Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Amadeus -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
213 replies to this topic

#201 of 214 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,645 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 06 2009 - 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
I received mine and watched it -- first time seeing the DC.

PQ is indeed vastly better than the old DVD (on my 61" DLP RPTV from 9-to-10ft), *but* yes, it could certainly be better w/ a more film-like look -- the PQ reminds me a fair bit of Dark City. To me, the bigger beef now is the lack of the theatrical cut. I found pretty much all the additions to the DC to be pretty needless and just drags on pacing.

_Man_

We finally had time to watch our copy tonight, and I agree with Man regarding the picture quality. It was certainly better than the DVD, but I definitely noticed the DNR that took away some of the detail. As the film went on, though, I became more engrossed in the film and paid less attention to the transfer quality. An excellent film will usually do this to me, as long as the transfer is not too bad.

Regarding the DC, I think the additional scenes with Salieri and Constanze do add to the film, and help explain the tensions between the two at the end of the film. The added scene with Mozart and the nobleman with the dogs (can't remember the character's name) was not really necessary, though, IMO.

#202 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted March 07 2009 - 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
We finally had time to watch our copy tonight, and I agree with Man regarding the picture quality. It was certainly better than the DVD, but I definitely noticed the DNR that took away some of the detail. As the film went on, though, I became more engrossed in the film and paid less attention to the transfer quality. An excellent film will usually do this to me, as long as the transfer is not too bad.

Regarding the DC, I think the additional scenes with Salieri and Constanze do add to the film, and help explain the tensions between the two at the end of the film. The added scene with Mozart and the nobleman with the dogs (can't remember the character's name) was not really necessary, though, IMO.

Hmmm... Good point about how that added sequence (and subplot) helped better explain the tension in the ending. I wonder if it would not feel like a bit of a drag w/out the other additions.

Also, re: the PQ, I should add that the most obvious problem w/ the DNR do show up in the characters' faces, particularly in close®-ups where one would expect to see more facial details and skin texture than is visible here. It's really not just that it's lost the film-like look (w/ lost of grain), but the faces often also lost significant detail/texture. But yeah, the movie itself does tend to draw me in enough to overlook this problem much of the time -- except during parts where it started to drag some for me. However, I'm not sure how distracting the DNR would be if I'm using a much larger viewing angle like many FP folks use. It's minor enough in my current (forseeable) situation.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#203 of 214 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,596 posts

Posted March 08 2009 - 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
But yeah, the movie itself does tend to draw me in enough to overlook this problem much of the time -- except during parts where it started to drag some for me. However, I'm not sure how distracting the DNR would be if I'm using a much larger viewing angle like many FP folks use. It's minor enough in my current (forseeable) situation.

_Man_

Which is precisely why there are "professional" QC people in place to deal with anomalies before you buy the disc. Once you hit play, your only job should be to enjoy.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#204 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted March 08 2009 - 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Which is precisely why there are "professional" QC people in place to deal with anomalies before you buy the disc. Once you hit play, your only job should be to enjoy.

Totally agreed though we're unfortunately still each of us left w/ a decision to make as consumers, particularly those of us who really want to own this title and would find the PQ fine enough for the forseeable future. OTOH, I never bought Patton after finding out about the (worse) PQ issue. I'm also still holding out on The Last Emperor (for the MAR issue even though that's Storaro's IMHO-poor decision and will probably do likewise for all his other MAR releases). And I regret having bought a few others so far even though I got them at essentially bargain bin prices (thinking that might be a reasonable tradeoff).

And thanks again, RAH, for spending so much of your time over here, contributing to our benefit -- and also for being a very notable voice for the cause in the industry as well. Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#205 of 214 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted February 15 2012 - 10:41 AM

The Digibook is bargain-bin priced at the moment, $7.99 at Amazon.

Is WB clearing inventory for a new re-issue/new 4K scan a la Casablanca?

#206 of 214 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 10:59 AM

I picked it up for that price. It's better than the vhs copy I saw long ago.... I saw it in the theater in 1984, and if my memory can be believed from way back then it does not look as good as that. It does seem like maybe some dnr was used or overused. Still, for the price it's a fine movie and the best way to see it until a remaster is done someday. And I love the music and opera recreations. The performance of Salieri is memorable. Didn't he win an Oscar for that?

#207 of 214 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,161 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 15 2012 - 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by benbess 

I picked it up for that price. It's better than the vhs copy I saw long ago.... I saw it in the theater in 1984, and if my memory can be believed from way back then it does not look as good as that. It does seem like maybe some dnr was used or overused. Still, for the price it's a fine movie and the best way to see it until a remaster is done someday. And I love the music and opera recreations. The performance of Salieri is memorable. Didn't he win an Oscar for that?

The $7.99 price is gone from Amadeus (no matter to me as I already have my copy!).

F. Murray Abraham most certainly did win the Oscar for his portrayal of Salieri, Ben.  The film also won Best Picture and Best Directing as well as five other awards.

The only thing you'll notice different about this Blu-ray release--outside of the beautiful images/sound...is that this will only be the "Director's Cut" of the film.  It includes 20 additional minutes of footage to the 161 minute theatrical release.  Too bad for all those who would like to see the original version which won all those awards.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#208 of 214 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 02:31 PM

The $7.99 price is gone from Amadeus (no matter to me as I already have my copy!). F. Murray Abraham most certainly did win the Oscar for his portrayal of Salieri, Ben.  The film also won Best Picture and Best Directing as well as five other awards. The only thing you'll notice different about this Blu-ray release--outside of the beautiful images/sound...is that this will only be the "Director's Cut" of the film.  It includes 20 additional minutes of footage to the 161 minute theatrical release.  Too bad for all those who would like to see the original version which won all those awards.

Yes, that's his name. F. Murray Abraham is amazing in this. Impressive make up too. This seems like a film that has stood the test of time as one of the films where the academy made the right choice.... I have to say I feel strange about how hyped The Artist has been. I liked it well enough, but Best Picture? I just don't really believe that. I would vote for War Horse or Tree of Life....

#209 of 214 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 16 2012 - 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by benbess 

I have to say I feel strange about how hyped The Artist has been. I liked it well enough, but Best Picture? I just don't really believe that. I would vote for War Horse or Tree of Life....

Count on it. Occasionally a picture comes along that charms Hollywood down to its socks, and The Artist has done that (Slumdog Millionaire accomplished the same feat a few years ago). It has also helped that Jean Dujardin has given several blithe acceptance speeches in the past few weeks (George Clooney's once foregone Oscar has evaporated as a result), and the movie has the great Weinstein publicity machine behind it.

No, I'd say the only major race still up for grabs is Best Actress where either Viola Davis or Meryl Streep will prevail.

#210 of 214 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,563 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 17 2012 - 03:17 AM

Amazon is still letting you order the digibook for $8; it's just backordered. However, I recommend that people spend a few extra bucks on the 1997 DVD release. Yeah, you have to flip the disc halfway through, but you get to see the vastly superior theatrical cut. IMO the added scenes just cheapened the story by making Salieri out to be a lech. Of course, the nudity was fun. :)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#211 of 214 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 05:38 AM

I think the digibook is a flawed bargain. I like both cuts of the film. And the digibook has better pq and sound, and also a free CD of Mozart music that's nice. Sure, we all have CDs of Mozart, but it's a fun compilation of stuff that's nice for commuting to work. For $8 I think it's worth it. But I mostly agree with the original review by RAH--something is wrong with the picture. DNR makes it look unfilm-like. And it's such a magnificent movie that it deserves a remaster. Perhaps the fact that they are blowing these out the door at pennies on the original msrp means that a new version is in the works???

#212 of 214 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,563 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 17 2012 - 07:15 AM

30th anniversary, baby!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#213 of 214 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,257 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 17 2012 - 08:38 AM

Damn, now y'all have me wanting to watch the theatrical.  I have it in the Pioneer LD box set, but it might be worth the few bucks to get a copy of that old DVD for the superior upscaling.

#214 of 214 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 11:57 AM

You know for all the controversy about the very brief nudity, it does seem to be prefigured in the desserts that Salieri serves to her a few minutes earlier in the film.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow