Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Diana Krall CD 3-31-2009 (and other new Krall releases)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 21 2009 - 02:14 PM

I don't get excited too much lately by new music. But I make an exception for anything by Diana Krall. She's the best thing to come down the jazz pike (or ANY pike) in a looooong time.

Posted Image

The album is available for pre-order for only $9.99 at amazon. But I plan on hanging tight as I have been burned many times in the past with retailer exclusives at places like Best Buy and Target having bonus tracks of one sort or another. I guess I don't need to worry about either a DVD-A or Dual Disc of this one. Posted Image

The track list is:

1. Where or When
2. Too Marvelous For Words
3. I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face
4. The Boy From Ipanema
5. Walk On By
6. You're My Thrill
7. Este Seu Olhar
8. So Nice
9. Quiet Nights
10. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
11. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
12. Every Time We Say Goodbye

From musicremedy.com:

Quote:
Verve Records will release Diana Krall's new album 'Quiet Nights,' on March 31st. The romantic album combines Brazilian and west coast jazz styles and features three recordings of songs by bossa nova legend Antonio Carlos Jobim.

'Quiet Nights' reunites Krall with arranger Claus Ogerman for the first time since the multi-platinum 2001 album 'The Look of Love.' The GRAMMY Award winning pianist and vocalist adds Paulinho Da Costa on percussion to her already outstanding quartet of Anthony Wilson (guitar), John Clayton (bass) and Jeff Hamilton (drums).

Krall co-produced the album with Tommy LiPuma, the tenth time they have worked together, and returned to Capital Studios in Hollywood with Al Schmitt engineering and mixing.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 47 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,458 posts

Posted February 21 2009 - 11:50 PM

I was looking at upcoming promo material for Starbucks and saw that we will be carrying this...and you were the first person I thought of emailing. But I guess you have already heard the news! Posted Image

#3 of 47 Lex

Lex

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 22 2009 - 03:09 PM

Oh that's awesome!!!!!!Posted Image Been looking forward to this album as well. I heard this one is all basa nova.

Saw her live a couple of times. She's great Posted Image

#4 of 47 janey815

janey815

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 10:18 AM

I am so excited about this Diana Krall release. I was just thinking of her and wishing she had some new material. Here it is. I preordered the album and got a free single.

Here is the link guys!
iTunes Store

#5 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 17 2009 - 05:57 AM

Oh no! Posted Image Do I need to add iTunes to my list of places to watch for retailer exclusives?!? Posted Image

I can't keep up...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#6 of 47 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 09:20 AM

No hirez, no sale. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#7 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 17 2009 - 09:28 AM

She used to be good for the occasional DVD-A, too.

Heck, I'd even take a Dual Disc from her. Posted Image

Lee: Her talent is high-rez enough for me! Posted Image

#8 of 47 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 11:29 AM

What about an LP? I'd put a giant needle in her groove. Posted Image
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#9 of 47 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,114 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 17 2009 - 11:30 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImageThat cover photo is delicious-looking eye candy!

#10 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 02 2009 - 05:25 AM

Oh my.

I could have told you I would give this a 5-star review anyway...but I've been listening to this all morning and it is all anyone could want. I'll report back later when I've got more time.

One thing: I'm always concerned about the eventuality of retailer exclusives. I got especially concerned when I saw "Two Bonus Tracks" printed on the back cover of the CD I purchased at Best Buy (for just $9.99 this week). But copies I also saw at FYE and Target had the same two "bonus" tracks. Posted Image

The bonus tracks, BTW, are listed in the OP as tracks 11 & 12.

#11 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 02 2009 - 04:42 PM

For those interested, Krall will be the musical guest on Late Night with David Letterman tonight (Friday 4-3-09). Just saw the promo during the Ferguson show.

#12 of 47 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted April 02 2009 - 05:30 PM

For you high res wanters, there's an insert in the CD package that advertises a "Live In Rio" BD to be released in May. If it's as nice as the Paris concert, it should be SWEEEEET!

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co....8736688&sr=8-4

And here's a video from the distributor: http://www.eagle-roc....rallRioEPK.mov
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#13 of 47 Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationOverland Park KS

Posted May 01 2009 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Oh my.

I could have told you I would give this a 5-star review anyway...but I've been listening to this all morning and it is all anyone could want. I'll report back later when I've got more time.

I have all of Diana Krall's CD's / DVD's etc. I think this is her or her engineer's worst effort in a long time.

I normally really like listening to her, but after listening to this CD multiple times I think it will go to the bottom of the Krall CD listing.

It just seemes lackluster and I can't point out why. Her vocals seem to lack the normal "sensuality" and she seems to be going through the motions.

My $0.02.

#14 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 01 2009 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Connell
I have all of Diana Krall's CD's / DVD's etc. I think this is her or her engineer's worst effort in a long time.

I normally really like listening to her, but after listening to this CD multiple times I think it will go to the bottom of the Krall CD listing.

It just seemes lackluster and I can't point out why. Her vocals seem to lack the normal "sensuality" and she seems to be going through the motions.

My $0.02.

I wonder, Mike, if maybe you are reacting to the laid-back nature of the bossa nova influence in the music. I was expecting a more upbeat collection, personally, but find that whenever Claus Ogerman is involved with Diane's work things start to drag--not necessarily in a completely negative way, mind you. I just happen to prefer Krall in a more intimate trio-like setting giving her the ability to let loose and interact in an improvised fashion with the very talented supporting cast she always surrounds herself with.

I cannot help but compare this with the Nat Cole/Capitol Records experience where they hooked Nat up with Ralph Carmichael, Nelson Riddle, etc. and took Nat away from the sound that initially garnered him success. I always find this parallel rather ironic since my favorite Krall collection is All For You (her tribute to Cole's work).

I find that I have put most of her lush recordings at the bottom of my "Krall rotation"...but that I still return to them more than many other recordings sitting on my shelf. Posted Image

On the Quiet Nights collection I really like her renditions of the standards: Where or When, Too Marvelous for Words, Boy from Impanema. And I liked the way she approached the more recent stuff Walk on By, How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Every Time We Say Goodbye.

#15 of 47 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 01 2009 - 04:09 AM

Helps to be in the mood for bossa nova. When I am in the mood, this release is a very nice example of it. When I'm not in the mood, it gets relegated to "dinner music" in the background. I am looking forward to the Rio BD.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#16 of 47 Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationOverland Park KS

Posted May 01 2009 - 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
I wonder, Mike, if maybe you are reacting to the laid-back nature of the bossa nova influence in the music. I was expecting a more upbeat collection, personally, but find that whenever Claus Ogerman is involved with Diane's work things start to drag--not necessarily in a completely negative way, mind you. I just happen to prefer Krall in a more intimate trio-like setting giving her the ability to let loose and interact in an improvised fashion with the very talented supporting cast she always surrounds herself with.

I cannot help but compare this with the Nat Cole/Capitol Records experience where they hooked Nat up with Ralph Carmichael, Nelson Riddle, etc. and took Nat away from the sound that initially garnered him success. I always find this parallel rather ironic since my favorite Krall collection is All For You (her tribute to Cole's work).

I find that I have put most of her lush recordings at the bottom of my "Krall rotation"...but that I still return to them more than many other recordings sitting on my shelf. Posted Image

On the Quiet Nights collection I really like her renditions of the standards: Where or When, Too Marvelous for Words, Boy from Impanema. And I liked the way she approached the more recent stuff Walk on By, How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Every Time We Say Goodbye.

I don't mind the music and the softer beats, but her vocals seem to be lifeless and she could cut out a little of the "breathiness". I know she can put emotion in her singing, even at slower speeds, without resorting to heavy breathing!

I agree though, the bottom of my Diana Krall stack still gets played more often than most of my CD's.

My favorite CD of hers is still Love Scenes (although I do like the greatest hits CD).

Mike

#17 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 01 2009 - 05:06 AM

I really like the Greatest Hits CD too! (although I'm not sure why). I usually create my own "greatest hits" compilations on my own. But it's one that I go back to over and over.

We'll have to see how the album translates on that live recording (BD) from Rio. Something tell me I'll love it. I'm a sucker for most anything she does.

#18 of 47 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 06:43 AM

The sound quality on this CD is superb. Sadly the music is not. As much as I like Diana Krall and South American music, this one just doesn't do it for me. I'm glad to see Doug Sax, the mastering engineer, still has the stuff though.

Sorry but this just doesn't swing like good bossa nova music.

#19 of 47 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,835 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 01 2009 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Scoggins
Sorry but this just doesn't swing like good bossa nova music.

And it should. If you watch the EPK posted by Cameron up in Post #12 (I think it was) Krall's bassist John Clayton talks about Krall's sense of rhythm fitting perfectly into the bossa nova structure.

And that's my complaint about Ogerman's influence. His orchestrations--to me--dilute her ability to swing out (not that you want to on every piece). But I guess I think those overly lush arrangements overwhelm her already terrific sense of style.

#20 of 47 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted May 03 2009 - 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Connell
I don't mind the music and the softer beats, but her vocals seem to be lifeless and she could cut out a little of the "breathiness". I know she can put emotion in her singing, even at slower speeds, without resorting to heavy breathing!

I get the impression she's singing in too low a key in many of the songs, i.e. she's really struggling with the low notes.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow