Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B&W DM#601 (pretty sure they are S1) LF Woofer Advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Bigsnowleopards

Bigsnowleopards

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 07 2009 - 04:31 PM

I was at my local second hand store and saw a pair of bookshelf B&W 601's. Didn't hesitate seeing as the price was $2.99 each and they were in flawless condition. I figured one of them might of been bad or they had a problem, sure enough woofers on both are shot.

I currently have a klipsch r3 set (rf3, rc3, ksw 12) and an outlaw audio 1050 receiver. I was thinking these might work as nice surrounds, however my dilemma is I need to replace the woofers. So in a wrap up I'm looking to find some woofers that would work in these 601s in the $75-$150 range.

The reason I say I'm pretty sure they are S1s is because there is no marking on the back indicating which one is which.

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   dragonetti

dragonetti

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted March 08 2009 - 08:58 PM

If you keep a look out on ebay you can probably find some replacement B&W drivers for those speakers for cheap. I don't know if the 602's and the 601's have the same drivers but there is a 6" 602 driver for sale right now, woofer model ZZ10129. Pull yours and check the woofer model #.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 12:58 AM

Contact B&W directly and see if they will sell you replacements or take Scott's advice and look them up on Ebay. I wouldn't advise putting anything but the OEM drivers in there.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Bigsnowleopards

Bigsnowleopards

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 01:36 PM

Appreciate the advice, i'll try B&W first, if all else fails ebay it is.