Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Centennial Collection : El Dorado & The Man who shot Liberty Valance


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

    Lead Actor



  • 7,632 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2002

Posted February 23 2009 - 07:13 AM

DVD Times - El Dorado & The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Centennial Collection) in May

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of a further two titles as part of their Centennial Collection.
Arriving on 19th May 2009 are two westerns starring John Wayne - El Dorado and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Aside from the theatrical trailers, extras on these Centennial Collection releases are all-new to these editions. Features are outlined below...

El Dorado
  • Mono audio
  • Commentary by Filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
  • Ride, Boldly Ride: The Journey to El Dorado
  • Commentary with critic and film historian Richard Schickel featuring actor Ed Asner and author Todd McCarthy
  • The Artist and the American West (1967) - Vintage Featurette
  • Behind the Gates: AC Remembers John Wayne
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Galleries
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • Mono & 5.1 audio
  • The Size of Legends, The Soul of Myth
  • Commentary by Filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich along with his archival recordings with John Ford, John Wayne and James Stewart
  • Selected Scene Commentary with intro by Dan Ford along with his archival recordings with John Ford, James Stewart and Lee Marvin
  • Galleries
  • Original Theatrical Trailer

This is awesome news.

Another JF picture getting the deluxe treatment

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

    Producer



  • 5,262 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 19 2000

Posted February 23 2009 - 08:17 AM

Interesting news. I'll definitely check out El Dorado - I reviewed the original disc, so I always review re-issues. Never saw Valance - this seems like a good reason to do so! Posted Image
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

    Producer



  • 4,464 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2003
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 23 2009 - 09:08 AM

I've promised myself no double-dips until Paramount ante-up with the BDs on their Centennial Collection releases, but these will be almost impossible to resist.

Hawks and Ford; there's a couple of aces for ya...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...


#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

    Screenwriter



  • 1,019 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 11 2003

Posted February 23 2009 - 09:51 AM

Common Paramount, How about releasing these on Blu ray also?

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

    Supporting Actor



  • 779 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 20 2006
  • Real Name:Scott

Posted February 23 2009 - 10:35 AM

Woah, actual bonus features for these two? Automatic double-dip for me.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

    Lead Actor



  • 7,632 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2002

Posted February 23 2009 - 10:54 AM

Valance is actually pretty good especially when you consider that B&W pictures were not really made at that time.

Wayne & Ford at their peak
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor



  • 767 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted February 23 2009 - 10:55 AM

If I remember correctly, Bogdanovich created a documentary film about John Ford that was broadcast on Turner Classic Movies a year or so ago (maybe a little longer).

Seems like this new release of 'Liberty Valance' would be a good opportunity to include the documentary as a supplementary feature.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

    Lead Actor



  • 7,632 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2002

Posted February 23 2009 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris
If I remember correctly, Bogdanovich created a documentary film about John Ford that was broadcast on Turner Classic Movies a year or so ago (maybe a little longer).

Seems like this new release of 'Liberty Valance' would be a good opportunity to include the documentary as a supplementary feature.

There is a documentary called The Size of Legends, The Soul of Myth.

Is this what you are referring to ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor



  • 767 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted February 23 2009 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
There is a documentary called The Size of Legends, The Soul of Myth.

Is this what you are referring to ?



No, the documentary is called 'Directed by John Ford', apparently a 2006 update of a doc Bogdanovich originally created in 1971.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   genomovie

genomovie

    Extra



  • 24 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 13 2007

Posted February 23 2009 - 11:41 AM

No Blu Ray, no buy.Posted Image

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,036 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 23 2009 - 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I've promised myself no double-dips until Paramount ante-up with the BDs on their Centennial Collection releases, but these will be almost impossible to resist.

Hawks and Ford; there's a couple of aces for ya...
I'm going to hold out because there is little doubt these two titles will make it to Blu-ray in the future.





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#12 of 20 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

    Producer



  • 4,464 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2003
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 23 2009 - 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris
No, the documentary is called 'Directed by John Ford', apparently a 2006 update of a doc Bogdanovich originally created in 1971.

Dave, someone over at the Criterion forum posted a quote from Bogdanovich recently about the doco: "... I re-did the film in 2006 and that it was shown on TCM that year... And will be available on DVD in May through Warner Home video... I feel that the new version is infinitely better than the original and I hope you get a chance to see it!"
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...


#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,036 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 24 2009 - 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Dave, someone over at the Criterion forum posted a quote from Bogdanovich recently about the doco: "... I re-did the film in 2006 and that it was shown on TCM that year... And will be available on DVD in May through Warner Home video... I feel that the new version is infinitely better than the original and I hope you get a chance to see it!"
I read a direct quote from Bogdanovich that a dvd is coming this year. Perhaps we can nut that down when we talk with Warner is the not so distant future.





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

    Supporting Actor



  • 533 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2001

Posted February 24 2009 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Valance is actually pretty good especially when you consider that B&W pictures were not really made at that time.

What?! Valance was released in 1962. There were still plenty of films being made in B&W at that time and for another few years afterwards. In 1962 alone, other classic B&W films included 'The Manchurian Candidate', 'Lolita', 'Days Of Wine And Roses', 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'The Miracle Worker'.
Bruce Morrison

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,036 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 24 2009 - 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
What?! Valance was released in 1962. There were still plenty of films being made in B&W at that time and for another few years afterwards. In 1962 alone, other classic B&W films included 'The Manchurian Candidate', 'Lolita', 'Days Of Wine And Roses', 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'The Miracle Worker'.
Nah, are any of those B&W films really good and do they stand the test of time like LOA.Posted Image





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor



  • 767 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted February 25 2009 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Dave, someone over at the Criterion forum posted a quote from Bogdanovich recently about the doco: "... I re-did the film in 2006 and that it was shown on TCM that year... And will be available on DVD in May through Warner Home video... I feel that the new version is infinitely better than the original and I hope you get a chance to see it!"


John,

Thanks for the update. Ultimately, I'll be happy to have this doc on DVD, whether it appears as a supplement on a Paramount release or a Warner Brothers release, as you mentioned.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Jrf2

Jrf2

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 96 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 17 2007

Posted May 19 2009 - 03:55 AM

I'm just wondering if anybody's picked up The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance yet. Other than extras, is there a significant upgrade PQ-wise over the 2001 disc?

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

    Second Unit



  • 407 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2009

Posted May 19 2009 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf2
I'm just wondering if anybody's picked up The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance yet. Other than extras, is there a significant upgrade PQ-wise over the 2001 disc?

Gary's comparison at the Beaver site is here. And the DVD Times review is here.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog


#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Jrf2

Jrf2

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 96 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 17 2007

Posted May 19 2009 - 08:59 AM

Excellent! Thanks.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

    Lead Actor



  • 7,632 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2002

Posted May 19 2009 - 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius
Gary's comparison at the Beaver site is here. And the DVD Times review is here.

Sold
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything


Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow