Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What Reciever to go with?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Kandy Orange Z

Kandy Orange Z

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2009

Posted March 07 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hello everyone, I am a new member to this forum and am looking for some advice! I am currently piecing together a home surround system. Im looking for a reciever now. In your opinions what is a good reciever in the $300-$500 range?
I have been looking at the Onkyo Tx-SR606 reciever. It seems to have some pretty good stats. But does it actually do a good job?

I will be primarily watching movies/playing PS3 with this surround.
To go along with it, I have a Polk CS350-LS center speaker, Polk psw125 sub..and am also looking for some nice,yet affordable front and rear speakers!
Any options on those will be appreciated as well!
Thanks.

#2 of 11 hodedofome

hodedofome

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 236 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 21 2006

Posted March 07 2009 - 05:07 AM

The Onkyo will be just fine for your budget, I love my 606.

#3 of 11 David Willow

David Willow

    Babbling Idiot

  • 1,986 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 23 2004
  • Real Name:Dave
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 07 2009 - 10:39 AM

I agree, the Onkyo is hard to beat.

If you plan to keep the Polk center, you should get timbre matched Polk mains. Normally the manufacturer sells these as sets. Check Polk's website to see what they suggest.

#4 of 11 Kandy Orange Z

Kandy Orange Z

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2009

Posted March 07 2009 - 12:12 PM

Im still on the fence about keeping the center speaker. Its HUGE. I purchased it online and didnt expect the speaker box to be so big, we'll see on that.
Do you have a model number for the polk front speakers your talking about?

#5 of 11 gene c

gene c

    Producer

  • 5,670 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 05 2003
  • Real Name:Gene
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 07 2009 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
Im still on the fence about keeping the center speaker.
That center speaker is a vintage product. About 15 years old. It's going to be difficult to find the correct matching fronts. Polk may have some other fronts that are kind of close but the front three really need to be a matched set. You would probably be better off selling the CS350-SL and getting a matched front/center set.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).
 
Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.
 
 

 


#6 of 11 Kandy Orange Z

Kandy Orange Z

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2009

Posted March 08 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the input so far! I have decided to re-sell my Polk center speaker (on Ebay if anyone's interested)
I will be going with the Onkyo reciever and the Polk cs10 center speaker (tsi series) and i am looking into the polk tsi 400 front speakers. Any input on that setup?

#7 of 11 David Willow

David Willow

    Babbling Idiot

  • 1,986 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 23 2004
  • Real Name:Dave
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 08 2009 - 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy Orange Z
Thanks for the input so far! I have decided to re-sell my Polk center speaker (on Ebay if anyone's interested)
I will be going with the Onkyo reciever and the Polk cs10 center speaker (tsi series) and i am looking into the polk tsi 400 front speakers. Any input on that setup?

Have you listened to them?

#8 of 11 sestamuch

sestamuch

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 246 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 15 2009

Posted March 08 2009 - 06:45 PM

Onkyo is alright.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy Orange Z
Hello everyone, I am a new member to this forum and am looking for some advice! I am currently piecing together a home surround system. Im looking for a reciever now. In your opinions what is a good reciever in the $300-$500 range?
I have been looking at the Onkyo Tx-SR606 reciever. It seems to have some pretty good stats. But does it actually do a good job?

I will be primarily watching movies/playing PS3 with this surround.
To go along with it, I have a Polk CS350-LS center speaker, Polk psw125 sub..and am also looking for some nice,yet affordable front and rear speakers!
Any options on those will be appreciated as well!
Thanks.


#9 of 11 Kandy Orange Z

Kandy Orange Z

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2009

Posted March 09 2009 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Willow
Have you listened to them?

I have heard them at my local best buy. They sound good in there, but Best Buy has way more of a room than i have to fill.

#10 of 11 David Willow

David Willow

    Babbling Idiot

  • 1,986 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 23 2004
  • Real Name:Dave
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 09 2009 - 12:20 PM

Listening is the most important thing you can do. Before you purchase them, I would suggest you listen to a few more speakers first just to be sure. Don't be afraid to listen to more expensive speakers even if you don't plan to get them. Also look at internet direct speakers like Axiom and SVS.

#11 of 11 CB750

CB750

    Screenwriter

  • 1,035 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 2008

Posted March 10 2009 - 07:30 AM

I ditto what Dave Willow has to say about speakers. Listen to as many speakers as you can as they are the most individual part of your system and it is important that they work together as a team to produce the results you want. Since used speakers don't bring much in resale value you will probably going to live with you purchase for a few years so don't skimp with this important part of you system. Don't be afraid to bring your own sources of listening material to audition speakers.

I would say as a general rule with the exception of Bose cubes which use a special Bose created music program to demo the system. That most systems will probabley sound better at home than in most stores like Best Buy. In fact that must be the marketing method used by on line only sellers like SVS and Axiom that once you get their speakers in your home you are not going to return them.


Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow