Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Diana Krall CD 3-31-2009 (and other new Krall releases)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,585 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted August 08 2010 - 03:09 PM

While I don't share your views on The Girl in the Other Room (I'm quite found of my SACD of it and I enjoy her wandering off her usual track), I do enjoy her other work immensely.  Gotta run, though, so more on her music from me later.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 10 2010 - 08:04 AM

I don't think Krall has had a really good studio album since The Look Of Love (2001) so that's coming up on ten years of rather disappointing results.    I'm not one mired to Krall doing the tried and true Cole Porter stuff and the like.  If someone thinks she can't handle Brazilian music - take a listen to "Besame Mucho" off of the Look of Love album and then tell me what the heck happened to her with this train wreck of bossa nova that is her latest effort.  I also think she can handle more contemporary songs so, again, it's not simply a niche thing.  For example, I love listening to "A Case of You" on her Live in Paris effort (the Joni Mitchell song).  That's a very tough song to pull off and she does it amazingly well while giving it her own spin.     Meanwhile, I'm enjoying some Melody Gardot as I'm writing this. 

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,530 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 22 2012 - 05:53 PM

Time for an update!  Woohoo!

Another new release by Ms, Krall.  Release date is October 2, 2012.

Let's start with the cover art:

[img=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/167400/width/500/height/1000[/img]]

Now that I've got your attention...  Posted Image

Here's the description on Amazon (I'm not sure what to expect): 

Quote:

Diana Krall's extraordinary new album, 'Glad Rag Doll' is an exhilarating and adventurous exploration of new sounds, new instrumentation and new musicians. It stars a singer and piano player, filled with mischief, humour and a renewed sense of tenderness and intimacy.

The record reveals itself at that remarkable vanishing point in time where all music; swinging, rocking and taboo, collide with songs of longing, solace and regret. All are made new again in a vaudeville of Krall's own imagining.

It is at once a major departure and a natural progression for the gifted musician. Diana simply calls the album, "a song and dance record."

BEWARE!  There are two different CDs of this title.  There is a 13-track CD for $9.99 at amazon.  But tthere is also a DELUXE CD @ Amazon for $13.99.  It has 17 tracks!  Since I know that's the one anyone here will want...click HERE.

Quote:

1. We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye

3:07

2. There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth The Salt Of My Tears

4:29

3. Just Like A Butterfly That's Caught In The Rain

3:43

4. You Know - I Know Ev'rything's Made For Love

3:47

5. Glad Rag Doll

4:34

6. I'm A Little Mixed Up

4:36

7. Prairie Lullaby

4:22

8. Here Lies Love

5:09

9. I Used To Love You But It's All Over Now

2:50

10. Let It Rain

5:44

11. Lonely Avenue

6:57

12. Wide River To Cross

3:51

13. When The Curtain Comes Down

4:51

14. As Long As I Love

2:29

15. Glad Rag Doll (Alternate Version)

2:54

16. Garden In The Rain

2:55

17. There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth The Salt Of My Tears (Alternate Version)              2:06

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,705 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 23 2012 - 01:43 PM

My boss is going to have an aneurysm from that cover.   Based on the image, everyone should be getting the 12" vinyl.

#45 of 47 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,530 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 23 2012 - 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron Yee /t/282906/new-diana-krall-cd-3-31-2009-and-other-new-krall-releases/30#post_3979065

My boss is going to have an aneurysm from that cover.

Based on the image, everyone should be getting the 12" vinyl.

That's EXACTLY what I wrote to a co-worker when I informed him about the release!  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,530 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 24 2012 - 07:12 AM

You can check out THIS PAGE for a promotional video for Glad Rag Doll.  T Bone Burnett is involved.

There are also more promotional images! 

And there is a sample to hear of There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth The Salt Of My TearsI guess it is currently available for download.

And, I found Diana's cover of Levon Helm's Wide River to Cross on YouTube.

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 01 2012 - 11:48 AM

I listed to the Glad Rag Doll album and will now be purchasing it.

I really got into it. Best way I can describe it ... put it on and you're with Diana Krall in a small, intimate cabaret or piano bar. No big numbers, just interesting songs. Took a bit to get used to her voice as it seems the years have not been kind to her vocal nodes. So, it's a weathered smoky voice .... but along with age comes character and this album has plenty of that. So many songs I like ... "Prairie Lullaby" 'Wide River To Cross" "Lonely Avenue" .... this is a different road for Krall ... but a nice one to explore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users