Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble Playing DVDs on PC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted February 22 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have a DVD-RW drive on my PC. It reads DVDs just fine. The problem is that my free version of Nero (came bundled with the PC) tells me I have to purchase a Dolby driver in order to hear it. MS Media Player can't the play the thing at all.

Are there any reliable (i.e., spy- and malware free) free DVD playing programs available?
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted February 22 2009 - 02:43 PM

A Dolby driver? It wasn't asking for an MPEG2 driver? If that's the case, you could try AC3Filter . It works great, and scales beautifully regardless of your actual speaker configuration. Its only big limitation is that it can't do 6.1 or 7.1 channels, but I can live with that.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 12:52 AM

Downloaded and installed VLC Media Player. Problem solved.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman