-

Photo
- - - - -

Help selecting speaker system / sub-woofer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   sujuxbo

sujuxbo

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:10 PM

After months of weighing the options between HTIB systems and buying separate components; I decided not to go with the HTIB and purchased the Onkyo TX-SR806. Because of a great pricing opportunity I was going to get the Bose Acoustimass® 10 speaker system until I found this website and read several of the threads regarding Bose reviews. Now I don’t know what speakers / sub-woofer system to go with.

I have a budget of $650.00 and because of the size and configuration of my living room the compact Bose system was great. I noted the HSU Performance2 system had been recommended in a thread and the compact size is great but is this a good system to go with?

LCD Flat Screen: Sony KDL-40V2500
Blu-ray: Sony BDP-S550
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR806

Any assistance is appreciated.
Thank you

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 17 2009 - 03:18 AM

Hi Julieanne,

HSU makes excellent subs and I've heard good things about the speakers as well. Just keep in mind that 'cube' speakers, no matter who makes them, will never sound as good as bookshelves.

If you are willing to look at bookshelves and willing to up the budget to $1000 (you should have spent less on the AVR, more on speakers), I suggest you look at the SVS package - SVSound - Complete Systems

Otherwise, go for the HSU. You will get a real sub and decent speakers (BOSE does not have a real sub) for a decent price.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,514 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 17 2009 - 07:13 AM

David's right -- if you can still return that receiver I'd swap it for a less expensive model and put the cash towards speakers.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   sujuxbo

sujuxbo

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:24 AM

Thank you both for your input on the SVS system. The problem is not the cost so much as the size of the speakers and the subwoofer. I realize satellite speakers are frowned upon but this is really what i need becasue of the layout and size of my room. Unfortunately there are not alot of stereo stores around to test speakers.

I recently checked out the following systems:

B & W M1's
Klipsh Cinema 6 Sytem
Kilpsch Quintet III

Any advise on a satelllite speaker system would be greatly apppreciated.

thanks so much,

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,514 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 20 2009 - 09:49 AM

If you need very small speakers, check out Orbs (they run banner ads here on HTF). A friend of mine has them and is pretty happy with them.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 05:03 AM

Speaker systems can only be evaluated by the ear of the purchaser. No one can tell you what is best for your ears so listen and compare as many options as possible.

I recently purchased the B&W M1 with the AS2 sub after listening to many satellite speakers systems (Def Tech 600,800,1000, Klipsh Cinema 8, Nano stats, energy) I also considered the SVS satellite system, but the size of sub and satellites were a bit larger than what we wanted for our family room remodel.

To both my wife and I all of the systems sounded good but some sounded better, and for us the B&W M1's made it to the top of our list. We did our evaluation listening to music first and then switching to video sources. I would say it was the listening to music we were familiar with allowed us to distinguish the differences between each system.

After being a stereo only guy for over 40 years I now differ from many who like to listen to CD's in Stereo mode. I also purchased a Integra 6.8 receiver with the B&W's and like the results of many of the surround modes the receiver is able to create from stereo material as I find it adds to the overall realism of sound stage.

We are very happy with the B&W's now that we have them in our home. They do a great job on both video and music. They are crisp and clear in the mid and high ranges with lots of detail and the AS2 sub although not an over powering sub does keep up with the M1's well.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted February 26 2009 - 05:15 AM

For what it is worth here is a review of the B&W system that I found after I had purchased them. From my experience with the system I tend to agree with the author.

Bowers & Wilkins M-1 Mini Theater 20 Speaker System-AVRev.com

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 453 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted February 27 2009 - 12:27 PM

The Speaker Company is getting a good reputation, and they have a system on sale that is in your budget:

TSBT3-HT

Audioholics had this to say about another tSc system:

Quote:
Based on our review of a few different system tSc sent us, their business model seems right on the money for offering the best bang for the buck in the industry. Their attached white paper (Hidden Cost of Speakers) explains how this is achieved and I have little reason to question its accuracy. What should scare the competition about this company is that they are redefining a benchmark of sound quality at these asking prices similar to what Panasonic did to Plasma many years ago. If this trend really catches on, then one wonders if profit margins in loudspeakers will disappear in a similar fashion. This is good news for consumers but not for competitor retailers and installers. Considering that they offer FREE shipping, FREE 30 day home trial policy and FREE return shipping if you don’t like the system, there is simply no risk in buying it. That being said, if a small compact inexpensive system is what you are looking for, than stop perusing the internet and buy this system!

Audioholics Review

The speakers might be too big; just what are your size contraints?

Also check out the Aperion 4xx series. They're pretty small, and they sound great.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,514 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 02 2009 - 04:04 AM

Hm. . .the TSC TST2 and TST3 floor-standing models are intriguing, but they only seem to sell matching center channels for their bookshelf systems. I wonder why.