Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo TX-SR706 won't detect my subwoofer

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   BAMFstang

BAMFstang

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 02:56 PM

OK strange problem I hope someone can offer some advice. I recently upgraded my receiver to the model mentioned in the title. Everything works great except it doesn't feed any audio to my sub. I've tried using the audyssey setup and after completing it says no sub. I've tried manually setting up my speakers and telling it I have a sub and still no sound from it whatsoever. It is a powered sub hooked up to the correct input on the receiver. The sub worked fine on my previous Onkyo receiver but now I can get nothing from it. Sub seems to be fine, it gets power just no sound at all. I am driving myself crazy trying to troubleshoot it and nothing seems to work. I am considering buying another sub and seeing if it works to determine whether the receiver may have a problem. Anyone have any ideas that may help me to resolve this problem???

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 24 2009 - 12:40 AM

Just to double check that you haven't made a very common mistake.......... You're plugged into the "sub" of the "Pre-Out" section, and not the "sub" of the DVD (Multi-Channel) section?
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   BAMFstang

BAMFstang

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 24 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yeah I double and triple checked that to be sure. I paid special attention to the manual when hooking it up because it shows clearly which one to plug it into. I won't have time till tomorrow to really dive in and try to figure it out but anything else offered to help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Brent_S

Brent_S

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted February 25 2009 - 10:04 AM

What sub? Does it have an auto-on feature? If so, set it to always on and retry. The auto sensor needs to see a certain voltage before it wakes up and the calibration tone may not be sending enough? Where do you have the gain set on the sub...turning this up sometimes makes auto sensors more sensitive? Have you checked the cable? In the process of swapping receivers, you may have damaged the sub cable. If it's like my RS cables, the RCA's cover will actually unthread from the plug end which would break the connection. -Brent

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   BAMFstang

BAMFstang

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 25 2009 - 10:36 AM

Problem solved! Apparently my sub just died on me. It was getting power and the fuse was good but something else failed internally. I went and bought a new sub since I had eliminated everything else I could think of. Plugged the new one in and it worked perfectly. The one I had was 10 years old so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users