Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vicky Cristina Barcelona Audio Problem - Help Please!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted February 23 2009 - 05:40 PM

I just got VCB in Bluray and, for some reason, the center channel is not throwing any dialogue. The dialogue is mostly coming out of the rear speakers. The center channel has some ambience effects, and a little bit of the dialogue comes out of the right and left speakers., but most of it comes out of the rear. Now I'm aware that this is not supposed to be a very aggressive mix, and that it's a barely a three-channel track to begin with. But, not center speaker? I'm beffudled because my system works fine with all my other DVD's and BR's. Not just that, but the sound over the menu, with a song that has vocals, comes out of the center speaker just fine. Could it be that this particular disc is faulty? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Gerardo

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   sptrout

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted February 24 2009 - 03:08 AM

I have not watched this movie, but from what I have read, it was recorded in 2.0 or maybe mono, I do not remember which. Apparently, Woody is not big on audio.
Samsung HL-S6188 TV
Onkyo 805 AVR
Sony BDPS1000ES Blu-ray & Oppo 971 DVD Players
DTV HR22 DVR
Infinity Beta 50's Front Speakers, C360 Center Speaker, and Beta 20's Surrounds, Hsu VTF MK 2 Subwoofer w/Turbo, & APC J15 UPS & Power Conditioner

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted February 24 2009 - 09:00 AM

The problem is not the mono, which is to be expected in a Woody movie, but the fact that the dialogue mostly comes out of the rear channels and not at all out of the center channel. Has anyone heard of such a thing? (Again, my system is correctly connected and works fine with all my other DVD's, BR's and TV broadcasts).
Gerardo

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 07:07 AM

I didn't have this issue with my Blu-ray of VCB, which had the dialogue coming properly from the front (not sure if it was center, but it definitely wasn't coming out of the rears).

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,140 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 26 2009 - 09:37 AM

DVDBeaver indicates that VCB is LPCM 3.0 in their review of the film's BD. It's possible that Woody Allen wanted a mix with the dialogue coming from across the entire front soundstage, rather than being localised in the centre channel. Stranger things have happened. If dialogue is coming out of your rear speakers, that suggests a hookup problem--possibly a faulty HDMI cable? How are you hooked up?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert