Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BD REVIEW: The Passion of the Christ - Definitive Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 04:58 PM

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,811 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 27 2009 - 01:35 AM

Thank you, Michael. Great review.

I already have my copy sitting on the shelf waiting for the appropriate time for a viewing. This is not a film I'd just throw in the machine on a whim--for me, there's a certain amount of planning required.

I am really looking forward to the lossless audio. I remember being wowed by the DVD sound and figure this has really got to be impressive.

Thanks!

You may want to reconsider the genre category you've chosen at the very beginning of your review... Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,619 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 27 2009 - 01:49 AM

I have my copy and will also wait until the appropriate time in April to view it. I've seen it before in 1080i last year so I'm looking forward to seeing it in 1080p and with lossless audio. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   PatW

PatW

Screenwriter

• 1,542 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 04:18 AM

Thanks also for the great review. I've been mulling it around as to whether or not I'll purchase this. I've seen it at the theatre and purchased the dvd but it sits unwatched. I guess it would be nice to have the best possible edition of this movie in case somewhere in the future, I can bear to watch it again. BTW I thought the movie was a masterpiece but extremely hard to watch.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 05:43 AM

I'm hoping that as we get closer to the 'appropriate time' this disc gets closer to my 'appropriate price' for a blind-buy. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,132 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 27 2009 - 06:25 AM

As someone who originally saw this in rather fragmented fashion ( I was running 2 prints at a 14 screen multiplex), I would personally advise against a blind buy. It's the kind of movie that you either see once and decide that you want to watch it on a regular basis, or you see once and it becomes permanently etched into your memory. The closest analogy I can find is Schindler's List, which I saw twice because I didn't want a close friend to have to experience it alone. Is it a well-made film? Yes. Is it gruesome? Yes. Does it teach valuable lessons? Yes. Do I need to own it so I can go back to it on a regular basis? In my case, no. I'd suggest a rental first.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanks, Stephen. I think I will do just that.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,527 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the review! Sadly I still haven't unwrapped my SD DVD of this film because for me this is one of those films I just can't watch very often. Schindler's List being another. It's just too emotionally powerful. So based on your review, and my viewing habits, I'm going to try the rental route in a couple months as I just don't think I can justify the upgrade based on my experience with the SD release.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Shakey67

Shakey67

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 04:47 PM

"Genre: Comedy"? Is this a commentary on the picture or Christianity itself?

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,811 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 27 2009 - 05:08 PM

My guess would be a simple "cut & paste" mistake from an earlier review. (Be careful. Rule #4 of the HTF Rules is strictly enforced.)

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 03:36 AM

Hi guys, yeah...I messed up on my template...I was PM'd the first day about that but I have been unable to edit it until now. The computers I was working on kept giving me an "illegal operation" message every time I'd edit - they would then freeze, and shut down. The computer I'm on now doesn't do that, which is also why the special features update has taken this long. I haven't been able to edit this post until now. My apologies for the technological holdbacks.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 05:49 AM

I'm really looking forward to watching this on Blu was well, but, it's not one I'd ever need to own again. I do own the DVD (blind buy) and loved the film but it's not a film that has a high re-watch factor.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 09:51 AM

Does this BD have both cuts of the film? There was a version that edited the gore down to some degree. Not that I would really want to watch the edited version, but I thought that the Definiative DVD had both cuts?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 12:56 PM

are the trailers in hd?

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,811 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 28 2009 - 01:47 PM

Yes it does, Will. I believe the edited version is about 4 1/2 minutes shorter...although it doesn't give that detail on the case.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 06:16 PM

Don't suppose the original burned-in subtitles are on this?
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 06:24 PM

nope. there is the option to remove subtitles completely. that was the original intent of the film...until they realized that there were some things, like the politics of Pilate, that could never be understood with just body language. Trailers and TV spots are on disc 2, which is a DVD, and is the same disc 2 that would have appeared in the difinitive edition DVD set.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,920 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 28 2009 - 08:01 PM

Posted Image

Anyway.....terriffic bluray.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,007 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted March 01 2009 - 02:41 AM

Not happy about that video score Posted Image It's a visually stunning movie, with incredible cinematography. I've owned the SD since release, but I've never watched it.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,564 posts

Posted March 01 2009 - 03:50 AM

Yes, sounds like it's another victim of the "let's make it look like HD video, preserving the film look be damned" attitude.