Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

3-D glasses comparison POLAR vs. CENTER

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 10:48 AM

part 1: i have both of POLAR EXPRESS and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH on Blu-ray. The glasses for each movie are quite different. On EXPRESS the red is covering the left eye and the right eye has a blue (yes i did spell it correctly!) "lens"; and on JOURNEY, the red covers the right eye and the left has a green "lens." Anyone know why there would be a difference for the two movies. part 2. DLP monitors appear to be the way of viewing future (distant future) home video 3-D. Does any know if LCD might also work....i am in the process of looking at new TV's and wondering what's up. Thanks for the help. b

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 11:39 AM

Maybe encoded differently? I prefer the clear glasses for 3D. The one's that they give out at a DLP 3D movie at theater. If their the colored glasses I simply won't watch it.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,261 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 12 2009 - 11:56 AM

They are different styles of anaglyphic encoding. There is a third anaglyhic method which was used recently for the Monsters vs. Aliens Super Bowl ad and the recent 3-D episode of Chuck, which used yellow and blue filters (ColorCode 3-D). The consensus seems to be that anaglyphic is lame, but that the version used for J2TCOE was better than The Polar Express. Hopefully the Blu-Ray Forum will standardise a 3-D spec soon, as BD supports dual 1080p streams.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,622 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 04:33 PM

I have posted my comparisons of these two DVD's in other threads, but I'll repeat them here: I own a 46" Sony Bravia LCD. POLAR EXPRESS, which was not originally intended to be a 3-D film, looks pretty crappy to my mind. Very few shots have a really good sense of depth - the red and blue separations are very distracting and only occasionally converge. Not recommended. On the other hand, JOURNEY, filmed in 3-D (albeit not in analglyph) works quite well. I would even venture that about 75% of the DVD contains effective depth effects. We all know that the color of the original Polarized images is drained by the red/blue glasses; accepting that, this is a decent and enjoyable (and vacuous) adventure with some truly startling 3-D effects. Recommended. Hope that helps.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 11:48 AM

Consider the anaglyph formats as "2nd rate 3-D options" until a specific stereoscopic standard is decided upon. There are already advanced 3-D video formats out there that work quite well. (Sensio, field & frame sequential, dual stream, etc) But these advanced formats require 3-D ready displays and hardware. Hence the need for one advanced 3-D video format, which is why SMPTE and the CEA are currently looking at all of the formats and will then recommend a 3-D video standard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users