Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Daniel Boone - Decent Quality?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 10:06 AM

I saw a listing for a five season pack of Daniel Boone for only $76 (about $15 a season). Looks like a pretty good deal and I remember enjoying some episodes as a kid. For those that have some of the these:

How is the video quality (I'm seeing a mix of reviews)?
How well do the stories hold up to viewing today?
Are the later seasons better, the same, or worse then the earlier episodes?

Thanks for any feedback.

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 12:14 PM

i found the video quality quite good, but I am still working through season 1.

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb
I saw a listing for a five season pack of Daniel Boone for only $76 (about $15 a season). Looks like a pretty good deal and I remember enjoying some episodes as a kid. For those that have some of the these:

How is the video quality (I'm seeing a mix of reviews)?
How well do the stories hold up to viewing today?
Are the later seasons better, the same, or worse then the earlier episodes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Brad, I own all 6 seasons of the show. Here's my opinion on both A/V quality per season and how the seasons hold up today.

The first season is in b/w and was my favorite. It was a little more hard-edged in it's storytelling and felt more like a traditional western than a family show. Not that kids couldn't watch it, of course. But it was grittier. Unfortunately, the first season is the worst of the bunch A/V wise. It's not anything close to some of the Timeless or Alpha releases you might see from time to time. It's more than watchable. But it's not up to the level of something like RAWHIDE or GUNSMOKE in it's audio and video presentation. But the episodes are so good I couldn't imagine not owning the first season.

Seasons 2-6 are all color seasons and the A/V is very solid on all these. The stories actually become more and more "family-friendly" as the seasons move along, but they're still very enjoyable to me. Then again, I have two young teenage daughters and we don't watch modern trash so this is right up our alley.

I'd say don't hesitate to buy a 5 season set at that price. That's a great deal for a great show.

Gary "I wouldn't wait too long to buy these either because the original group that distributed these has changed hands or gone out of business - something like that - so if you are on the edge about the show I'd go ahead and buy them now" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Brad, I own all 6 seasons of the show. Here's my opinion on both A/V quality per season and how the seasons hold up today.

The first season is in b/w and was my favorite. It was a little more hard-edged in it's storytelling and felt more like a traditional western than a family show. Not that kids couldn't watch it, of course. But it was grittier. Unfortunately, the first season is the worst of the bunch A/V wise. It's not anything close to some of the Timeless or Alpha releases you might see from time to time. It's more than watchable. But it's not up to the level of something like RAWHIDE or GUNSMOKE in it's audio and video presentation. But the episodes are so good I couldn't imagine not owning the first season.

Seasons 2-6 are all color seasons and the A/V is very solid on all these. The stories actually become more and more "family-friendly" as the seasons move along, but they're still very enjoyable to me. Then again, I have two young teenage daughters and we don't watch modern trash so this is right up our alley.

I'd say don't hesitate to buy a 5 season set at that price. That's a great deal for a great show.

Gary "I wouldn't wait too long to buy these either because the original group that distributed these has changed hands or gone out of business - something like that - so if you are on the edge about the show I'd go ahead and buy them now" O.

Thanks, good to know. I have two younger daughter (2 and 6) so I'm always on the look out for shows we could all enjoy together. Based on what I saw on Amazon and briefly read on earlier threads, I had a suspicion these may be close to OOP. That may also have to do with the pricing. I was also hoping to get a more current positive response from someone who has had them for a while.

Edited: After a bit of waivering I broke down and bought it. At less then 60 cents an episode (hour) it is hard to beat if you have any interest in the material.

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 02:04 AM

Want an even better deal than the one listed above on Daniel Boone: Seasons 1-5? Right now CBD.com has this bundle listed at only $49.99!! That is an insane discount! If anyone here hasn't bought these yet now is the time if you have any interest whatsoever in this great show. I don't believe you'll ever see a better price than that. And CBD is a very reputable company, if anyone wants to know. I've been ordering things from them, at least one item every other month, for over 25 years now and never once had a problem.

Gary "can't believe that price for seasons 1-5" O.

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 02:23 AM

That's where I got it for $76. Looks like they lowered their price some more.

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,747 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Want an even better deal than the one listed above on Daniel Boone: Seasons 1-5? Right now CBD.com has this bundle listed at only $49.99!! That is an insane discount! If anyone here hasn't bought these yet now is the time if you have any interest whatsoever in this great show. I don't believe you'll ever see a better price than that. And CBD is a very reputable company, if anyone wants to know. I've been ordering things from them, at least one item every other month, for over 25 years now and never once had a problem.

Gary "can't believe that price for seasons 1-5" O.
That's a great deal. Awesome show, and an unbelievable price.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
That's a great deal. Awesome show, and an unbelievable price.

Yeah, it really is an unbeatable price for dvd sets that seem to be disappearing. Deep Discount doesn't carry anything other than the 6th Season set, and Amazon.com isn't much better. I'd say if anyone is interested at all in this series this is the time.

Gary "I just can't believe this bundle is going for such a discount!" O.

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 24 2009 - 01:34 PM

^The $49.95 price is because the Season 1-5 set is included in today's "Fabulous Friday" sale. It'll be back up to the "regular" price tomorrow.

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   Tom.W

Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, guys. This one wasn't high on my radar, but I always stopped to watch it for a while when it on the air in reruns. The color seasons are solid video-wise. That price is just too good to pass up, so I placed my order, at $49.99, an 80% savings!

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 25 2009 - 03:15 AM

Still showing up for the $49.99 price in spite being part of the "Fabulous Friday" sale titles... still time...

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 03:38 AM

I have been watching season 1 and am very happy with the video and audio quality. I have all 6 seasons, and am looking forward to watching the series again.

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 04:17 AM

This has been one of my wife's and daughters' favorite series. Mine too, of course. It's been one of the better series I've invested in as far as family viewing goes.

Gary "I still can't get over that price" O.

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 04:53 AM

I watched it and Little House last night. Both are great family series.

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 25 2009 - 08:15 AM

Gary, I first saw this deal posted at the superb DVD TALK Bargains thread, which has become daily reading for me of late. I was about to PM you about the sale, but remembered that you already had the sets. I only had Season 1, so I went ahead and got this incredible bargain and will try to sell off my extra set once it's been OOP for awhile (right now Season 1 is selling for very cheap on its own, besides this unbelievable deal). I agree with you that once this show is out of circulation that will be most likely be it. There was even doubt that the final season was going to be released, so it's fortunate that the series was completed. Now if you see any great deals on Season 6 let us know.

It also bears mentioning that while the first season does have only average PQ and sometimes even less than that, it does have an amazingly aggressive 5.1 redub on it, which actually works very well. However, the original mono is also included if you'd rather preserve the show as broadcast. Gary, are the other seasons also 5.1?

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point-Blank
Gary, I first saw this deal posted at the superb DVD TALK Bargains thread, which has become daily reading for me of late. I was about to PM you about the sale, but remembered that you already had the sets. I only had Season 1, so I went ahead and got this incredible bargain and will try to sell off my extra set once it's been OOP for awhile (right now Season 1 is selling for very cheap on its own, besides this unbelievable deal). I agree with you that once this show is out of circulation that will be most likely be it. There was even doubt that the final season was going to be released, so it's fortunate that the series was completed. Now if you see any great deals on Season 6 let us know.

It also bears mentioning that while the first season does have only average PQ and sometimes even less than that, it does have an amazingly aggressive 5.1 redub on it, which actually works very well. However, the original mono is also included if you'd rather preserve the show as broadcast. Gary, are the other seasons also 5.1?

Point-Blank, all 6 seasons are in 5.1 and sound great. What you'll really notice though is that the visual quality will drastically improve with the 2nd season and stays great. The colors just jump through the TV screen with this series.

Gary "I'll definitely keep you in mind if I see a great deal on the final season set" O.

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   MCCLOUD

MCCLOUD

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Gary for the information on the 5 Season Daniel Boone DVD set for $49.99. I went to the CBD website and ordered a set last night. It was the first time I believe that I had heard of CBD. 5 Complete Seasons of Daniel Boone for $49.99 no tax and free shipping is incredible. Thanks again and have a good evening!

Robert

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCLOUD
Thanks Gary for the information on the 5 Season Daniel Boone DVD set for $49.99. I went to the CBD website and ordered a set last night. It was the first time I believe that I had heard of CBD. 5 Complete Seasons of Daniel Boone for $49.99 no tax and free shipping is incredible. Thanks again and have a good evening!

Robert

Glad to help, Robert. CBD is a great company that's been around for decades now and has never disappointed me. I feel confident that your experience with them will be a good one.

Gary "I do have to admit I liked the 1st season of the show, which was a bit edgier and more adult, than the other 5 seasons - but it's a great show all the way around no matter how you slice it" O.

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 12:17 AM

Gary, just a public thanks to you for bringing this great deal to our attention. I was really on the fence about buying this since I've been spending probably more than I should on DVDs lately. But I think this is truly a case of "strike while the iron is hot." I think there's enough evidence out there to suggest that "Daniel Boone" very well may go out of print and, possibly, not be reissued, given the aging demographics of its original audience. And, indeed, if it is reissued, it won't be at $10 per season. So thanks, again! I can't quite return the favor and I know that you have this already, but here's a great deal on Shout! Factory's second release (Best of Ricky & Dave) of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet."

The Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet Best Of Ricky & Dave DVD

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hug
Gary, just a public thanks to you for bringing this great deal to our attention. I was really on the fence about buying this since I've been spending probably more than I should on DVDs lately. But I think this is truly a case of "strike while the iron is hot." I think there's enough evidence out there to suggest that "Daniel Boone" very well may go out of print and, possibly, not be reissued, given the aging demographics of its original audience. And, indeed, if it is reissued, it won't be at $10 per season. So thanks, again! I can't quite return the favor and I know that you have this already, but here's a great deal on Shout! Factory's second release (Best of Ricky & Dave) of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet."

The Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet Best Of Ricky & Dave DVD

Thanks Bob. I do have the Ozzie & Harriet set, but it's a great deal and I highly recommend it to any that haven't bought that one yet.

I know you'll be glad you bought this Daniel Boone set. It's a fantastic deal and I'm pretty sure these are about to go OOP, so waiting is a bad move. This is the deal for this series, no doubt about it.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow