Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

T2 Announced on BD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 of 96 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 20 2009 - 12:38 PM

From IGN:
Quote:
Terminator 2 Sky-Net Edition Hits Blu-ray

Check out our exclusive look at the Robot Apocalypse on Blu-ray.

by Christopher Monfette

February 20, 2009 - We all know that the Robot Apocalypse is on its way, but thanks to a few classic movies, we have a good sense of what to expect. One of those movies, of course, is Terminator 2, the James Cameron sci-fi classic that proved we can't really change the future.

On May 19, 2009 Lionsgate will finally release Terminator 2 Skynet Edition on Blu-ray. Fans of the ultimate action film can see and hear multiple versions of the movie in explosive, THX certified high-definition and all-new English Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. The disc is loaded with over 8 hours of interactive Blu-ray content including over 140 minutes of behind the scenes video and multimedia galleries, storyboard-script views, audio commentaries, quizzes and games – plus additional BD-Live enabled content featuring games and more that is accessible on Internet-connected players.

In addition, the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition Blu-ray will be available for a limited time in the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set, a 6-disc set that allows the ultimate T2 fan to play the film anytime, anywhere! Packaged with a 14" T-800 Endoskull bust that plays sound effects from the film while its eyes light up, this collectible set features the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition Blu-ray plus both the Extreme Edition DVD and Ultimate Edition DVD – which, combined, include every T2 special feature ever released on DVD. As a bonus, the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set comes with a digital copy of the film for iTunes or Windows Media.

Terminator 2 Skynet Edition on Blu-ray Disc and the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set will be available for $29.99 and $174.99 respectively on May 19, 2009, coinciding with the theatrical release of Terminator: Salvation and the DVD release of the Schwarzenegger DVD Collection.

Bonus features include:
  • Multiple THX-certified high-definition versions of the film
  • All-new English 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Lossless
  • Picture-in-picture of behind the scenes video, text commentaries and multimedia galleries
  • Storyboard-script mode – view storyboards and read the script while watching the film
  • Interactive quizzes and games
  • BD-Live enabled, featuring games, extra content and more for Internet-connected players
  • Audio commentary with 26 cast and crew members
  • Audio commentary with director James Cameron and co-writer William Wisher
  • Enhanced for D-Box Motion Control Systems
  • Includes THX Optimizer

Pics and video clips are available on IGN:
IGN: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Skynet Edition) Preview

#2 of 96 Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 12:53 PM

Jumping Jehosophat! Lionsgate is re-releasing Terminator 2 in a new super-deluxe version? I didn't see that one coming.

Adam

#3 of 96 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 12:55 PM

Posted Image Definite day 1 pick up! Posted Image

#4 of 96 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 01:21 PM

This is AWESOME!!!!! I have to get that bust! I guess I can expect to pay anywhere between $150-$175 on release day. Although, for something this nice, I don't mind at all. Posted Image
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#5 of 96 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 01:36 PM

If they offered only the new Skynet Edition in the endoskull bust, I'd get it. I already have the Ultimate and Extreme Editions.

Having said that, can't wait!

#6 of 96 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 02:17 PM

This is freakin' AWESOME news!!! I've bought more copies of T2 than any other movie except Star Wars, but I'll gladly "dip" again for this edition. Sounds incredible. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#7 of 96 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted February 20 2009 - 02:52 PM

I was expecting something a little more comprehensive since the current disc can be had for about $10 these days. But I'll assume Van did a great job with the constraints of the project.

The 6-disc multi-edition seems a bit silly and even redundant. A second Blu-ray disc collecting the extras from the previous DVD releases would've been a very solid addition. I already own the UE and the XE, and would much rather unload those discs than have to keep them for all the extras. But I guess with this new Blu-ray release, I could essentially toss the first discs from the SD releases?
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#8 of 96 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 02:52 PM

The skull looks pretty, but I'm not paying $145 for it and a digital copy.

