Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Simpsons Season 20 (New HD Intro)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 10:30 AM

After nearly 20 years, The Simpsons have changed their intro with full episodes now broadcast in Widescreen HD.

YouTube - The Simpsons - NEW Main Title

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 10:36 AM

Nice to see they are keeping elements from the old opening sequence. I think that the couch chasing goes on a little too long, though.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 10:42 AM

If I remember correctly, they were using the wider theatrical film animation cels and plates (or whatever, not familiar with all the terminology) to create the show for years, so it's probably not a big deal for them to create the show for a 16:9 frame.

Damn TV wasn't mounted right!

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Karl Pozorski

Karl Pozorski

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 12:04 AM

Love that new intro even though Burns and Smithers were replaced by Lenny and Carl. And did my eyes decieve me or did Maggie's price change? I wonder if the switch to widescreen means we'll start getting the season sets on blu-ray. Hope so.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 15 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hmmm. I have mixed feelings about it. It's technically well made but it just feels "off" and a bit antiseptic.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 09:34 AM

Well, I suppose with all that happened over the years, and update to the intro was due.

Quote:
I think that the couch chasing goes on a little too long, though.

Yeah, in the last few years many of the couch gags go on for very long. They seem to be producing shorter episode running times I guess.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pozorski
Love that new intro even though Burns and Smithers were replaced by Lenny and Carl. And did my eyes decieve me or did Maggie's price change?

I don't know what the original sequence price was, but this one is pretty easy to see now. Before scanning Maggie, the total was $243.26 and afterwards it was $486.52.

#8 of 36 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,311 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin
I don't know what the original sequence price was,
$847.63

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:08 AM

I like it. Nice to see they've moved to widescreen. I'm betting however that it will be shortend down latter on.Posted Image
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
$847.63

I just downloaded the flv file of this sequence and paused it to read what it said.

I hope you had to look that up, or paused the original sequence, because to just know that offhand....yikes!

Posted Image

#11 of 36 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,311 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 15 2009 - 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin
I hope you had to look that up, or paused the original sequence, because to just know that offhand....yikes!
As sick as it is, I did know it off hand. Posted Image I'm a walking encyclopedia of about the first decade of The Simpsons but I think that's always stuck with me because I got into an argument with someone who was trying to tell me that it actually said "NRA4EVER" (like the joke in The 138th Episode Spectacular says) and I ended up freeze framing it and showing him the $847.63 and he still wouldn't believe me. That debate ranks as one of the dumber ones that I've ever gotten into.

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Karl Pozorski

Karl Pozorski

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 03:17 PM

The $847.63 also unlocked an Easter egg on the Season 3 3rd Disk. It gives you access to audio outtakes from that season.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
Yeah, in the last few years many of the couch gags go on for very long. They seem to be producing shorter episode running times I guess.

Good. The new episodes are just torturous. The shorter they are, the better.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
As sick as it is, I did know it off hand. Posted Image I'm a walking encyclopedia of about the first decade of The Simpsons but I think that's always stuck with me because I got into an argument with someone who was trying to tell me that it actually said "NRA4EVER" (like the joke in The 138th Episode Spectacular says) and I ended up freeze framing it and showing him the $847.63 and he still wouldn't believe me.

I didn't remember the actual numbers shown there, but knew the NRA gag was never part of it (though I'm sure like your friend a LOT of people started believing it was really there after that episode) because they were clearly numbers.

There must be 100 or more episodes of the show I've never seen because I gave it up around 2000 or so entirely, because once I started seeing promos of upcoming episodes that had Marge becoming a weightlifter with huge arms and other ridiculous things, I was done.

1992 to around 1997 are when I loved it, especially 92, 93 and 94.

#15 of 36 ONLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted February 16 2009 - 12:00 PM

The HD version of this episode was really a treat. It was just so colourfull.

Are they going to be in HD from now on?
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 12:41 PM

Yup.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 01:46 PM

What sucks is that Fox (at least in my area) doesn't letterbox the show for non-HD broadcast so, if you're unfortunate enough to be watching on a 4:3 TV, as I was last night, the picture is completely ruined by extreme cropping.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Brian
What sucks is that Fox (at least in my area) doesn't letterbox the show for non-HD broadcast so, if you're unfortunate enough to be watching on a 4:3 TV, as I was last night, the picture is completely ruined by extreme cropping.

That is dependent on the local affiliate, because some Fox channels (and Global here in Canada) did letterbox the episode for standard definition broadcast.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, it was pretty noticable. I remember at least a couple of times where Lisa was talking, but she was almost completely out of the frame.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Shad R

Shad R

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 12:17 AM

Why is this show still on the air? I stopped watching around 2000 as well, but every once in a while I will watch an episode out of curiousity. I have not laughed once in about five years. The movie,on the other hand, was really good. They should cancel the show, and stick to theatrical features.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow