Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MY DREAM CAME TRUE- "Peyton Place" on DVD this May from Shout! Entertainment!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#1 of 615 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:27 AM

Now I know what the people of Boston felt like after ending the Red Sox curse!!! At long last I can see Rodney, Allison, Betty, Steven, Constance, and even that slimy rat Martin Peyton on DVD!!!

Here's the details:

Peyton Place DVD news: Announcement for Peyton Place - Part 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Looks like I'll have to change my signature- please be sure to buy it when it's released to insure more volumes!!

For those of you who have yet to see their favorites come out on DVD- DON'T GIVE UP!! HALLELUJAH- "Peyton Place" on DVD at last!!

PS- The cover art is great (actually, it's from the unaired 1963 pilot which was scrapped) here's hoping for extras!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#2 of 615 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:35 AM

Charles,
Do you think the pilot will be in the first set ?? I always heard the pilot included the CROSS family. What do you know about the PILOT. I see that you state the photo is from the pilot.......... How do you know ?? Would love to know the story about the pilot. Heard the pilot was also one hour ?? Fact or fiction ??
Thanks,

#3 of 615 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:38 AM

Well, I guess you're the best person to ask...

I've never seen an episode, but might be open to a blind buy of this set... what's the show about, and is it worth buying?

Sell me (and any random passersby) on Peyton Place, good sir!

#4 of 615 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:45 AM

OK, Alan- here's the story:

The Cross family was included, in fact, Selena was played by Gyl Roland, duaghter of Gilbert Roland and Constance Bennett. (Had she been retained, it would have made her the second "Hollywood Princess" in the cast, along with Mia). I have a cast photo from the pilot featuring all the characters in front of the town hall, including Catherine and the Crosses. The Cross family was deemed too controversial, so a new pilot was made removing them and changing Mike Rossi from a high school principal to a doctor. That was the idea of the legendary Irna Phillips, creator of Guiding Light and As The World Turns, who Fox hired as a story consultant. Another consultant was Sam Hall, a few years away from writing Dark Shadows.

I've seen a screen test of Allison and Selena featuring Mia (available on DVD), so perhaps the scrapped pilot still exist in the Fox vaults.

Obsolete Man, here's an overview of the show- once you get started, it's must-see TV!

http://en.wikipedia....lace_(TV_series)
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 615 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:46 AM

congrats on this coming out!!

I am a fan of prime time soaps (Dallas,Dynasty,Falcon Crest). Put me in the camp of never seeing an episode of Peyton Place. I guess you can call me curious if nothing else. How many episodes are you getting here with a 720 minute runtime? It seems season 1 is a whopping 114 episodes. I might have to get this just to see the show that started it all.

#6 of 615 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux
congrats on this coming out!!

I am a fan of prime time soaps (Dallas,Dynasty,Falcon Crest). Put me in the camp of never seeing an episode of Peyton Place. I guess you can call me curious if nothing else. How many episodes are you getting here with a 720 minute runtime? It seems season 1 is a whopping 114 episodes. I might have to get this just to see the show that started it all.

Maybe 29 or 30 at best.

Of course, keep in mind that the runtime could change somewhat, weeks before release.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#7 of 615 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001
Maybe 29 or 30 at best.

Of course, keep in mind that the runtime could change somewhat, weeks before release.

I see thanks, I just realized this was a half-hour show. Was that the case for it's entire run ? I was looking at the runtime as if it was an hour show.

#8 of 615 OFFLINE   whisperintherain

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 04:41 AM

This is great news ! I have been intrigued by this show for a while and have been wanting to see it for quite a while. I've read episode transcripts on a very well-done fansite, which you probably have checked out or been involved with yourself, Charles.

Count me in as someone who will definitely buy this as a blind buy. From what I've read, it seems to be KNOTS LANDING meets MELROSE PLACE before either was born Posted Image. Surely a prime time series that aired three episodes a week at a time must be highly addictive. And the cast list is impressive: besides Dorothy Malone, Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Parkins (who was originally supposed to leave after twelve episodes but proved so popular they decided to keep her around), Gena Rowlands and Lee Grant (in an Emmy Award-winning performance) turn up later on. I have read that this show sadly ends with some loose ends, but this is such an historic show that I'm still willing to give it a go.
Bring these sets on!

Knots Landing: Seasons 3-14 - The Nanny: Seasons 4-6 - Peyton Place : Episodes 65-514 - Picket Fences : Seasons 2-4

#9 of 615 OFFLINE   Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 04:58 AM

Wow, this is exciting news, and certainly a series I never thought anyone would take on for DVD. (In fact, if I remember correctly, David Levine recently remarked that it's the kind of show that'd look incredibly scary to DVD companies.) So, cheers to Shout Factory.

I would just manage everyone's expectations a bit on the image quality, because the b&w segments looked pretty hairy in their last syndication runs -- I suspect they were quick & dirty transfers 16mm prints, and I doubt anyone will be remastering them. The color episodes looked great, but it would take about, er, 10 of these sets to get to them.

Charles, I'd gotten some info about the unaired pilot from Bill Self and a few others, but nobody remembered who directed it -- do you know?

And, does anyone have contact info for the folks at Shout Factory? Probably more appropriate to send me a PM or e-mail than to post it here.

Stephen Bowie
Classic TV History

#10 of 615 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 05:33 AM

Stephen, I wish I knew- possibly either longtime PP directors Ted Post or Walter Doniger. What other info can you share with us about the pilot- does it still exist? A case can be made that Selena was on the TV version, after all: the character of Rita Jacks is very much cut out of the same cloth- the 'good girl' from the wrong side of the tracks whose past is revealed in a big murder trial.

#11 of 615 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 05:43 AM

I for one would love to see that unaired PILOT with the CROSS family.
I wish they would include it on the FIRST SET !!!
Too, bad the series did not follow the book more closely. So, many characters were lost from the book !! Roberta Carter, Evelyn Page, Ted Carter, among others !!! I happen to think the FILM was one of the ten BEST from the 50's !!!
Very under rated film and very sensational for the 50s !!!

#12 of 615 OFFLINE   whisperintherain

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 05:45 AM

Wasn't Selena introduced later on the daytime continuation series RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE that ran from 1972 to 1974?

Even if the picture quality is not top notch, I hope they don't go around and colorize these episodes. I loathe colorizations and had to buy the first two seasons of BEWITCHED in R1 when I found out that the rest of the world would only get the colorized versions.
Bring these sets on!

Knots Landing: Seasons 3-14 - The Nanny: Seasons 4-6 - Peyton Place : Episodes 65-514 - Picket Fences : Seasons 2-4

#13 of 615 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 05:49 AM

Charles,
Can you please post the photo and was Ted Carter in the pilot ? And was Norman , Norman Page or Norman Harrington ?? Was Ted Carter in the pilot as well ??

#14 of 615 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 06:10 AM

I don't know if Ted or Norman was in the pilot. Rodney, Betty, Alison, Mike, Constance, Matthew, Leslie and Catherine were in the pilot cast photo with the actors representing the Cross family. Well, I can scan it to my PC, but how do you post said photo onto this page?

#15 of 615 OFFLINE   Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 06:19 AM

I'm pretty sure it wasn't either Post or Doniger who directed the original pilot. Both Bill Self and Ed Nelson had some vague memories of it, and one of them came close to remembering the original director -- I got the impression it was somebody fairly well known. The answer would likely be in VARIETY from that era, but it would be a chore to dig out. As to whether it exists, well, probably, but the likelihood of Fox being willing or able to dig it out of the vault is not high.

#16 of 615 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 08:12 AM

Based on the running time,there is either 28 episodes, if they run 25 minutes each or 30 episodes if they run 24 minutes each.

If I figure correctly - it should take 17-18 boxes to do the series and the follow up tv movies.

#17 of 615 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 08:34 AM

Y'all better buy it, despite the "economy," or it'll end up like Mary Hartman--no where.

#18 of 615 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 09:18 AM

Peyton Place aired when I was in high school back in the mid 60s. I remember that it ran for a couple of nights a week. I wasn't a fan of the show, but many of the girls in our high school were. I would love to watch the show just for great cast that was in the series.
  • Mark Collins likes this
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#19 of 615 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 10:28 AM

It's not just about buying a copy. You must order many as part of "Emergency Christmas" to give out to pals and relatives
  • Mark Collins likes this
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#20 of 615 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hallelujah- Charles, I can't believe it. After a crazy day at work, to come home to this news is AWESOME!

I am beside myself- I have watched the first 100 episodes from old tapes, and to see this in pristine shape will be great!!

Can't wait- Congrats Charles- Indeed a great day!

Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow