What's new

42' - 47' LCD (Under $1000) - Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

MattGentry

Second Unit
I have decided that now is the time. Time for me to upgrade from my current 27' Sony CRT to an LCD.

So, I thought I'd come here first, and see what advice could be given to me. I am looking for either a 42' or a 47', and am looking to spend somewhere in the realm of $1000 or less. I'm looking for as good as is humanly possible, given the price restriction.

I will use this for a large amount of film watching, and, also, a large amount of television watching. I also plan to use it for an XBOX 360, and a PS3 (which will be purchased as my Blu-Ray player).

So, any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance, and look forward to your replies.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
tough to do at that price point.

Consider Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba

MattGentry

Second Unit
Upon some research, I quickly realized that it was going to be tough to do, based upon the price point.

So, I've expanded my pricing to $1500. I also am open to a 40' Samsung, as what I've seen thus far, in regards to the Samsung, has been quite nice.

Thank you for the reply, and I look forward to whatever reply you have to this.

virp123

Auditioning
Real Name
vir
Hey!
Nice option...
you will get following 40-inch samsung LCD which are in your budget :
LN40A330 : $969.88
1366 x 768 Resolution
8000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
178º / 178º (H/V) Viewing Angle
6 ms Response Time

LN40A450 : $999.88
1366 x 768 Resolution
10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
178º / 178º Viewing Angle
6 ms Response Time
DNIe™
SRS TrusurroundXT

LN40A650 : $1,249.88
1080p Native Resolution
50000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
4 ms Response Time
DNIe Pro

LN40A530 : $1,129.88
1080p Native Resolution
20,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
5 ms Response Time
DNIe™

Compare these models, compare price, check reviews and decide....
Hope this help....

MattGentry

Second Unit
My new question, upon looking over the various Samsungs (thank you for those suggestions virp), is in regards to 120 Hz.

Is it as necessary a technology as one may be led to believe? Or, rather; in a real-world setting, is it something that I should have, given the amount of watching I will be doing?

And again, I thank you for the responses, and the advice in helping me make my choice.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Personally, I'd go for plasma, not LCD, for this size/price range unless you really feel burn-in will be a real issue for your intended uses. Yeah, plasma will consume more power, but unless you live in the NYC area or similar w/ particularly high rates for electricity use *and* plan to have it on for 8-plus hours a day, it's probably not gonna be all that noticeable on your electric bill. Of course, it'd still be good to help out some w/ the environment, but maybe there are other ways you can do that, eg. don't use the big plasma unless the size matters for the particular programming, the PS3 is pretty power hungry for watching movies, especially the older models, etc.

FWIW, we also use our PS3 for movies -- well, we rarely ever play games w/ it -- and plan to switch back to using the old Denon player for DVDs. We'll consume less power that way (~25W vs ~125W, IIRC) and also not wear out the PS3 too quickly -- we have 3 kids in the house, and they do put a good deal of wear on the players.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Vizio has its VO42LF (42" LCD) for about $900. Not a top performer, but I've seem positive comments on it, and it fits your original budget.

virp123

Auditioning
Real Name
vir
120hz technology lets the picture display smooth with crystal clear clarity even during fast action scences and sports.
Again, 120hz tech. can produce 3-D like picture.
Again, LCD with 120hz is good choice and is in budget.

fastev

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
I bought a Toshiba 42" 1080p 120hz from Costco a couple weeks ago. Thus far I have been very impressed with it's picture and ease of use. Might be worth a look; $999, model 42XV545U.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks