-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Receiver suggestion?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   AudioFreak

AudioFreak

    Auditioning

  • 8 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 15 2009

Posted February 15 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hey guys,
I've got my speakers and sub coming next week.I now need a receiver.I want to get what I need,but don't want to get something that I may not.Here's what I'm hooking up..
1 Xbox 360 (component video,coax audio)
2 Panasonic BD55 or BD35 Blu-Ray
3 Dish HD-DVR (VIP722)
Hooked up to my lCd that has two 2HDMI inputs.Would like to keep it in the $300-$600 range.
Any suggestions?Thanks

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

    Producer

  • 5,706 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 05 2003
  • Real Name:Gene
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 15 2009 - 10:16 AM

The number one receiver recommended in your price range is the Onkyo 606. It can usually be had for around $400. The Yamaha 663 is next at around $500 from authorized dealers. The 706 is considered to be worth the extra cost ($550) with a stronger amp section, better version of Audyssey and pre outs so you can add an external amp should you ever want to.

As for the BluRay player, I'd settle for the 35 over the 55. You don't need the internal decoders with any receiver I suggested and the 55 is getting scarce and expensive ($950 new on Amazon today!!).
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).
 
Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.
 
 

 


#3 of 6 OFFLINE   AudioFreak

AudioFreak

    Auditioning

  • 8 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 15 2009

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
The number one receiver recommended in your price range is the Onkyo 606. It can usually be had for around $400. The Yamaha 663 is next at around $500 from authorized dealers. The 706 is considered to be worth the extra cost ($550) with a stronger amp section, better version of Audyssey and pre outs so you can add an external amp should you ever want to.

As for the BluRay player, I'd settle for the 35 over the 55. You don't need the internal decoders with any receiver I suggested and the 55 is getting scarce and expensive ($950 new on Amazon today!!).

Thanks for the heads up on the BD55,I'll go with the BD35 then.As for the 606,the stories of heat issues and some kind of hum noise, kinda made me hesitant to get it.I'll look into the 706 though.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

    Producer

  • 5,706 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 05 2003
  • Real Name:Gene
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 15 2009 - 12:45 PM

A couple of others to think about are the Pioneer 1018 and the Harman Kardon 354 ($579 shipped from OneCall.com).

You can also find the Denon 1909 and Pioneer vsx-01txh for under $600 on-line but they won't be from an authorized dealer. I wouldn't risk it.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).
 
Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.
 
 

 


#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

    Screenwriter

  • 1,868 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 07 1998

Posted February 16 2009 - 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreak
.... As for the 606,the stories of heat issues and some kind of hum noise, kinda made me hesitant to get it. ...

No problems (w/heat or hum) with mine (since August 7, 2008).

Audyssey:
I can say that the claims that the Audyssey 2EQ takes into account the speakers, frequency response and HT room interaction during the 3-position measurement process does work!!! It's amazing!!! It just amazing!!! Posted Image Posted Image

Based on what I hear from my 5.1/6.1/7.1 HD DVD & Blu-ray TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio discs - blockbuster movies w/dynamics & seamless 360-degree surround soundtracks - it's like experiencing a new sound design w/the familiar movie soundstage because of a slightly more depth and clarity.


Associated equipment:
SPEAKERS: JBL Studio (Original) Series Speakers:
1) CENTER (Feb. '02): ................. JBL S-Center
2) FRONTS (Feb. '02): ................. JBL S26
3) SIDE SURROUNDS (Feb. '02): .... JBL S26
4) REAR CENTERS (Apr. '03): ........ JBL S26
PWR-SUB: ................................. SVS 25-31PCi 320w BASH Amp 12" Sub-woofer (Apr. '02)
BLU-RAY DVD PLAYER: ................. Sony BDP-S350 1080i/p HDMI Blu-ray (Aug. 6. 2008)
HD DVD PLAYER: ......................... Toshiba HD-A35 1080i/p HDMI HD DVD (Nov. 23. 2007)
HDTV: ...................................... Toshiba 62HM196 62" 16:9 1080p DLP HDTV (Nov. 2006)
CD: .......................................... Technics SL-MC410 110+1 Mega CD Changer
DVR / HDR: ................................. RCA DRC8030N 80GB HDR-DVR Recorder
DVR/VCR: ................................... Samsung DVD-VR330 DVR-VCR Combo
SATELLITE RADIO: ....................... DELPHI XMSKYFI Home Kit w/Remote
CABLES: ..................................... Monster & Interconnects
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   AudioFreak

AudioFreak

    Auditioning

  • 8 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 15 2009

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Iturralde
No problems (w/heat or hum) with mine (since August 7, 2008).

Audyssey:
I can say that the claims that the Audyssey 2EQ takes into account the speakers, frequency response and HT room interaction during the 3-position measurement process does work!!! It's amazing!!! It just amazing!!! Posted Image Posted Image

Based on what I hear from my 5.1/6.1/7.1 HD DVD & Blu-ray TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio discs - blockbuster movies w/dynamics & seamless 360-degree surround soundtracks - it's like experiencing a new sound design w/the familiar movie soundstage because of a slightly more depth and clarity.


Associated equipment:
SPEAKERS: JBL Studio (Original) Series Speakers:
1) CENTER (Feb. '02): ................. JBL S-Center
2) FRONTS (Feb. '02): ................. JBL S26
3) SIDE SURROUNDS (Feb. '02): .... JBL S26
4) REAR CENTERS (Apr. '03): ........ JBL S26
PWR-SUB: ................................. SVS 25-31PCi 320w BASH Amp 12" Sub-woofer (Apr. '02)
BLU-RAY DVD PLAYER: ................. Sony BDP-S350 1080i/p HDMI Blu-ray (Aug. 6. 2008)
HD DVD PLAYER: ......................... Toshiba HD-A35 1080i/p HDMI HD DVD (Nov. 23. 2007)
HDTV: ...................................... Toshiba 62HM196 62" 16:9 1080p DLP HDTV (Nov. 2006)
CD: .......................................... Technics SL-MC410 110+1 Mega CD Changer
DVR / HDR: ................................. RCA DRC8030N 80GB HDR-DVR Recorder
DVR/VCR: ................................... Samsung DVD-VR330 DVR-VCR Combo
SATELLITE RADIO: ....................... DELPHI XMSKYFI Home Kit w/Remote
CABLES: ..................................... Monster & Interconnects


That's good to hear.Posted Image





Forum Nav Content I Follow