What's new

New Diana Krall CD 3-31-2009 (and other new Krall releases) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't get excited too much lately by new music. But I make an exception for anything by Diana Krall. She's the best thing to come down the jazz pike (or ANY pike) in a looooong time.

The album is available for pre-order for only $9.99 at amazon. But I plan on hanging tight as I have been burned many times in the past with retailer exclusives at places like Best Buy and Target having bonus tracks of one sort or another. I guess I don't need to worry about either a DVD-A or Dual Disc of this one. :frowning:
The track list is:
1. Where or When
2. Too Marvelous For Words
3. I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face
4. The Boy From Ipanema
5. Walk On By
6. You're My Thrill
7. Este Seu Olhar
8. So Nice
9. Quiet Nights
10. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
11. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
12. Every Time We Say Goodbye
From musicremedy.com:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at upcoming promo material for Starbucks and saw that we will be carrying this...and you were the first person I thought of emailing. But I guess you have already heard the news! ;)

Lex

Auditioning
Real Name
Alexis
Oh that's awesome!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
Been looking forward to this album as well. I heard this one is all basa nova.
Saw her live a couple of times. She's great
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

janey815

Auditioning
Real Name
Jane
I am so excited about this Diana Krall release. I was just thinking of her and wishing she had some new material. Here it is. I preordered the album and got a free single.
Here is the link guys!
iTunes Store

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
She used to be good for the occasional DVD-A, too.
Heck, I'd even take a Dual Disc from her. :D
Lee: Her talent is high-rez enough for me! :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh my.
I could have told you I would give this a 5-star review anyway...but I've been listening to this all morning and it is all anyone could want. I'll report back later when I've got more time.
One thing: I'm always concerned about the eventuality of retailer exclusives. I got especially concerned when I saw "Two Bonus Tracks" printed on the back cover of the CD I purchased at Best Buy (for just $9.99 this week). But copies I also saw at FYE and Target had the same two "bonus" tracks. :rolleyes
The bonus tracks, BTW, are listed in the OP as tracks 11 & 12.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those interested, Krall will be the musical guest on Late Night with David Letterman tonight (Friday 4-3-09). Just saw the promo during the Ferguson show.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Mike Frezon said:
Oh my.
I could have told you I would give this a 5-star review anyway...but I've been listening to this all morning and it is all anyone could want. I'll report back later when I've got more time.
I have all of Diana Krall's CD's / DVD's etc. I think this is her or her engineer's worst effort in a long time.
I normally really like listening to her, but after listening to this CD multiple times I think it will go to the bottom of the Krall CD listing.
It just seemes lackluster and I can't point out why. Her vocals seem to lack the normal "sensuality" and she seems to be going through the motions.
My $0.02.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike O'Connell said:
I have all of Diana Krall's CD's / DVD's etc. I think this is her or her engineer's worst effort in a long time.
I normally really like listening to her, but after listening to this CD multiple times I think it will go to the bottom of the Krall CD listing.
It just seemes lackluster and I can't point out why. Her vocals seem to lack the normal "sensuality" and she seems to be going through the motions.
My $0.02.
I wonder, Mike, if maybe you are reacting to the laid-back nature of the bossa nova influence in the music. I was expecting a more upbeat collection, personally, but find that whenever Claus Ogerman is involved with Diane's work things start to drag--not necessarily in a completely negative way, mind you. I just happen to prefer Krall in a more intimate trio-like setting giving her the ability to let loose and interact in an improvised fashion with the very talented supporting cast she always surrounds herself with.
I cannot help but compare this with the Nat Cole/Capitol Records experience where they hooked Nat up with Ralph Carmichael, Nelson Riddle, etc. and took Nat away from the sound that initially garnered him success. I always find this parallel rather ironic since my favorite Krall collection is All For You (her tribute to Cole's work).
I find that I have put most of her lush recordings at the bottom of my "Krall rotation"...but that I still return to them more than many other recordings sitting on my shelf.

On the Quiet Nights collection I really like her renditions of the standards: Where or When, Too Marvelous for Words, Boy from Impanema. And I liked the way she approached the more recent stuff Walk on By, How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Every Time We Say Goodbye.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Helps to be in the mood for bossa nova. When I am in the mood, this release is a very nice example of it. When I'm not in the mood, it gets relegated to "dinner music" in the background. I am looking forward to the Rio BD.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Mike Frezon said:
I wonder, Mike, if maybe you are reacting to the laid-back nature of the bossa nova influence in the music. I was expecting a more upbeat collection, personally, but find that whenever Claus Ogerman is involved with Diane's work things start to drag--not necessarily in a completely negative way, mind you. I just happen to prefer Krall in a more intimate trio-like setting giving her the ability to let loose and interact in an improvised fashion with the very talented supporting cast she always surrounds herself with.
I cannot help but compare this with the Nat Cole/Capitol Records experience where they hooked Nat up with Ralph Carmichael, Nelson Riddle, etc. and took Nat away from the sound that initially garnered him success. I always find this parallel rather ironic since my favorite Krall collection is All For You (her tribute to Cole's work).
I find that I have put most of her lush recordings at the bottom of my "Krall rotation"...but that I still return to them more than many other recordings sitting on my shelf.

On the Quiet Nights collection I really like her renditions of the standards: Where or When, Too Marvelous for Words, Boy from Impanema. And I liked the way she approached the more recent stuff Walk on By, How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Every Time We Say Goodbye.
I don't mind the music and the softer beats, but her vocals seem to be lifeless and she could cut out a little of the "breathiness". I know she can put emotion in her singing, even at slower speeds, without resorting to heavy breathing!
I agree though, the bottom of my Diana Krall stack still gets played more often than most of my CD's.
My favorite CD of hers is still Love Scenes (although I do like the greatest hits CD).
Mike

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really like the Greatest Hits CD too! (although I'm not sure why). I usually create my own "greatest hits" compilations on my own. But it's one that I go back to over and over.
We'll have to see how the album translates on that live recording (BD) from Rio. Something tell me I'll love it. I'm a sucker for most anything she does.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The sound quality on this CD is superb. Sadly the music is not. As much as I like Diana Krall and South American music, this one just doesn't do it for me. I'm glad to see Doug Sax, the mastering engineer, still has the stuff though.
Sorry but this just doesn't swing like good bossa nova music.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lee Scoggins said:
Sorry but this just doesn't swing like good bossa nova music.
And it should. If you watch the EPK posted by Cameron up in Post #12 (I think it was) Krall's bassist John Clayton talks about Krall's sense of rhythm fitting perfectly into the bossa nova structure.
And that's my complaint about Ogerman's influence. His orchestrations--to me--dilute her ability to swing out (not that you want to on every piece). But I guess I think those overly lush arrangements overwhelm her already terrific sense of style.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Mike O'Connell said:
I don't mind the music and the softer beats, but her vocals seem to be lifeless and she could cut out a little of the "breathiness". I know she can put emotion in her singing, even at slower speeds, without resorting to heavy breathing!
I get the impression she's singing in too low a key in many of the songs, i.e. she's really struggling with the low notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks