Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Color laser printer/scanner recommendations?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:30 AM

A friend is looking for a color laser printer/scanner. It has to be a combo unit because of space considerations. His requirements:

Must be color
Must be laser
Must print in color
Must scan in color
Must scan in high res

The scanner should be flatbed (his current one feeds from the top and loops through the scanner/printer, occasionally eating the paper)

Fax capability is optional, he can take it or leave it. He'd like to keep the price under $500.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rich Gallagher

#2 of 6 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted February 16 2009 - 04:00 AM

I've got this one:

Brother MFC-9440CN Color Laser Flatbed All-in-One | Staples®

It's a great printer (IMO) and for $400 you can't beat it. I wish it had been that cheap when I bought mine. I've had it a little over a year and haven't had any problems except an occasional paper jam. It has the "loop-through" and flat bed scanner so it's the best of both worlds.

You say a friend is looking for one. He's going to need a friend to help lug it around. Posted Image This thing is heavy!

#3 of 6 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted February 16 2009 - 06:58 AM

Steve,

Thanks. I passed your info along. It looks like a good choice.
Rich Gallagher

#4 of 6 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 09:01 AM

That looks pretty nice. I was thinking about getting an inexpensive B&W one recently, but never took the plunge.

But wow! It weighs ~85lb??? That's ~10lb heavier than my new 61" DLP RPTV. Posted Image Posted Image

How are the color prints on it? Are the scanning and fax functions full featured even for networked use? And how durable is this beast?

Thanks for any additional info on it...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#5 of 6 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted February 17 2009 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
That looks pretty nice. I was thinking about getting an inexpensive B&W one recently, but never took the plunge.

But wow! It weighs ~85lb??? That's ~10lb heavier than my new 61" DLP RPTV. Posted Image Posted Image

How are the color prints on it? Are the scanning and fax functions full featured even for networked use? And how durable is this beast?

Thanks for any additional info on it...

_Man_

Color prints are good. Not photo quality of course but it doesn't claim to be.

I have mine connected through my wireless router with a CAT5 cable (this printer won't do strictly wireless networking). Scanning works the same as if it were connected via USB. The only faxing I have done is manually - put in a sheet and dial a number. I haven't tried faxing from my computer but the software that comes with it installs "Brother PC-FAX v.2" so I assume it will do what you are asking.

As for durability I can only say that it serves me well but I tend to be pretty careful with my stuff. I can't say how it might hold up to kids or multiple users in an office environment.

#6 of 6 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted February 17 2009 - 10:13 AM

One more thing:

Once it starts printing it's pretty fast. But the warmup process before the first print seems to take forever - you'll get your first print in about 30 to 45 seconds. I don't know how other color laser printers are but my old HP LaserJet (black only) was much faster than this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users