from Sony!!! (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
if this info from amazon.de is correct, then we are in for a treat. no details yet what specs the film will have but i have no doubt it will be 1080p, avc, dolby true-hd or pcm.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I wonder whether they figured out what the composition of the shots was meant to be -- remember all that confusion about how the DVD did not match the theatrical framing at all in the scenes when the Terminatrix first appeared.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

wasn't the problem still on hd-dvd/blu-ray from warner? i hope they fix this because it pissed me of when i saw the film on dvd and wondered why they changed the composition of the beer bottle drop. in the theatrical release who actually saw the bottle hit the bridge and bouncing off.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
I have lots of doubt--there's no reason to believe it's any different from the reissue of the earlier disc that the US is getting.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

Why not? Sony owns the overseas rights on this title. Sony has a 100% track record for lossless soundtracks on their BDs. Warner's record continues to be very spotty, and IIRC they have only re-released two lossy titles with lossless sound: The Polar Express in 3D and Superman Returns.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
...because I just looked at the title, and ignored the company. :eek:

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
welp, the br is shipped here in germany and i was right all along :P

avc and dolby true-hd in english and german. i cannot say how it looks. but from what i've read it's def a damn good sound on this br. i may get it tomorrow. then i can say more about.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

That controversy came from someone who didn't understand the principle of 'Super35', didn't it? I remember some complaining that the widescreen version missed pieces of image compared to the fullscreen version.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
No, no, it was actually a contrast based on screenshots from an audience-shot theatrical presentation versus the dvd. Shots had been recomposed in the opening reel when the Terminator appears naked.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have the region 2 of t3 DVD. it did include a DTS track.

Jacob

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
welp, i just checked the blu-ray and it's the same "butchered" transfer as any other current dvd/high-def release of this movie.

i cannot say much about the famous boob shot in the theatrical version as i don't remember them being seen. but i surely remember that you see the beer bottle hit a ledge when john drops it on the bridge. that scene is matted wrong and hence the bottle bounces of for no reason.

the audio is big step-up over the dolby digital track on the warner release. for the video they don't give much of a difference. the sony release should be a tad better due to the higher bitrate.

here are the bitrates for the sony blu-ray...

Length: 1:49:06
Total Bitrate: 40.82 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 26790 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 2679 kbps / 480p / 23.976 fps / 4:3 / High Profile 3.2
Audio: English / Dolby TrueHD Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1831 kbps / 16-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps)
Audio: German / Dolby TrueHD Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1833 kbps / 16-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps)
Audio: Czech / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps
Audio: Polish / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps
Audio: Russian / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps / Dolby Surround
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps / Dolby Surround
Audio: English / DTS Express / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps / 16-bit
Subtitle: English / 17.219 kbps
Subtitle: English / 59.332 kbps
Subtitle: English / 63.145 kbps
Subtitle: English / 45.993 kbps
Subtitle: Bulgarian / 15.481 kbps
Subtitle: Czech / 15.035 kbps
Subtitle: Estonian / 14.891 kbps
Subtitle: German / 21.723 kbps
Subtitle: German / 57.140 kbps
Subtitle: German / 60.456 kbps
Subtitle: German / 39.740 kbps
Subtitle: Greek / 17.554 kbps
Subtitle: Hebrew / 13.228 kbps
Subtitle: Hindi / 17.224 kbps
Subtitle: Icelandic / 16.465 kbps
Subtitle: Polish / 16.269 kbps
Subtitle: Russian / 1.033 kbps
Subtitle: Serbian / 16.721 kbps
Subtitle: Slovak / 16.731 kbps
Subtitle: Turkish / 17.079 kbps

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Sony corrects one of the most confounding decisions WB has ever made, putting this on HD without a lossless track. It shall be mine.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

And it's probably not going to be the last of this type of decision or error to happen.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
So is the entire movie matted wrong on every HD release of T3? Sorry, I'm kind of late to the party here but I'd like to know if I should upgrade from my HD DVD of T3 to this Sony release. Other than the TrueHD audio, the transfer is the same but butchered? Do I have this right?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Based on the screenshots that were posted some time back, I think the misframing only affects the first few minutes of the film. About half-way through the opening credit sequence, the framing becomes correct.

Vincent

Arild

Supporting Actor
It's worth noting that IF it is misframed, then it was like that on DVD as well.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The PQ is nothing to get excited over on this release. It's a bit grainier/noisier than Warners' soft-ish encode, and it still falls way short of the better looking blockbusters from the same period.

However, you can see where the money was put to better use; the action is so brilliantly staged that I can forgive the ugly lensing. I love that crane chase, and it (indeed the whole film) is a sonic delight in TrueHD.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

They should still be up, somewhere on the DVD section of this forum... unless... there were some server crashes between then and now...

So, just imagine a naked model walking down the street with an ominous stare on her face, and with her damp hair falling infront of her her breasts in that way that only happens in cheap-movies that need a PG rating. Now imagine for the DVD, they decide to zoom in on the image so it's just shoulders-up, even though the hair was doing the trick anyway.

That's about it. Not a big deal, but it does change the composition of the first few minutes of the film from wide shots to medium shots in the process (or medium shots to close-ups, I guess).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks