Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What can we do about Warner Bros?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 of 169 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,559 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 15 2009 - 01:40 PM

That was my very point. A TrueHD track includes the DD track. You don't need it to be separate to include it on the disc. This is how Sony does their releases.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#22 of 169 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 02:01 PM

Then just hit the chapter search button to go back to the beginning and then away you go.

#23 of 169 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 03:01 PM

And when you have a nice hometheater with dimmable lights and remotes that do macros which dim them and start the movie why should you have to explain to your guests why you had to start the movie over or why you had to bring the menu up (because a PS3 doesnt have an audio button )? It is a hassle and also takes away from the whole experience. The wow factor is gone. Guests or not.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#24 of 169 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,470 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 15 2009 - 03:14 PM

what remote do you use. i use the PS3 remote and it most definitely has a audio button.
facebook.com/whotony

#25 of 169 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 04:33 PM

This is how Sony does their menus. Unless Sony is making BRs that don't conform to spec (which would be surprising), they do their TrueHD tracks the same way Warner does.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#26 of 169 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 04:34 PM

Universal always included a separate 5.1 track.

#27 of 169 OFFLINE   L BENDER

L BENDER

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Warner for GOODBYE MR CHIPS and FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD. Would like to see WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY and SURVIVING PICASSO. Really great films.

#28 of 169 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:32 AM

I don't like Warner's self starting discs and their 'good enough approach' with many titles (single layer, ABR < 20 Mbit/s). Their output is rarely really bad and also rarely they pull out all the stops for a superior product. They come across as calculating penny pinchers trying not to deviate much from some middle line.

#29 of 169 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:53 AM

Nyko Blue Wave learned to a Home Theater Master MX950. It was the only IR solution at the time. Im not using 2 remotes.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#30 of 169 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 04:34 AM

So then it's a remote issue, not a disc issue, isn't it?

#31 of 169 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 16 2009 - 06:01 AM

My gripes with WB's Blu Rays is the fact they are DNR'ing their films to death... the suits don't understand film at all. Also They are becoming the worst on releases in general with disc usage. It is really embarrasing to know films like Getway get about 16/17GB of disc space and other studios would've given a film with its running time sometimes of 30-35GBs of space. It is really sad. Amadeus is sad... I thought Poltergiest was gonna be great it was medicore... I saw screen grabs of the prev DVD that had more detail of dirt etc in some scenes! When you do the noise reduction You eat away at the film grain ... and guess what film grain contains the actual image! At least Best Buy has Amadeus for 14.99 this week I am taking in my receipt and getting the diffence back I will put that money towards Kramer VS Kramer... I hear sony kept the grain and it looks amazing! Oh I also detest the way they hardly ever use the original WB logo for the 70's early 80's on all releases. If you want to shwo the new log first do so but start the film the way it originally started. It is really distracting to see this new golden pristine logo in front of a more classic 70's film. It is just tacky. They must hate that Saul Bass logo over at WB's.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#32 of 169 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 06:14 AM

Why? I shouldn't have to! I didn't in the cinema this afternoon...

#33 of 169 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 06:15 AM

TOTALLY. EXACTLY.

#34 of 169 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 06:20 AM

No it's entirely a disc issue! The way that Warner Bros designs their discs makes it unnecessarily fiddly to watch a movie. When that first frame of footage appears and that first note of the score strikes I don't want a single thing to distract me until that final closing credit disappears off the screen. I certainly don't want to think "Oh shit, I forgot, it's a WB title, better get that menu up, or change that audio option". EVERY OTHER STUDIO lets me watch a movie uninterrupted from start to finish without having to back it up to the start. DVD lets me do this. Why is it what Warner Bros. Blu-ray Discs don't?

#35 of 169 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 06:43 AM

You could just pause the disc when the film starts, and then change the audio. It's not that difficult, and you can still see the film uninterrupted.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#36 of 169 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 07:10 AM

True, but if you're going to use that argument, at the cinema you also didn't remove a disc from its case, insert it into a player and press close. The goal of HT may be to reproduce the theatrical experience as closely as possible, but certain details will always be different. What you're learning is that this issue isn't as important to everyone else as it is to you. I can understand why this might be disappointing, because it's really the only issue left from your initial list that's exclusive to Warner.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#37 of 169 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,559 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:11 AM

Sony almost always has only one English audio track, and it's TrueHD. Just off the top of my head, titles such as National Security, Immortal Beloved, and Frozen River are all like this. Perhaps we're thinking of two different things, Michael? While it may not be a required spec of BD to playback TrueHD at 2.0, I have yet to come across a disc that doesn't allow it, especially Warner titles.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#38 of 169 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,559 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:13 AM

I thought Amadeus looks and sounds exceptional.

#39 of 169 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:19 AM

I love Warners BluRays (and DVDs). I think they are some of the best out there. Personally, I love having the movie start right up. Plus the menu is a simple "1 click" away. I threw the Ratatouille BD on the other day, and I swear there were at least 15 to 20 different blasts of Disney Blu Ray fanfare, patting themselves on the back, previews, warnings and other crap. Can you imagine if every time we wanted to listen to a CD we had to toggle through all of that to hear the music?

#40 of 169 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:21 AM

It does but it could've been better.. we didn't need DNR and it could used more disc space. Raging Bull pumps out high mbps then Amadeus.. Most of the time Amadeus was sitting anywhere from 11mbps to about 18 if that... That is NOT quality that is just getting out product with out high quality standards. It could and should've been a better release. They should strive for the best quality in their films. It looks way better than DVD, but it deserved better. I honestly think they are doing low disc storage on their films now so later on they can parade higher bit rate discs and resale them.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users