What's new

Color laser printer/scanner recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
A friend is looking for a color laser printer/scanner. It has to be a combo unit because of space considerations. His requirements:

Must be color
Must be laser
Must print in color
Must scan in color
Must scan in high res

The scanner should be flatbed (his current one feeds from the top and loops through the scanner/printer, occasionally eating the paper)

Fax capability is optional, he can take it or leave it. He'd like to keep the price under $500.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've got this one:

Brother MFC-9440CN Color Laser Flatbed All-in-One | Staples®

It's a great printer (IMO) and for $400 you can't beat it. I wish it had been that cheap when I bought mine. I've had it a little over a year and haven't had any problems except an occasional paper jam. It has the "loop-through" and flat bed scanner so it's the best of both worlds.

You say a friend is looking for one. He's going to need a friend to help lug it around.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
This thing is heavy!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That looks pretty nice. I was thinking about getting an inexpensive B&W one recently, but never took the plunge.

But wow! It weighs ~85lb??? That's ~10lb heavier than my new 61" DLP RPTV. :P :D

How are the color prints on it? Are the scanning and fax functions full featured even for networked use? And how durable is this beast?

Thanks for any additional info on it...

_Man_

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

Color prints are good. Not photo quality of course but it doesn't claim to be.

I have mine connected through my wireless router with a CAT5 cable (this printer won't do strictly wireless networking). Scanning works the same as if it were connected via USB. The only faxing I have done is manually - put in a sheet and dial a number. I haven't tried faxing from my computer but the software that comes with it installs "Brother PC-FAX v.2" so I assume it will do what you are asking.

As for durability I can only say that it serves me well but I tend to be pretty careful with my stuff. I can't say how it might hold up to kids or multiple users in an office environment.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
One more thing:

Once it starts printing it's pretty fast. But the warmup process before the first print seems to take forever - you'll get your first print in about 30 to 45 seconds. I don't know how other color laser printers are but my old HP LaserJet (black only) was much faster than this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks