What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pinocchio -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The miracle workers as Disney have taken an old nitrate SE negative, and turned it into an extraordinary entertainment fit for the 21st century.

With all of the original elements safely duplicated with redundancy, I have no problem with yet another new incarnation of majestic, classic Disney animation.

Compared to the last SD release, resolution is far beyond in every way, the last looking very much the dupe of a dupe that it was. Tens of thousands of bits of "Disney dust" have been eliminated along with whatever wear there was, and color and detail have reached a new high.

Because of the original printing process, what you can now project or view in your home theater will be far sharper and with higher resolution that one could see at the Bijou in well... February of 1940.

While a 70th Anniversary Edition sounds nice, it just isn't so. Pinocchio premiered in the U.S. on February 7, 1940.

Regardless of age, which Disney still does not discuss -- only a small mention of "2009 Blu-ray Release," this set, labeled "2-disc" which is actually a 3-disc, will charm and terrorize the youth of the 21st century anew.

On a personal note, as someone affected, I applaud Disney's intro against second hand smoke. The execs have sent the correct message. Nothing healthier for someone in utero than a nice smoke.

Pinocchio has been brilliantly re-worked and brought to Blu-ray. This is a disc perfect in every detail, inclusive of the original RKO Radio logo.

Once again, the technical staff and vendors used by Disney have performed in a yeoman-like fashion.

Pinocchio is Highly Recommended!

Happy 69th Pinocch!

RAH

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A title I've been highly anticipating and one that dovetails nicely with my recent visit to Rome (and the nice wooden, hand-carved Pinocchio dolls I brought back for my children). Looking forward to this one. Glad to know it comes highly recommended.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert. I just ordered a copy. I did come across this contrary opinion though, from someone named Jon Olivan, on the Amazon page:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ An animation fan that hates a new release of a classic title? NO WAY!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Anyway, thanks for the review, RAH. I'm looking forward to it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pinocchio always had a muted pastel look to the backgrounds. Monstro the Whale had some the most complex coloring that I have seen in a traditionally animated film. The shading on Monstro was amazing.

I would like to know if the film maintains the muted color palette or has the color been pumped to make it look like the flat, inferior, color stylings that modern 2D animated films took on?

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator

I don't. It's bad enough I have to sit through FBI warnings, commentary disclaimers by the studio, trailers (I love trailers but make them a menu item and not required viewing before the movie), etc.

Now I have to sit through some PC banter about second-hand smoke? What's next from Disney - a surcharge for carbon footprints? An anti soda campaign? A trash the Twinkies and MacDonalds fat diatribe?

Disney has deleted and manipulated scenes in some of their classic animation movies in the interest of being PC. They are so paranoid about "offending" someone they have taken this to pathological extremes and as a result we'll likely never see Song Of The South or Fantasia or Dumbo or what have you in their original forms. Sad days.

Brad

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
LOL if you think it is about them caring for anyone's health. :rolleyes:

It is more about them caring for thier bottom line.

If it means they didn't tamper with the scenes, then I guess it is better to get a lecture up front than to watch an edited feature.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was being sarcastic and I realize that Disney doesn't care if I drop dead from smoking 5 packs a day if I buy their stuff before I croak. Like you said, if a PSA means that they aren't 'erasing' the smoking from the movie, I'm fine with it.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Anyone remember how the "50th Anniversary Edition" of Lady and The Tramp was actually its 51st anniversary? I was always wondering where that extra year went. Evidently, they banked it and gave it to Pinocchio.

I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for the review, RAH.

-R

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Considering Walt himself died from smoking, the warning is a little too little too late, really.

But I prefer the warning over cutting out the smoking scenes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that the target audience for this film are kids. I'm okay with the anti-smoking PSA (as someone whose father who used to chain smoke). If it means they leave the scenes in the movie, all the better.

Hey if this works, maybe they'll do a PSA for anti-racism and finally release Song of the South? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks