Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Parts I and II) discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
254 replies to this topic

#1 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,288 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 15 2009 - 09:53 AM

Even though Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince doesn't hit theaters until this summer, news for the final installment is coming fast and furious. Filming starts this month, and it has been announced that Eduardo Serra (What Dreams May Come, Unbreakable, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will be the cinematographer:
Posted Image

I got to say, I'm a lot less excited by his pick than I was when Bruno Delbonnel was announced.

#2 of 255 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 11:55 AM

can't wait
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#3 of 255 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted February 20 2009 - 02:19 AM

Eduardo Serra is a damn good DP. At least Yates is good at picking them.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#4 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,288 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 20 2009 - 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
Eduardo Serra is a damn good DP. At least Yates is good at picking them.
And then he gets them to turn in murky, swamp-colored messes. I figured if anyone could turn in genuinely colorful photography, it'd be Bruno Delbonnel -- responsible for some of the most vibrant, saturated cinematography in recent memory. Maybe he did, but judging by the trailers it's all been drained out in post to a Black, yellow, white monochrome. With the exception of What Dreams May Come, a lot of Serra's cinematography already leans in this direction.

#5 of 255 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted February 22 2009 - 03:37 PM

I recall years ago when the movies were first starting and the "kids" were first cast and were literally about the same age as the characters were in the first book, since the movies wouldn't be shot quite as fast as one a year, there was concern that they might age a bit too fast, and look too old in the final movie(s).

Can I just say, I think it's actually worked out really well. You literally see Harry Potter as boy in the first movie, but by now he's unmistakably grown up, as have his friends.

#6 of 255 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted February 24 2009 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
I recall years ago when the movies were first starting and the "kids" were first cast and were literally about the same age as the characters were in the first book, since the movies wouldn't be shot quite as fast as one a year, there was concern that they might age a bit too fast, and look too old in the final movie(s).

I remember those concerns that some people had back in the day, and I thought they were ridiculous - I'm glad time proved me right on this one. In the first film, the characters are supposed to be what, 11? They were roughly that age, maybe a tiny bit older when they made the first film. I figured it would take about ten years to do all of the books, and I for one don't see anything out of the ordinary with 21 year olds playing 18. Happens all the time. People that were worried about the age thing, in my opinion, seem to have not really thought it out fully.

#7 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,288 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 21 2009 - 04:51 PM

First photos from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
Posted Image
Harry and Hermione on the run after Ron abandons their mission and goes home. If done right, this movie will have a lot of tent scenes, which provide a unique ability to convey the passage of time through the scenery. The only movie thus far that has done a decent job of that was Prisoner of Azkaban with the Whomping Willow.
Posted Image
Harry, Ron and Hermione find themselves fugitives on the run in London after the Ministry of Magic falls. This shot reminds me a lot of the recent Summit Entertainment thriller Push, in a good way.
Posted Image
Harry, Ron and Hermione are chased through London after the Ministry of Magic falls during Bill's wedding. At this point, they still haven't had a chance to change. (And man, in heels Emma Watson towers over poor Dan).

#8 of 255 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 12:39 AM

As soon as I saw the first picture, I wanted to read the book again. Somehow, it's the tent that gets me.

--
H

#9 of 255 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:14 AM

I am officially stoked to read the books again for the umpteeth time
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 255 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 22 2009 - 03:30 AM

About one of the photos....

I'm kinda surprised they're still doing Bill's wedding if that blurb is accurate. We've haven't really seen the character before (except for maybe a photo in POA).

#11 of 255 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
And man, in heels Emma Watson towers over poor Dan.

Perhaps the only 'unfortunate' thing about casting Radcliffe all those years ago, is that the poor guy hasn't grown very tall...

Rupert now towers over him, and didn't I read that even the girl playing Ginnie is taller than him?

