Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: It Could Happen To You -and- Roxanne (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,356 posts

Posted February 25 2009 - 05:10 AM

Two Beloved Romantic Comedies for the First Time in High Definition… IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU AND ROXANNE On Blu-ray™ High-Def May 5th Culver City, Calif. (February 25, 2009) – Romance is in full-bloom this spring when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment delivers It Could Happen to You and Roxanne on high definition Blu-ray Disc™ on May 5, 2009 for the SLP of $28.95 each. These beloved romantic comedies tell the story of two unlikely matches who turn out to be perfectly paired. It Could Happen to You stars Nicolas Cage[1] (Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation.) as a warm-hearted policeman married to a cold-as-ice woman, Muriel (Rosie Perez, Pineapple Express, Do the Right Thing). As he struggles to make ends meet in the Manhattan sprawl, he abashedly finds himself unable to tip the waitress (Bridget Fonda, The Shag) who just served him. In an act of goodwill, he promises her half of the winnings of a recently purchased lottery ticket in lieu of the gratuity – and hits the jackpot! His decision to make good on his word to the waitress angers Muriel and greed rears its ugly head while loyalty flies out the window ultimately ending their marriage. But the policeman and the waitress rise above, learning true love is worth its weight in gold. Roxanne is a spirited retelling of the timeless story of Cyrano de Bergerac. Steve Martin (The Jerk, The Pink Panther I, II) stars as C.D. Bales, an intelligent, kind-hearted man, with a really big…nose. His unusually large appendage has limited his appeal with the ladies; however when Roxanne (Daryl Hannah) moves to town, she and C.D. hit it off immediately. But before C.D. can express his feelings, Roxanne’s attention is captured by a handsome, yet vapid firefighter, Chris McConnell (Rich Rossovich). Through a comedy of errors C.D. ends up as the conduit in a budding romance between Roxanne and Chris. C.D. begins to pen love letters to Roxanne, but sends them as though they were from Chris. But all hope is not lost as Roxanne is too clever and C.D. too charming for these two not to come together and eventually find the time-tested happy ending. It Could Happen to You An irrepressible romantic comedy about a humble cop who leaves a two million dollar tip to a hard-luck waitress. Stars Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda. Blu-ray Catalog #: 26290 Blu-ray UPC Code: 043396262904 Blu-ray Pre-Book: 3/12/09 Blu-ray SLP: $28.95 Roxanne A big-nosed fire chief (Steve Martin) writes love notes to a gorgeous astronomy student (Daryl Hannah) for a tongue-tied friend, then falls for her himself. Blu-ray Catalog #: 26292 Blu-ray UPC Code: 043396262928 Blu-ray Pre-Book: 3/12/09 Blu-ray SLP: $28.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,979 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 03:26 AM

Roxanne is one of my all time favourite movies. As a life-long Steve Martin fan - this film has it all and I never stop laughing at the '20 something betta's' scene. Classic.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 03:57 AM

I love this film as well, and with all the double-dipping that has been going on in the past years I'm shocked this has never received the SE upgrade it deserves... and that this trend continues on HD.

Nonetheles, the first time I saw it in widescreen was on the DVD release and if done right this should look great in HD.

Although I do have to admit that the widescreen presentation has ruined the "20 betters" scene you mentioned for me because you get to see more of the image... which in this case includes an extra in the bar room who's so unbelievable bad that I can't help keeping an eye on him all the time instead of enjoying the scene. Posted Image (Imagine having to sit on the set and listen to the same jokes again and again the whole time the scene is being shot. Unfortunately, this is exactly what the guy looks like. After every joke he just gives a half-assed chuckle that pretty much says "Yeah, like I haven't heard that one 20 times already).

And with that I bid you farewell, certain in the knowledge that I have ruined this scene for many other people as well. Posted Image

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,598 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 26 2009 - 04:08 AM

I love "Roxanne," too, but $28.95 with no extras? The old disc had a trailer.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 07:01 AM

Could be worse. This could be an MGM title, then it'd be $40 with no extras and it'd look like crap. Posted Image Agree with you on the trailer, though. This should be on there, particularly since the disc is probably going to have 15 trailers for other features.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,979 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 03:14 PM

I cannot wait to watch it again to check out the apathetic dude Posted Image
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 05:24 AM

I'm a sucker for "It Could Happen To You" since I had a huge crush on Bridget Fonda when it came out. I think it's a cute and uplifting movie. I'd buy either of these two on Blu for less than $15, but not full price.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users