Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-Ray Review: Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,931 posts

Posted March 01 2009 - 02:35 PM

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the review! I recall a long while back seeing an IMAX documentary on the Grand Canyon and absolutely loving every minute of it. It was more of a historical documentary than this appears to be but I'll definitely be taking a look at this disc simply for the scenic beauty. To me there isn't much in this world that is more majestic than the Grand Canyon.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted March 12 2009 - 04:15 AM

Thank you for the review! I saw this in 3-D at an IMAX last year and really enjoyed it. I thought that overall, the 3-D was quite effective (including the "hopped up" title sequence.) It's unfortunate that the 3-D version is not included in this release, because I would definitely purchase it. As it stands, I will Netflix it. Since the film is only around 45 minutes long, I don't know why Image couldn't have included the 3-D version on the Blu-ray too. In an event, if you have not seen this film, it is well worth renting IMO.
Gary

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   ambientcafe

ambientcafe

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 15 2009 - 08:17 AM

The IMAX doc you are referring to is called 'Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets'. I saw this early 90's feature at the Omnimax Theater in 93', located just outside the south entrance to the Grand Canyon, of all places. That IMAX feature was actually better than being there in person, lol -- even tho I had just taken a nauseating Cessna flight over same an hour before. Unfortunately, the dvd transfer of that earlier film is absolutely horrific. I can tell you that 'GCA: River At Risk' on BD is the BEST that the Grand Canyon has ever looked (PQ-wise) for home presentation - bar none (even on my 140" scope screen), easily besting another recent Grand Canyon doc on Blu -- Questar's 'Scenic Nat'l Parks: Grand Canyon'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users