#12 of 255 OFFLINE   Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 07:27 PM

Emma Watson is more in the foreground which may let her seem taller than she is. In the other 2 pictures she does not seem to be much taller than Radcliffe. Anyway, size doesn´t matter, right?

#13 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,288 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 23 2009 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
As soon as I saw the first picture, I wanted to read the book again. Somehow, it's the tent that gets me.

--
H
In this month's Empire (which features a great photo of the trio taken at Leavesden), Dan Radcliffe says: "This is a road movie, particularly in Part One of the film. That seems to have really freshened things up, and hopefully will get people seeing the films with fresh eyes again, because it is just a totally different look when you're not just sat in the same room the whole time."

The early onslaught of photos is in part a reflection of the fact that this story requires a good deal more location shooting than the very Hogwarts-extensive earlier films. That has me kind of excited that we're going to see something different.
Quote:
About one of the photos....

I'm kinda surprised they're still doing Bill's wedding if that blurb is accurate. We've haven't really seen the character before (except for maybe a photo in POA).
But we spent most of the fourth movie with his bride. (Clémence Poésy is rumored, I believe, to be returning).

If they were making Deathly Hallows into one jampacked movie, I think the wedding definitely would have been on the chopping block. But with over 240 minutes to kill, they don't really have to leave anything out of this one.

The thing you get from the wedding, even if it doesn't have the same impact it had in the book, is the jarring nature of the attack. Things go from serene frivolity with an undercurrent of unease to scarier and more dangerous than they've ever been before. I love the conspicuousness of the trio in their dress clothes on the streets of London. It really hammers home their vulnerability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
Perhaps the only 'unfortunate' thing about casting Radcliffe all those years ago, is that the poor guy hasn't grown very tall...

Rupert now towers over him, and didn't I read that even the girl playing Ginnie is taller than him?
Yeah, I think Bonnie Wright (who plays Ginny Weasley) is a hair taller than him -- but you only really notice it when she's in heels. I kind of like that about the casting though, which gets back to the idea from the very first book: that this shrimpy little kid with knobby joints and broken glasses could be the one to save the world. I kind of like that Dan isn't our collective idea of an action hero. One of the few mistakes of the book, in my opinion, was that Rowling tried to make Harry look the part more in the last couple books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwig Hanser
Emma Watson is more in the foreground which may let her seem taller than she is. In the other 2 pictures she does not seem to be much taller than Radcliffe. Anyway, size doesn´t matter, right?
She's wearing heels in the third picture, which is what accounts for the difference:
Posted Image
They're probably about the same height in real life, with Rupert being noticably taller. It matters only in regards to our cinematic expectations of taller male action hero, shorter sidekick and female cohorts. And for the reasons I've noted, subverting those expectations can be as rewarding as validating them.

#14 of 255 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 23 2009 - 04:32 PM

Looking forward to the last 3 films.

Emma looks stunning in that dress.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 255 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,023 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 24 2009 - 12:46 AM

I think the size difference turns out to be a great benefit. Early in the book series, Harry was described as a scrawny, wiry kid. Talk about whether or not being kept basically in a box below the stairs at his house hjelped keep him small.

I think it fits in with his mythos that it isn't that he's some giant superhero stature, but a "good kid" who does the right thing as his standing as a hero..

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#16 of 255 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 24 2009 - 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
But we spent most of the fourth movie with his bride. (Clémence Poésy is rumored, I believe, to be returning).

If they were making Deathly Hallows into one jampacked movie, I think the wedding definitely would have been on the chopping block. But with over 240 minutes to kill, they don't really have to leave anything out of this one.

The thing you get from the wedding, even if it doesn't have the same impact it had in the book, is the jarring nature of the attack. Things go from serene frivolity with an undercurrent of unease to scarier and more dangerous than they've ever been before. I love the conspicuousness of the trio in their dress clothes on the streets of London. It really hammers home their vulnerability.
I like the wedding and don't have a problem with it being in the movie. But Fleur's role in GoF was cut back pretty significantly. Don't know if it'll have the same impact, especially if the whole thing isn't set up in the HBP movie. Maybe what's jarring is just how closely they're following the book. Makes you wish they'd shot all those extra scenes from the others to begin with for some sort of extended edition.

What about all the other subplots that were never introduced in the movies that might make it into the final movies. Will Lupin and Tonks suddenly be together?

Additionally, I was assuming that they were swapping out the wedding for Dumbledore's funeral (which I think you may have suggested as a possibility at one point and which sounded like a decent change to me). But now if they've cut the funeral from HBP, will we be seeing it at all?

My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd Page

#17 of 255 OFFLINE   bosque

bosque

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted April 26 2009 - 10:39 PM

Half-Blood Prince is one of the weakest books in the series, like a filler and its only purpose was to give us a few unnecessary details about Voldemort's background and set-up the Horcrux business which oddly enough hadn't even been hinted at previously - but it makes you want to skip the sixth movie and go straight on to The Deathly Hallows which has a much better, more engaging, more enthralling story.

#18 of 255 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque
Half-Blood Prince is one of the weakest books in the series, like a filler and its only purpose was to give us a few unnecessary details about Voldemort's background and set-up the Horcrux business which oddly enough hadn't even been hinted at previously - but it makes you want to skip the sixth movie and go straight on to The Deathly Hallows which has a much better, more engaging, more enthralling story.

The diary in Chamber of Secrets is a horcrux, she just didn't explain the details back then. IIRC, the book tells us Voldemort figured out how to transfer himself into the book.

I disagree that HBP's only purpose is to fill in the details of Voldemort's life. It sets up DH and lays the groundwork for defeating him.

You want to upgrade again?!!

#19 of 255 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 27 2009 - 09:31 AM

The 6th book is actually my favorite. It's the only one I've read 3 times. Go figure.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#20 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,288 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 27 2009 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Maybe what's jarring is just how closely they're following the book. Makes you wish they'd shot all those extra scenes from the others to begin with for some sort of extended edition.
Absolutely. Most of the key things they've left out would have been cheap to shoot on existing sets, and wouldn't have eaten up very much additional screen time. Two examples from the last film, OOTP: having the complete flashback for Snape's Worst Memory (a scene is crucial to understanding his character in the last two books) and the fireplace scene with Kreacher. Not only would keeping the fireplace scene plug a plothole in the movie, it would have made Kreacher's role more dynamic in the HBP movie. As it stands, the glorified cameo felt disconnected from the rest of the film and served no real purpose.
Quote:
What about all the other subplots that were never introduced in the movies that might make it into the final movies. Will Lupin and Tonks suddenly be together?
Apparently Lupin and Tonks are just shown as being together in the HBP movie, with no great crisis in between.
Quote:
Additionally, I was assuming that they were swapping out the wedding for Dumbledore's funeral (which I think you may have suggested as a possibility at one point and which sounded like a decent change to me). But now if they've cut the funeral from HBP, will we be seeing it at all?
Good question.
If Emma weren't wearing a bright red dress in those set pics, I'd definitely still be on board the funeral substitution theory. Were that the case, however, I think she'd have been wearing something black and mournful. There have been shots in the HBP trailers that suggest scenes not mentioned in the test screening reports, so it's possible that Dumbledore's funeral has been added later. But knowing Yates, I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque
If the sixth book didn't exist, the final story would have felt like a huge cheat. It put together all of the pieces that have been carefully scattered throughout the earlier books, so everyone knew what was to come in the seventh story. It has the least texture of the seven books, a consequence of Rowling's focus on brevity after the criticisms of OOTP, but my opinion of it has improved greatly over time. OOTP would have been a hard one to get right, even if Yates and Goldenberg hadn't made some very disappointing decisions. HBP is a very straightforward story, broken up by very cinematic flashbacks. If Yates screws that one up, I think I'll throw in the towel on the two DH films.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow