Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha can't help me make receiver work

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   curveball

curveball

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 10:41 AM

A few weeks ago I purchased a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver and a Boston Acoustics HPS120 subwoofer. I had to put my ear to the grill of the subwoofer to hear the rumbling in it. Indeed it was the HD concert channel I had on. Yamaha tech support took me through all setup possibilities, including raising the volume setting in the receiver to the maximum for the subwoofer, to no avail. I pulled out an old Philips receiver and the new subwoofer worked fine. I attached my old Philips subwoofer to the new Yamaha and it was the same quietly muffled result. Tech guy had me run the subwoofer line into the "left" port on the subwoofer rather than the LFE. Not much difference. So I shipped it back and got another from another vendor, Amazon, which unlike the first is kosher for Yamaha warranties. Same problem, same help from Yamaha tech, same details. So, knowing that life sometimes throws us odd stuff, I shipped that one back for a replacement from Amazon. Set up the third new receiver today. Same old, same old. Yamaha tech guy suggested buying another model receiver. I am tired of packing and unpacking and traipsing to the UPS dropoff. Embarrassed, too, at putting perfectly good vendors through all this along with me. Again, the new subwoofer and the old subwoofer work fine with another receiver. Anybody got ideas for making this one work.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 13 2009 - 12:40 PM

Just double checking............ It's not plugged into the multi ch. input for sub, is it? A mistake a lot of people makes. Speakers set to small, in receiver's setup menus? Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Surely they walked you through making sure the sub was turned on, and level adjusted, in receiver's setup menus?
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   hodedofome

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 12:42 PM

Probably the speakers are set to "large," make sure the speakers are set to "small." Just wanted to emphasize what Ed said, I'll bet that's your issue.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,217 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 13 2009 - 04:02 PM

One thing to try is the internal test tones of the receiver. These will tell you for sure if your sub is working. If you get good sound from your sub with the test tones, the problem is with your settings. If you get no sound, the problem is hardware.

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users