Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: The Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,926 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 09:33 PM

STARRING ACTION HERO VIN DIESEL

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND
PITCH BLACK AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME
ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF
MARCH 31, 2009

ALSO AVAILABLE IN A 2-PACK ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF
FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Coming to Blu-ray™ Hi-Def for the first time and loaded with pulse-pounding non-stop action, spectacular special effects and brand new features, The Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black are a must have for all action fans! Both feature perfect picture, the purest digital sound and are BD-Live™ ready to get connected so you can download trailers and more!

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK SYNOPSIS:

Vin Diesel (xXx, The Fast and the Furious) stars in this electrifying special-effects-fueled action spectacular! After years of outrunning ruthless bounty hunters, escaped convict Riddick suddenly finds himself caught
between opposing forces in a fight for the future of the human race. Now, waging incredible battles on fantastic and deadly worlds, this lone, reluctant hero will emerge as humanity's champion - and the last hope for a universe on the edge of annihilation. Powered by groundbreaking visual effects and pulse-pounding, thrill-a-minute action, The Chronicles of Riddick is "a roller coaster ride that leaves you kicking and screaming for more!" (Hollywood Hotwire)

EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF:

• U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature, U-Control puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
o PICTURE IN PICTURE: Access interactive cast and crew interviews and behind-thescenes footage, all while you watch the movie.
o COMPLETE CHRONICLES: Explore the history and mythology of Riddick.
o CHRONICLES COMPENDIUM: Multi-tiered, dossier on characters, races, planets, religions, weapons and spacecrafts.
o ANATOMY OF A FIGHT: Investigate select fight scenes to demonstrate the real-life science of Riddick’s hand-to-hand combat skills.
• BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!
o MY SCENES: Pick your favorite scenes from the film and share with your BD-Live™ buddies.

BONUS FEATURES:

• INTRODUCTION BY DAVID TWOHY
• DELETED SCENES WITH COMMENTARY BY DAVID TWOHY
• VIRTUAL GUIDE TO THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: Immerse yourself into the world of The Chronicles of Riddick from the perspectives of the characters.
• TOOMBS’ CHASE LOG: Track the hunt for Riddick from bounty hunter Toombs’ perspective.
• VISUAL EFFECTS REVEALED: A play-by-play breakdown of the most complex and compelling visual FX in The Chronicles of Riddick.
• CREATION OF NEW MECCA: Visit New Mecca on Helion Prime and explore this futuristic world from concept to completion.
• RIDDICK RISES: Learn about Riddick’s past, present and future including and in-depth view of his training, weapons and more.
• KEEP WHAT YOU KILL: Discover how the Necromonger Empire has mastered the art of war, learn their dark secrets, their strategies and witness their powers and fighting prowess.
• FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH WRITER-DIRECTOR DAVID TWOHY AND ACTORS KARL URBAN AND ALEXA DAVALO

PITCH BLACK SYNOPSIS:

When their ship crash-lands on a remote planet, the marooned passengers soon learn that escaped convict Riddick (Vin Diesel) isn't the only thing they have to fear. Deadly creatures lurk in the shadows, waiting to attack in the dark, and the planet is rapidly plunging into the utter blackness of a total eclipse. With the body count rising, the doomed survivors are forced to turn to Riddick with his eerie eyes to guide them through the darkness to safety. With time running out, there's only one rule: Stay in the light. Pitch Black is the original sci-fi hit that introduced the world to the character of Riddick, the ultimate antihero. Take a ride on the pulse-pounding adrenaline rush that USA Today calls "the best excuse to root for the bad guy since Arnold in the original Terminator."

EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF:

• U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature, U-Control puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
o PICTURE IN PICTURE: Access interactive cast and crew interviews and behind-thescenes footage, all while you watch the movie.
o PITCH BLACK RAW: Explore the making of a special-effects fueled action epic through side-by-side comparisons of raw CGI to finished sequences, and raw dailies to final scenes.
• BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!
o MY SCENES: Pick your favorite scenes from the film to create your own video montage.

BONUS FEATURES:

• AN INTRODUCTION BY DAVID TWOHY
• THE GAME IS ON: Utilizing animatics and concept art created during the development of the game, this feature summarizes the events preceeding Pitch Black.
• JOHNS’ CHASE LOG: A visual, animated and interactive day-by-day diary of the merc Johns’ pursuit of Riddick. Viewers will gain a broader understanding of how Johns’ was almost killed by Riddick, but also how he eventually tracked and captured Riddick. Voice-over by Cole Hauser.
• THE MAKING OF PITCH BLACK
• DARK FURY: ADVANCING THE ARC: A tantalizing first look THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: DARK FURY, the animated prequel to RIDDICK.
• THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK VISUAL ENCYCLOPEDIA: Using an interactive interface coupled with production art and drawings, the consumer can familiarize themselves with the complex worlds, language and terminology from THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK. Voice-over by Cole Hauser.
• A VIEW INTO THE DARK: An early look into the THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, featuring new interviews with Vin Diesel and director David Twohy.
• FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH VIN DIESEL, COLE HAUSER AND DIRECTOR DAVID TWOHY
• FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR DAVID TWOHY, PRODUCER TOM ENGELMAN AND VISUAL EFFECTS SUPERVISOR PETER CHIANG

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
• Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violent action and some language.
• Price: $29.98 SRP
• Selection Number: 61106553
PITCH BLACK
• Rating: R/Unrated
• Price: $29.98 SRP
• Selection Number: 61106555
THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK 2 PACK (Includes The Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black)
• Rating: R
• Price: $59.98 SRP
• Selection Number: 61106690

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,868 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 12 2009 - 04:21 AM

So... no unrated cut of Chronicles on BD? That's kinda brutal.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,682 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 12 2009 - 05:13 AM

Can't wait to see these but I hope no previous cut/extras are left off. Hopefully with time we will see more clarity on what is coming. Sometimes these press releases aren't 100% right.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 11 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 05:50 AM

The other day, The Digital Bits posted the cover art for these releases. Both included an "unrated director's cut" banner across the top.

#5 of 11 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 06:10 AM

So is Dark Fury full or just a preview? Posted Image It says:

"A tantalizing first look THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: DARK FURY, the animated prequel to RIDDICK."

Which leads me to believe it's only a preview and they still want you to purchase Dark Fury seperately. If so it makes little sense because there isn't a Blu-Ray version of Dark Fury anyways.

#6 of 11 RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 06:51 AM

I just pre-ordered the 2 pack from amazon Posted Image

#7 of 11 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F
Which leads me to believe it's only a preview and they still want you to purchase Dark Fury seperately. If so it makes little sense because there isn't a Blu-Ray version of Dark Fury anyways.
It was on the DVD, so it's probably being included for completion's sake. Besides, from what I remember it's not just footage, but also behind-the-scenes info (though I don't know how much, if any/all, is also included on Fury).
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#8 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,010 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 21 2009 - 07:22 AM

I love Pitch Black but have never seen Chronicles, seems I remember it receiving poor reviews. I wonder if it's a blind buy. The 2-pack price is decent.

I thought I had read the Chronicles was a prequel to Pitch Black but I see the animated feature referred to that way. Is Chronicles a sequel or prequel?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 11 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 21 2009 - 08:04 AM

Chronicles is a sequel. While it's not nearly as good a film as Pitch Black, the sequel is not a bad action flick.

#10 of 11 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
I thought I had read the Chronicles was a prequel to Pitch Black but I see the animated feature referred to that way. Is Chronicles a sequel or prequel?
The order goes Pitch Black, Dark Fury (the animated piece), Chronicles of Riddick.

Riddick is a sequel to Pitch Black, Fury is a prequel to Riddick. Posted Image
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#11 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,010 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 22 2009 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson
The order goes Pitch Black, Dark Fury (the animated piece), Chronicles of Riddick.

Riddick is a sequel to Pitch Black, Fury is a prequel to Riddick. Posted Image
Thanks to all for clarifying that. I think I'll have to rent Chronicles before buying.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

Forum Nav Content I Follow