Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

7.1 Receivers that play 5.1 surround data on the corresponding surround back speaker?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   William Ward

William Ward

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 11:56 AM

Kind of an interesting question, but I am wondering how common it is for a 7.1 receiver to play the same information on both sets of surround speakers during 5.1 playback. It would seem a simple operation, so the SBR speaker plays the same sounds as the Surround Right speaker. Essentially you get 2 speakers for each of the surround channels of a 5.1 source. I currently have it setup using the preouts of my current receiver to another amp and have matched the levels using an SPL meter..... I have one input on the extra amp for 5.1 stuff, and another using the surround back preout for any EX encoded films. I am looking to upgrade my receiver for the Blu Ray audio formats via HDMI and would like to get one unit that will do all of the processing. Surprisingly I havent seen this advertised on spec sheets.....
William

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   hodedofome

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 01:52 PM

I think what you want is for a receiver to 'overlay' like Dolby Pro-Logic IIx processing over a TrueHD or DTS-MA 5.1 track. I know there are some receivers that will matrix a 5.1 sound into 7.1, although I don't know which models do and don't.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   William Ward

William Ward

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 03:10 PM

Yes just dont want to get one that I like only to find out it wont let me utilize my SBR speakers on 5.1 material. I worked with the Yamaha line and they dont have that option. They have PII and other surround sets(theater, concert, etc) but I want the option to have it play the sound straight with no processing....
William

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users