What's new

"Monster's Inc" and "A Bug's Life" officially announced for May 19 (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
The Pixar Blog: 'Bugs' and 'Monsters' Blu-ray details

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has revealed a release date and details for the highly anticipated debut of Pixar's A Bug's Life and Monsters, Inc. on the Blu-ray Disc high-definition home video format.

Both titles (Region 1) will be sold starting on May 19 and will be packaged as special two-disc sets, the second disc (a DVD) containing a DisneyFile digital copy.

The 'Bug's Life' Blu-ray will showcase exclusives such as:
An introduction by director John Lasseter
A roundtable with Lasseter, co-director Andrew Stanton, and producers Kevin Rehr and Darla Anderson
Storyboard animations
BD-Live features
The Monsters, Inc. Blu-ray will feature an exclusive roundtable with director Pete Docter, co-director Lee Unkrich, and producer Darla Anderson. Also included will be an interactive game and BD-Live stuff.

In addition to the above, both Blu-rays "will include all the features" that can be found on the currently available DVD releases.

Day 1 purchase for me without a doubt. I'm glad they are including a few new things for the Blu-ray release too. They are one of the few (maybe only) studios to do this for their catalog releases.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Me too although I wish the extra disc was a standard def version instead of a digital copy.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
"A Bug's Life" is still my favorite of the Pixar films although Wall-E gave it a good run this past summer. Can't wait to see it in HD!

Pre-Ordered as soon as I saw this post. I think I'm down to the Pixar movies being the only things left that I am willing to blind buy on release day. Of course, I've seen these on DVD, but future Blu-Ray releases like Up will be bought blind.

I just can't wait to get the rest of the Pixar movies on Blu-Ray.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
WAHOOOO!
Since I've had my blu-ray (for almost six months) I have only bought 1 movie, as I've netflixed all else. Monsters Inc, though , is on my very short list of blu purchases. WAHOOOO!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keep 'em coming, Disney! Glad these are coming out.
I do agree with DavidJ and wish they came with a DVD as well. The way Disney handled Sleeping Beauty was great.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I would love to preorder these right away too, but the SRP on these is ridiculous ($39.99 for A Bug's Life and $40.99 for Monsters, Inc.) and not even Amazon's discount is that compelling. (Plus there's their notorious penchant for reducing prices on release day just after preorders have shipped.)

However, there's a rumor they'll include a ticket or two to see Up with each release. Given that these will come out 10 days before Up hits theaters, the promotion makes sense. If so, I'll probably have to bite on these sooner rather than later, since anything Pixar is Day 1 appointment viewing for me.

Decisions, decisions. :confused: Still jazzed about this news though!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Been waiting for "BL" on HDM for half a decade.
What is the resolution of the original digital files for "BL"?
Thanks.
--------
The 1999 "CE" SD DVD was $49.98US (Tower {remember them?} was trying too sell it for $39.99; butt miss marked it so I got it for $13.99US [do you think that's why they went out of bussiness?]); the original MSRP for the anamorphic two disc set of "BL" on SD DVD back in the day.
That works out too $63.97 for the SD DVD '99 MSRP in today's $$$ (or lack there of).
Where as, today's cost of the BD is only $31.23US in '99 bucks.
I think a few people probably got the SD DVD for like 30 bucks in the last century & I think the BD will street for like 30 bucks in this century.
Which would you rather have?
----------------------------------------------------------------
I guess you could cry about the MSRP on the BD (this is Disney after all!); however more than a few people (me!) will be happy too pick this up, again.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
The resolution is 2K, apparently. Makes sense, since it still has to hold up on film. The samples that were in The Pixar Story looked amazing. I thought there wouldn't be much of an improvement, but the detail was astonishing. The old SE's will probably be flown out of the window when these arrive.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This should street at $25.99US or less.
Is everybody HAPPY!!!
----------------------
Glad too see MPEG 4, sad too see no mention of (L)PCM.
^^^
Yeah, get ready too dump your "CE"!!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Man I need to get a Blu-ray player. The old Bug's Life transfer (which is from 1999 IIRC) has not held up at all.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused.

Why would you be sad to see no mention of a track that would take up space when there's already a lossless track that is just as good and is compressed to allow space for extras?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No need too be confused.
I'm a BIG LPCM fanatic.
So, I like too 'see' LPCM.
-----------------------
It's totally OK if it doesn't mean anything too anybody else.
(well, maybe not anyone else: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...le-review.html)
--------------------------------------------------------
LPCM tracks I LUV:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypto
Black Hawk Down
Cars
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within
Kill Bill: Vols 1 & 2
Ratatouille
Shine a Light
Starship Troopers
Superman Returns

Jesse,
Do you really believe the PQ of Cars & Ratatouille suffer because of a LPCM soundtrack? If not, then why not LPCM?
If there is a problem w/the PQ of those titles, I'd blame the extras (wink)!

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Or 3) perhaps the quality doesn't suffer, but the discs are filled so that LPCM would make the quality of something suffer. ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Let's hope the Toy Story films arn't far behind, the only Pixar films I will own, all the others I'll just rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks