-

Photo
- - - - -

HTF on Facebook, or, I'm so behind the times

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 of 93 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,646 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 26 2009 - 12:53 PM

I see the new announcement that HTF has a Facebook page. The ad rhetorically asks, "Who doesn’t have their own facebook page these days?"

Ummm, me?

I feel so out of it. I still can't fathom the point of Facebook and MySpace. I looked at MySpace a once or twice times...I felt blessed to escape with my eyesight. It was a hideous experience, a Twilight Zone location filled with angsty 20-somethings fighting for who could have the ugliest page. I've not summoned the courage to test Facebook.

Should I just give up, stoically accept my future, and yell at the kids to get off my lawn? Or should I get a My/Face page and join HTF and all the angsty 20-somethings online?

#2 of 93 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,424 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 26 2009 - 12:58 PM

Facebook is much easier on the eyes as there aren't many apps to "customize" it to your liking. I do have a Facebook friend who was promoting something to do that (I think he's involved in some kind of online "business"), but I posted a facetious comment about that being the reason I left MySpace. He summarily removed my comment. Posted Image

Facebook is the hot thing now; who knows if it will be in a few years? It's not do or die. Although, my 80-year old father is on it (along with his 80-year old best friend), so you really have no excuse about "being too old." Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 93 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,635 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 26 2009 - 01:10 PM

Do not join facebook if you don't want to touch base with zillions of schmoes you knew in high school, or elementary school!!! Posted Image

Jay

*who has a facebook page full of hiking friends and old school acquaintances...
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#4 of 93 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 02:35 PM

Quote:
"Who doesn’t have their own facebook page these days?"
I don't either. I don't think I even visited the site until I clicked on the HTF link.

#5 of 93 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 26 2009 - 03:05 PM

I don't have a Facebook page (I do have a My Space page that I rarely look at so social networking sites really aren't my thing) but I have a feeling that I'm/we're in the minority.

#6 of 93 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,165 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 03:23 PM

I don't use Facebook or MySpace, but we had to take a workshop or two on both at the university so that we could field questions from students on them.

#7 of 93 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 03:46 PM

Neither do I. Some of my friends do, though, and they rave about getting in touch with old friends.

#8 of 93 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,125 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted February 26 2009 - 07:27 PM

I always thought both were just for hooking up so since I've got a current girlfriend I don't use either of them much anymore. Whenever a friends tells me they're single I always point them to online sites like those.

#9 of 93 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 08:09 PM

I agree with the OP - I don't understand the desire of social networking unless I'm in high school. However for the past month or so everything around me is getting associated with Facebook. HTF is the fourth thing that's not a specific person. An old friend I recently became reacquainted with has suggested more than once that I needed to get a Facebook page. It's gotten to the point where I'm pondering it. I just don't need another reminder I have no friends.

HA HA ha ha heh hrmm

#10 of 93 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 26 2009 - 11:17 PM

I signed up awhile back, to keep in touch with nieces and nephew, on a more regular basis. With 3 nieces and 1 nephew, I figured some time online with them, and their interests, was better than a lot of time on the telephone. I don't think they'd want to spend a lot of time on the phone either. Some of the quizzes and other stuff is fun to do with them. For me, it's just something to do, to spend long distance time, with friends and family...........
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#11 of 93 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
I feel so out of it. I still can't fathom the point of Facebook and MySpace.
I used to feel that way. Had a MySpace page left unused for years. Till I joined Facebook. I am now hopelssly addicted. Having been there, I understand your puzzlement enough to know that there is simply no way to explain it to you in a way that would even begin to make sense (I expressed similar feelings on this very forum a couple of years ago.) You have to experience it for yourself. Yeah, sounds dramatically cliche, but it's true. (and I still detest MySpace. The ugly pages you describe are only a part of it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I always thought both were just for hooking up so since I've got a current girlfriend I don't use either of them much anymore.
Ugh. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. But OK.

Having lived in a few places, my friends are all over the world. I used to be terrible at keeping in touch with people. No longer.

--
H

#12 of 93 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,646 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 27 2009 - 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
Facebook is the hot thing now; who knows if it will be in a few years? It's not do or die. Although, my 80-year old father is on it (along with his 80-year old best friend), so you really have no excuse about "being too old." Posted Image
I've become more intrigued after learning that some acquaintances who are decidedly non-technophiles now have FaceBook accounts. I'm seeing it branching far past the original college crowd and into the broader world.

As for connecting with long lost friends, my experience is a LLF finds me, sends an email, we chat back and force for a few days, and then lapse back into LLF-dom. I don't see how Facebook changes this dynamic, but maybe it will.

So I've got the weekend free. Maybe I'll make a FaceBook account.

(On a side note, to my amusement, LinkedIn is all the rage these days in my professional circles. I ought to update my LI profile this weekend too.)

#13 of 93 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,635 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 27 2009 - 01:46 AM

Well, as far as LLF goes, the email back and forth usually does subside after a while, but if you're an active FB user, your status updates, notes, links get shared on friend's homepage so it depends on how active you and that LLF are, one can really keep in touch with them via status updates and the mindless banter.. I mean chit chat. Posted Image

..then there is myFarm. Posted Image Which cracks me up to no end. Virtual farming.. go figure...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#14 of 93 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 06:42 AM

I like Facebook. When you sign in, your page basically has headlines from all your friends. So it is like a newsletter. Except the headlines might be really minor -- "Jenn ate ice cream today, mmm!" may be what Jenn wrote, for example -- so it is easy to glance at and have an immediate sense of how everyone you know is doing. It is useful in a world where we live apart.

Facebook is also excellent for organizing an event like a party, since it has an invite and RSVP system. Totally easy to inform everyone of a plan that way. Assuming everyone you know is on Facebook -- which they should be!

MySpace in contrast is terrible for anyone *except* bands, which can take great advantage of the built-in music player to provide visitors with samples of their work. It's one of the easiest ways to learn about a band.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 93 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 09:49 AM

I avoided FB for a while because I was so disgusted with the garbage dump that is MySpace, but I should be ashamed of myself for comparing the two sites.

Ever since I joined, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I like it. I've been hooking up with friends that I haven't seen or heard from in decades! It's great to hear from these people again and see what they're up to (and where they ended up).

And as far as the nay sayer here, what I'm finding is that Facebook is a lot like the After Hours lounge, with the one crucial difference being; I like everyone I communicate with on Facebook Posted Image

#16 of 93 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
As for connecting with long lost friends, my experience is a LLF finds me, sends an email, we chat back and force for a few days, and then lapse back into LLF-dom. I don't see how Facebook changes this dynamic, but maybe it will.
The thing with FB is, most people are so addicted that there's ALWAYS action going on. So much so that I find it hard to keep up. Of course there are some friends of mine that haven't really contacted me since I added them as a friend, but as Will mentions, you can always see their activity and you can always make comments back and forth to each other, so you really never feel like you're losing touch...unless they never sign in to check their pages.

#17 of 93 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
And as far as the nay sayer here, what I'm finding is that Facebook is a lot like the After Hours lounge, with the one crucial difference being; I like everyone I communicate with on Facebook Posted Image
Posted Image Perfectly put! Seriously, I was struggling to express the way you have your bubble of friends and family (or whoever is on your page -- basically people you know), yet you can interact in limited fashion with people beyond that (friends' friends.) But yeah, that ^^^ is pretty much it.

--
H

#18 of 93 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,281 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted February 27 2009 - 10:14 AM

I'm not much of an internet person (this is the only forum I frequent) so I've never really been interested in the whole myspace facebook thing, and I think it's really for young people isn't it? Anyway I spotted this news story a few minutes ago and thought I should post it here -

Facebook users with hundreds of online 'friends' only have a handful of TRUE pals, claims study | Mail Online

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#19 of 93 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,837 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 27 2009 - 11:09 AM

Can you turn off the frequent updates from talkative friends? I'm not on FB and don't plan to be, but my sister friended some people who update every time they make a ham sandwich. She may know if you can silence that to where you only read their updates if you want to, but I'm just curious.

#20 of 93 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,508 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou
I'm not much of an internet person (this is the only forum I frequent) so I've never really been interested in the whole myspace facebook thing, and I think it's really for young people isn't it? Anyway I spotted this news story a few minutes ago and thought I should post it here -

Facebook users with hundreds of online 'friends' only have a handful of TRUE pals, claims study | Mail Online

Thanks for posting that link. I read and forwarded the article to my wife who is an avid Facebook user.

I tend to be in the minority in our circle of friends and where I work since I don't use Facebook. I'm holding out and am probably just being stubborn in doing so, but it is not like I need something else to take up my time.

Facebook was originally just college students, but its popularity and use has been spreading. And not just in the number of users-- its demographics are changing as well. One of the latest groups to show significant growth is grandparents. My mother-in-law has recently gotten involved. It is a great way for her to share pictures of her grandchild with friends. In fact, sharing pictures of family and friends seems to be one if the biggest reasons its popularity has been growing. I know it has played a significant part of the popularity in my age group.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow