Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need some advice on Receiver and speakers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   pcdoug

pcdoug

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:56 AM

I currently have a onkyo sr-500 , 2 Sony ss mb100h speakers, 2 Sony ss mb 150h speakers , a Sony sa wm 20 subwoofer and a polk center speaker csi-20 (04208) . The onkyo has gone out so i am wanting to replace it . What is a good receiver around 400 dollars ? and also , are the speakers i have any good or should i look into maybe replacing them also? I have a hitachi 60 inch hd tv, I will also be replacing my dvd player also. Im sorry for all the questions at once but i am trying to get some good advice before i buy this time.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   punman

punman

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:06 PM

I got a Harman Kardon AVR 146 in the fall for $270 Canadian ($220 U.S.) It was on sale - usually $100 more than that regular. I am happy with it for the price. Plays my 5.1 setup fine in a room 17 feet by 12 feet. To get way more features I'd have paid $700 or more and preferred to put the money into my speakers. I can upgrade the receiver later as it was not a huge investment.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,792 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:31 PM

Speakers are an individual choice but I'm not a big fan of Sony speakers and that Polk center probably doesn't match your fronts very well. It's important that the front three speakers are of the same make and model so I'd at least find a Sony center from the same series as your fronts. Let us know if you might get a BluRay player sometime and a budget for speakers if you decide to replace them. Then we can give you some more options
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Carlo S

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:55 PM

Just curious, how long ago did you purchase your onkyo sr-500? I have a Onkyo S595 and it is still going very strong.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   pcdoug

pcdoug

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 11:32 PM

i will be purchasing a blu-ray also, do you have any suggestions on what blu-ray would work good with the onkyo 606? i will have a speaker budget of about 300-400 dollars, can i work with any of the speakers i have? I might could go more on the speakers if it would make a big difference, i will not be using it for a stereo either.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   ccoady

ccoady

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 11:35 AM

PS3 is still probably the best Blu-Ray player in my opinion. You can surf the web with it, and play movies from sites like HULU.com (free) and the firmware is constantly updated for the BLURAY player and the game console. It has LAN connection and wireless built in plus the bluetooth remote for is (sold separately) is good also. Oh, it's also a good media server and can connect to your computer (just like some receivers) and play movies and music directly from your network. A lot of stuff for $399 and has a built in 80 gig hard drive.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,222 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 17 2009 - 02:25 PM

However, with the 606 you can get one that does not decode the latest formats and still enjoy them (saving a few $$$). I like the Pansonics (BD35). The newer Sony's and LG's are very good as well. Of course the PS3 is fine, but more expensive.

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   pcdoug

pcdoug

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 18 2009 - 09:47 AM

i purchased a ps3 at a great deal, so i have my blu-ray. is there another receiver that is comparable to the onkyo 606 for less money? i am trying to shift money into the speakers.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,222 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 18 2009 - 02:20 PM

Sure. The Onkyo 576. Since you have a PS3 now, on board decoding of the HD formats is no longer needed (the PS3 will handle this). You just need something that can play PCM. The 576 is the cheapest Onkyo that will work for you.

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   ccoady

ccoady

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:01 PM

Amazon has a great price on the Onkyo 606 right now.
$439.96 w/ free shipping
HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users