(Why the heck doesn't the normal Blu-ray have a digital copy? Everything else does these days...)
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#9 of 96 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
The skull looks pretty
Yes it does, but I've given up buying packaging that doesn't fit on my shelves. I'm glad they are offering it in regular packaging too.

Posted Image

more pics available on IGN.com: IGN: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Skynet Edition) Preview

#10 of 96 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:28 PM

So am I correct in assuming that the 6 disc set is the Ultimate Edition DVD (the one I have is a DVD-18 but I think later versions were spread over two discs), the two disc Extreme Edition and the new Blu-ray release?

Or long story short, if I don't want an Endoskeleton skull and I already have DVDs, I can just buy the newest BR, correct?

#11 of 96 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
So am I correct in assuming that the 6 disc set is the Ultimate Edition DVD (the one I have is a DVD-18 but I think later versions were spread over two discs), the two disc Extreme Edition and the new Blu-ray release?

Or long story short, if I don't want an Endoskeleton skull and I already have DVDs, I can just buy the newest BR, correct?
Yup. Unless you really want a digital copy.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 96 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:47 PM

Wow.......now that's a special edition! That 6 disc Endoskull set looks awesome.....I'm going to have to think long and hard on whether to pick this one up.
Recently watched- Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3, Mad Max 2, Mad Max, Wonder Woman(1974), Batman: Year One, The Adventures Of Tin Tin 3D, I,Frankenstein 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"That's no moon. It's a space station."

#13 of 96 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:49 PM

Question that just occurred to me: which cut(s) will the Blu-ray have? I don't mind if it doesn't have the one with the future-coda attached, but I'm hoping it has both extended and theatrical...
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#14 of 96 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 20 2009 - 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson
...I'm hoping it has both extended and theatrical...
Yeah, they're both on there.

EDIT: The info above says "Multiple THX-certified high-definition versions of the film" so I think you might get the future coda ending too.

#15 of 96 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 04:12 PM

Holy shit! Van Ling REALLY outdid himself! I'm assuming he put this together. I'll just buy the Skynet Edition and skip on the Endo Skull for now. What's the point of Digital Copy anyway? The sixth disc should've been exclusive to the Endo Skull as a DVD of brand-new extras. Digital Copy is pointless.
Just, wow.Posted Image

#16 of 96 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,304 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted February 20 2009 - 04:13 PM

"All-new English 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Lossless"

I thought 6.1 sound had been...ummm...terminated. What's with that? Could they not have *pretended* it was 7.1 and doubled the backs up?? I wouldn't have noticed then. Posted Image

Anyway, guess I'll be buying T2...again. And almost certainly not for the last time.

#17 of 96 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 04:48 PM

The extras on the Skynet Edition sound fine to me, and I'm sure Van did a good job with the menus and such. But in the end, the only thing that matters to me is how well the transfer was done. If they blew it with DNR and/or EE, it will be a MAJOR disappointment. Experience shows that the "THX-certified" label is worthless. If the transfer is top notch, they should be given heaps of accolades.

#18 of 96 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
But in the end, the only thing that matters to me is how well the transfer was done. If they blew it with DNR and/or EE, it will be a MAJOR disappointment. Experience shows that the "THX-certified" label is worthless. If the transfer is top notch, they should be given heaps of accolades.

Exactly. Given this new version is using the same master as the current version, I don't expect major improvements despite some "clean up" and new encode as I think most of the issues are in the master. I do know the AVC Japanese version is only very slightly better than the U.S. MPEG-2 version.

#19 of 96 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
Exactly. Given this new version is using the same master as the current version, I don't expect major improvements despite some "clean up" and new encode as I think most of the issues are in the master. I do know the AVC Japanese version is only very slightly better than the U.S. MPEG-2 version.
Some people are saying that a new Cameron-approved master will be done for a 2011 release, but that's a ways off.

#20 of 96 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 21 2009 - 12:23 AM

I'll pass on the Terminator Skull but will pick up the BD only set.

Looks like it has both cuts which it should have. Hopefully the PQ is a significant upgrade from both the US and UK BD's.
Death before Streaming!

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow