Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Make Way for Tommarow/subUrbia Criterion news!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 07:19 AM

Both have been confirmed to be coming from Criterion today. It's especially nice to see that Criterion will be releasing Make Way for Tommarow.

#2 of 15 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 10:28 AM

Sweet. So I guess Warner has opened the licensing floodgates.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#3 of 15 gunthertoody

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 11:12 AM

What's your source. Please post a link.

#4 of 15 IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 11:21 AM

I emailed John Mulvaney who confirmed Make Way for Tommarow to me.

I emailed Linklater through his production comany website (Detour Filmproduction) and got the confirmation on subUrbia.

Both emails are published on criterionforum.org in the appropriate threads.

#5 of 15 gunthertoody

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 11:28 AM

Can't find it over there, but I'll take your word for it.

#6 of 15 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 02:56 AM

Would love to see Universal or Criterion tackle McCarey's RUGGLES OF RED GAP. My ultimate dvd (but-in-reality-it-ain't-going-to-happen) is a Criterion edition of MY SON JOHN, which is more like MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW than any of McCarey's other films.

MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (and THE AFRICAN QUEEN) topped Mike Clark's USA TODAY MIA Dvd List in December.
Charles Hoyt

#7 of 15 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunthertoody
Can't find it over there, but I'll take your word for it.

Also can't find it there. Can you post them here?

#8 of 15 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 804 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 08:45 AM

Great news if this really happens!

And add me to the list of those who would like to see a release of My Son John.

#9 of 15 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 10:31 AM

Here's the link from the Criterion Forum post. The OP here uses his real name (ianungstad) for his Criterion Forum handle:
• View topic - Criterion and Warner Bros.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#10 of 15 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 09:30 PM

Before we get our hopes up about WB and sublicensing, this could be one of those situations where the rights have reverted directly to Linklater's company Detour and they are working independent of WB. After all, why would any sort of deal between WB, Linklater, and Criterion involve only one of his movies and not all for the company?
In all candor, subUrbia is easily Linklater's worst film, and quite honestly, one of the worst films I've ever seen, especially from a director who has normally hit home runs with me. But I would be very interested in hearing Linklater provide commentary and context for this misfire.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#11 of 15 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 12:23 AM

Excellent news if true, I would buy both films in a heartbeat!

#12 of 15 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 08:10 AM

Make Way for Tomorrow got announced for February: http://www.criterion.com/films/2350

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#13 of 15 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 10:25 AM

(Slight detour from discussing the fabulous news about Make Way For Tomorrow)...

Charles --

TCM will air My Son John on January 27 as part of that month's Shadows of Russia Showcase film festival.

Here's TCM's press release with the complete line-up of films:

http://www.amazon.de/Kung-Fu-Zeichen-Drachen-Staffel/dp/B002KKKAB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258235759&sr=1-3

(And yes to Ruggles of Red Gap... I treasure my laser disc.) :)

PaulaJ

#14 of 15 Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 289 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted November 14 2009 - 11:53 AM

I clicked on the TCM link and got something different. Perhaps PaulaJ meant to post this:
news.turner.com/article_display.cfm

#15 of 15 Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 515 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 12:12 PM

Wow! Great news. I have never seen "Make Way for Tomorrow", and after hearing that it inspired Ozu's "Tokyo Story", I have been wanting to see it badly! February 2010 is looking to be a great month!

-Rodney

-Rodney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users