Season 1-Stalled Series. (1 Viewer)

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
CHEYENNE
Here Come The Brides
The Invisible Man
Which stalled Season 1 Series do you guys have?
They all deserve to have more seasons released.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
In addition to "Cheyenne" which you mention, "Kojak" and "Dragnet" (1960s version) from Universal. Would half a season count? A&E only released the first half of both "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)" and "The Champions," both of which were single season shows.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
From the Universal one and done category
-Dragnet
-McMillan And Wife
-Kojak
-Baretta (this wins the award for oldest stalled at one title)
-Baa Baa Black Sheep (two releases but one season of two only)
-Alias Smith And Jones

McCloud and Quincy had "Seasons 1 and 2" in the one release they got.

Sony
-SWAT
-The Rookies
-Fantasy Island (This is #1 of Sony stalled at one titles for me)
-Police Woman

T.J. Hooker was also a "1 and 2" in it set but Season 1 was only five episodes.

CBS/Paramount
-Love American Style
-Cannon

Warner
-Welcome Back Kotter
-Cheyenne

Fox
-Newhart
-St. Elsewhere

Shout
-The Bill Cosby Show

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
20th Century Fox
American Family
Anything Buy Love (1&2 in Vol 1 but nothing since)
Bernie Mac Show
Dharma & Greg (I got S2 from Australia)
Malcolm In the Middle
Newhart
Picket Fences
The Practice (Vol 1 released)
St Elsewhere

A&E Home Video
Airline
Weird Science (1&2 together)

Acorn Media
Butterflies

Artisan Entertainment
Boomtown

Genius Products
Secret World Of Alex Mack

Lionsgate Films
1-800 Missing - Only Season 2 has been released
According To Jim (Hopefully more this year)

MGM Home Video
Cagney & Lacey
Fame
Flipper
Jeremiah
Poltergeist: The Legacy

Nickelodeon
Clarissa Explains It All

Paramount Home Video
America's Next Top Model
Early Edition
Evening Shade
Resurrection Blvd
The Sentinel

Shout! Factory
The Bill Cosby Show

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Archie Bunker's Place
Benson
Fantasy Island
Hazel
Huff
Maude
Ned & Stacey
Police Woman
One Day At A Time
The Rookies
S.W.A.T.
She Spies
Silver Spoons
Strong Medicine
VIP
What's Happening Now!

Universal Home Video
Alias Smith and Jones
Amazing Stories
American Dreams
Baretta
Dragnet
McMillan & Wife

Urban Works
A Different World

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Five Mile Creek
Goof Troop
Gummi Bears
Sweet Valley High

Warner Bros. Home Video
Everwood (S2 coming this year)
George Lopez (1&2 in one release)
Growing Pains
Life Goes On
Living Single
Murphy Brown
Third Watch
War At Home

Wellspring Media
Dinner For Five (rather than buy complete series which I cannot afford to ship to UK)
I have to stop buying shows that stall lol

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Dream On.

Actually they released 1 and 2 together but that's it. I sent an email to HBO requesting info so hopefully I'll get a response.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Growing Pains (WB)
Silver Spoons (Sony)
The Fall Guy (Fox)
Beyond Reality (Mill Creek)
Pit Pony (Good Times)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
And one of my favorites of all time... HUCKLEBERRY HOUND! Stalled at Season One, since 2005!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The example that bugs me the most is "Hazel." It's hard to say why. The series itself wasn't exactly some integral nostalgic classic for me. But somehow I've really, really missed its presence in recent decades, and I was looking forward to accumulating the season-sets. Which, never came after that initial first-season release. Still very disappointed by that.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

That one definitely hurts a lot, Bert. For me the ones that sting the most are the aforementioned "Hazel", "Flipper" and "Quincy". The Flipper release had some of the most beautiful, crystal clear prints I've ever seen on a standard dvd set. And I've always enjoyed the early seasons of Quincy so I'm disappointed that one didn't get a follow-up.

Gary "more Dragnet, Kojak and Cheyenne would have been nice as well" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Dragnet" is the one that burns me up the most. S2 of "Dragnet" had the best episodes of the revival, with the remake of the classic "Big Little Jesus" Christmas episode and also a great episode where Sergeant Friday shoots dead a burglar at a local laundromat and has to go up before a Review Board to see whether his use of force was justified or not. I'm happy that "Adam-12" finally got out of one-and-done purgatory but it's just not right that "Dragnet" remains stuck.

I would also like to see Shout! pick up "McMillan And Wife" since the small number of episodes per season wouldn't make it costly to produce, and it would be nice to have one of the other classic NBC Mystery Movies completed alongside "Columbo." I would have never bet in a million years that we'd get both seasons of "Banacek" on DVD (through licensing) before we'd see another season of "McMillan And Wife" or "McCloud" for that matter.

And from the world of Sony, I want more "Fantasy Island" so I can recreate the Saturday night experience alongside new releases of "Love Boat"!

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
the rookies
fantasy island
mc cloud
kojac
police woman
alias smith and jones
hart to hart

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Hey,if a show can't sell well,why keep releasing it? I don't like it, but I understand it's a business - and to be frank,I'm getting a little tired of the daily moaning about so-and-so only had one release and then there was no more!

"But it can be licenced out"! is a cry we always here - well,here's a thought - if it DIDN'T SELL WELL FOR THE FOLKS WHO OWNS IT, WHY WOULD SOMEONE ELSE TAKE A RISK?!

It's no different than syndciation when you think of it - a station wouldn't pick up a show if it couldn't get viewers and be able to sell ad space.

So we just have to accept the fact some shows may never get past a single volume or two!

but on the flip side - outfits like SHOUT! are taking RISKS on titles that the studios don't want to handle!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What about Hill Street Blues from Fox. Maybe Shout! could try and finish this series. Not exactly stalled at one season. But it has stopped at two.

St. Elsewhere, that did stop at one. Please get these two "critical successes" back on the radar.

Doug

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
I'd like to see more releases of The Equalizer. Season 1 was a "blind buy" for me and I really enjoyed it. I suppose one season is better than none (I was too young to catch this when it originally aired) but I'd definitely pick up any more seasons Universal (or somebody else) would release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

But there are titles though where some of the poor sales can be explained by other factors. Universal titles in particular that ended up "one and done" are titles that were released on the godawful DVD-18 format and many of us had trouble with disc freeze-up and bad discs here and there. To this day, I have to have two sets of "Adam-12" S1 just to guarantee that I have a good copy of every episode, even though one set has one bad episode and another has another bad episode. That led to bad word of mouth and lower sales overall that I think had much to do with why so many of those Universal titles ended up "one and done". They didn't get their true fair shake on DVD in a quality format. "Dragnet" was also packaged in a stupid fashion in which we had 14 episodes on one disc, 3 episodes on a second disc and then a wasted third disc of just one vintage radio program common to all old time radio collectors, and a too high price overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks