-

Photo
- - - - -

MY DREAM CAME TRUE- "Peyton Place" on DVD this May from Shout! Entertainment!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#41 of 614 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:08 AM

I have been watching episodes taped from the Romance Channel 10 years or so ago. The prints themselves certainly leave much to be desired, however, they were run complete with the teaser for the next episode. They run about 24 minutes each, so at 720 minutes we'll be getting 30 episodes in Volume 1.

The storylines are engaging, and the acting is excellent. It really is classic television at its' finest. I have really enjoyed the show, and I will be buying at least two sets at a time, and perhaps more for gifts. I'd love to see Shout! find success with this! Every other month would be a great release schedule... do you really think we could see that kind of consistency? MPI has done such an excellent job with Dark Shadows, I truly hope Peyton Place receives similiar treatment!

I'm hoping no one has to resort to bootlegs to see the entire run of this one.

Jack

#42 of 614 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:22 AM

This is one series that I hope sells really well. I wonder if such a show would appeal to a younger (say, 20-30 year old) audience? I have no idea.

#43 of 614 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,380 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
This is one series that I hope sells really well. I wonder if such a show would appeal to a younger (say, 20-30 year old) audience? I have no idea.

All I would say to that is that whatever seemed shocking in 1964 would be considerably less so in 2009. Peyton Place was considered naughty and scandalous in its day; now we have Gossip Girl. I don't think 20-30 year olds will get into it, but it's perfect for nostalgia and should find its dvd-buying audience.

But geez--I don't know how many of you read the original novels, but they were easily about 20 times naughtier than the movie and tv shows...! Very salacious for their time; maybe they still are. It's easy to see why Selena was dropped after the pilot; if they followed her storyline from the novel, she'd have been brutally raped by her step-father and basically became the town slut. Not typical primetime tv fare.

#44 of 614 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:39 AM

I bought up all the novels and the two novels which number two was not like the movie with incest family murder. Two books on how the novels and movies came to be. The paper back novels were very shocking to me. The plots were designed to have a lot of sex and not much content. The romance channel did a fine job and I was glad when they repeated it for awhile. Martin Peyton was my favorite in the show. I think Allison leaving gave the show an opening for new plot lines even though I liked Mia Farrow. The Rod Betty Steve storyling was very Gone With The Wind in triangle That last year the show wanted to be everything to everybody.

#45 of 614 OFFLINE   whisperintherain

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 08:41 AM

Well, I guess I can only speak for myself here, but I'm turning 27 next month and to me, the news of this release was actually the best of everything posted on tvshowsondvd.com last Friday. I really can't wait to get into PEYTON PLACE! Without this show, most of the primetime soaps that followed probably wouldn't have seen the light of day.
Bring these sets on!

Knots Landing: Seasons 3-14 - The Nanny: Seasons 4-6 - Peyton Place : Episodes 65-514 - Picket Fences : Seasons 2-4

#46 of 614 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 10:09 AM

I know many of you are against recasting a known role. However, do not forget for one season of "PEYTON PLACE" when Allison (was on her honeymoon with Sinatra) but on the series she was in a coma, Dorothy Malone was also away for open heart surgery and Lola Albright replaced her for the entire winter season that year, which I believe was three months. Similar to Donna Reed taking over for Ms. Ellie on "DALLAS". And no one said a word. As I remember she was great as Constance. Then later in the series George MacRaedy was away for an extended illness and Wilfred Hyde White stepped into the role. It was not a big deal with either being away from the series. I still think Leigh Taylor Young could have stepped in for Mia, after a few months and it would have been like she was always Allison. She had a very similar look.
As a matter of fact she and Ryan O'Neal got married as a result of "Peyton Place". I also read that Gene Tierney was to be cast as Constance in the sequel to the film "RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE" and then Eleanor Parker ended up with the role. I was hoping when they released the DVD of the film "Peyton Place", they would have included the pilot. There is alot of controversy concerning the pilot. Monash was very happy with it, and not sure what happened. I mean they certainly did not have to keep the angle of the storyline from the film in the series. The series bears no resemblance to the books or the films other than a few central characters. Every storyline was gone from the film, basically !!
Still enjoyed the series though until Allison left.........................

#47 of 614 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 10:39 AM

The reason why Gene Tierney was unable to do the film was pregnancy, unfortunately she miscarried. Also, Dorothy didn't have heart surgery, she had a severe lung infection that led to a near-fatal embolism and blood clots. Fortunately after a few months she was on the road to recovery. Lola Albright was quite good (loved her on Peter Gunn!), and she should have been offered another role on the show. BTW, when Allison was in her coma on the show, it was before she married Sinatra. She went off with him on a sailing trip off the Atlantic coast, and it made news all over.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#48 of 614 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanP
I know many of you are against recasting a known role. However, do not forget for one season of "PEYTON PLACE" when Allison (was on her honeymoon with Sinatra) but on the series she was in a coma, Dorothy Malone was also away for open heart surgery and Lola Albright replaced her for the entire winter season that year, which I believe was three months. Similar to Donna Reed taking over for Ms. Ellie on "DALLAS". And no one said a word. As I remember she was great as Constance. Then later in the series George MacRaedy was away for an extended illness and Wilfred Hyde White stepped into the role. It was not a big deal with either being away from the series. I still think Leigh Taylor Young could have stepped in for Mia, after a few months and it would have been like she was always Allison. She had a very similar look.
As a matter of fact she and Ryan O'Neal got married as a result of "Peyton Place". I also read that Gene Tierney was to be cast as Constance in the sequel to the film "RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE" and then Eleanor Parker ended up with the role. I was hoping when they released the DVD of the film "Peyton Place", they would have included the pilot. There is alot of controversy concerning the pilot. Monash was very happy with it, and not sure what happened. I mean they certainly did not have to keep the angle of the storyline from the film in the series. The series bears no resemblance to the books or the films other than a few central characters. Every storyline was gone from the film, basically !!
Still enjoyed the series though until Allison left.........................
That's all very interesting information. Posted Image

I remember when Victoria Winters (A. Moltke) left Dark Shadows. The show wasn't the same, but I still enjoyed many of the story lines that occurred after her departure. I don't remember too much of Peyton Place after Allison left. It is very possible that my family (mostly my mother, and through her, me) stopped watching it for reasons unrelated to the show, though.

This release is beginning to send chills down my spine. I am very much looking forward to a nostalgic stroll down memory -- and we're talking the dark recesses of my mind kind of memory -- lane. Posted Image It is very possible that the images I end up seeing when I rewatch the show will resonate as strongly as many of those from The Outer Limits did when I eventually rewatched that show several years succeeding 1963.

#49 of 614 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 11:32 AM

Charles is right about Mia and Dorothy I thought I read or heard Mia was under studio suspension writers placed her in coma. Then came to cutting her hair to cause more studio headaces. I liked Lola too and remember when Dorothy came back. Just as in Martins place I was happy to have both actors return to their original rolls. In 1997 I read in TV guide about the show retruning on Romance Channel this caused me to run out and buy my first satilite system so I could watch my favorite show all over again. Last show ended on a question which I believe the whole key to the answer was there. I still wonder where I got the notion the cast went to Europe to film an ending for the show. Good chemstry I rate Steve and Betty Allison and Rod Norman and Rita Connie and Elliot Mike and Ann Martin and Hannah Eddie and Ada Leslie and Catherine Susan and Tom Eli and Everyone.

#50 of 614 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 12:00 AM

Does anyone know Grace Metalious' feelings on the series ?? Did she have anything to do with the original pilot ?? Or was she still alive at that point ??

#51 of 614 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 01:57 AM

Mark, I've heard that story of an "European ending" before: supposedly the show was such a hit in The Netherlands, several cast members were flown over to Amsterdam to film a tacked-on happy ending. I don't know if it's fact or urban legend- someone must know. Ed Nelson, Barbara Rush, Elizabeth 'Tippy' Walker, Ruby Dee and Patricia Morrow were in that last episode, as were Glynn Turman and James Douglas. They're still alive to confirm or deny. As to Ms. Metalious, she died in early '64, as the show was starting its first season with the revised pilot. Apparently when she made the deal with Fox for the novel and the sequel, she more or less lost any control over what the studio did with it. It is well-known that Paul Monash wasn't a big fan of the novel, and even before the pilot was revised he took a lot of the more salacious material out of the story. I've a Look magazine from '65 (a must-own for any PP fan- losts of rare photos, including a 2-page color cast spread!) in which he compares his version of Metalious' story to Our Town, but shown several times a week!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#52 of 614 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 03:01 AM

Charles, you state REVISED "pilot" were there two pilots filmed ?? The LOOK mag story is that before the 'pilot" was filmed ?? Then, if her rewrote the pilot what changes did he make. And in the original pilot was Rossi a principal or Dr. at that point and was Mathew Swain head of the paper or a Dr. ?? Just trying to figure if the changes were made pre pilot or later.
Thanks, you have wonderful stories about the series.... What else did the Look Article state ??

#53 of 614 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 03:40 AM

Please refer to my earlier posts regarding the failed '63 pilot and the revisions in this thread......

BTW, the issue of Look in question is the October 19, 1965 isue with cars on the cover. Copies are easy to get thru eBay.

#54 of 614 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 05:49 AM

Charles,
Did you by any chance read the book "INSIDE PEYTON PLACE" by Emily Toth.
I have not read it. Supposedly there are many scoops about the whole story of the books, films, and series........... Must be quite a READ !!!!
Any insight into it ??
Thanks.....

#55 of 614 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 06:56 AM

I've been trying to locate a copy for years. Sandra Bullock owns the rights to the Grace Metalious bio, and has announced plans to play her in a biopic. However, this was over a year ago, and I've haven't heard any other news on the project.

#56 of 614 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 11:49 AM

Any idea why this is not on the Shout! web site? I've looked several times over the weekend, and again today but no info yet. Do we have any idea yet on a price for the set, and if there are any extras?

Jack

#57 of 614 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 12:41 PM

Charles I have the book "Inside Peyton Place" and it is a good read. There is a section devoted to Peyton Place on TV. I read the book some years back when buying all the 9 paper backs and the tenth a bio paperback on Grace Metalious written by her exhusband 1965. Just flipping thru the pages I see it has a wealth of info on the show yet I think you have a great deal more and could straighten them out. It also outlines the crazy novels and the daytime soap and the first post series movie. The cool part was in 1979 which you might already know they were pushing to put Peyton Place back on the air. Even before Dallas hit their famous episode. It looks like the screen play for Peyton Place Next Generation.

Two things about Next Gen. Why Peyton Place fans did the writers call the Carson Daughter Kelly. Was it because they looked in on some episode of the show saw Connie with a baby and calling it Kelly and said "Oh good here is our Betty" for the new show. Not even doing their homework that baby Matthew was there and big part of the show. Next Gen did a nice rework of dialog with Betty telling Mike in his office about having Steves child from when Betty was a nurse in black and white no less. Nice touch because all the flash backs were black and white.

Just like "Murder in Peyton Place" had "Stella Stevens" in black and white again in Mikes office mouthing lines in black and white to what make us forget "Lee Grant as Stella.

The other question I saw the broadcast of Peyton Place Revisited with Peter Lawford hosting and someone said there were no tvs on Peyton Place. That is the only quote that stuck with me. In 1976 when they put the show in reruns I found of course that was not true. The tv in Carson house is always there. Rilta is watching one in her hospital bed.

Yes I too have been to Shout. I am glad I am not the only one monitoring.

#58 of 614 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland
Any idea why this is not on the Shout! web site? I've looked several times over the weekend, and again today but no info yet. Do we have any idea yet on a price for the set, and if there are any extras?

Jack

Too early, Jack, for it to be on Shout!'s site. Usually that happens a few weeks after I get the info from my sources. Price is $39.99 SRP, I've found out, and the plan right now is that there will be some extras, but we don't know what and I'm waiting for more substantial info before posting my next news story about it.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#59 of 614 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 10:44 PM

I think I will blind buy this show
  • Mark Collins likes this

#60 of 614 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 11:12 PM

I've found out, and the plan right now is that there will be some extras, but we don't know what and I'm waiting for more substantial info before posting my next news story about it.[/quote]

Hope it is the "UNAIRED PILOT", that would be the piece d' resistance !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow