Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby TrueHD for Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Anthem AVM-20 Connection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_Lamb

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 02:00 PM

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray player and an Anthem AVM-20. With a 5.1 speaker arrangement. I'm interested in how to connect these devices to listen to the Dolby TrueHD sound that the DMP-BD55 can output.

It looks like I could connect the 5.1 from the analog outputs to the 6 channel analog inputs of the AVM-20. I would set the DMP-BD55 to 7.1 channel sound. If I do this, will I be missing out on some sound (since there are 2 channels not being sent to my processor)?

Any other ideas on how to connect this to get the best HD sound from the Blu-ray player? Just looking for the best way to hear the sound from the Blu-Ray player. After the connection, any info on the settings would also be appreciated.

Panasonic Connection Information
http://service.us.pa....MPBD35-MUL.PDF

Anthem Connection Information
AVM20 Owners Manual

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael_V

Michael_V

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 10:36 AM

Robert,

Yes, you would use the analog outs of your BD player (assuming it internally decodes TrueHD) sent to the six channel analog inputs on the AVM20. Set the Anthem input to ANALOG-DSP so you retain the sound management and processing of the Anthem.

Does your Panasonic have an audio setup menu that will allow you to select whether you have rear (7.1) speakers or not (5.1)? Maybe someone who owns that player will chime in! I know that the Denon 3800 that I use required a lot of fiddling in the menus to ensure I was getting the lossless audio formats through the analog outs....

Good luck!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_Lamb

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, the DMP-BD55 only has this one confusing chart.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,719 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 12 2009 - 04:32 PM

After looking at pages 10 and 32 in the 55's owners manual it looks like you should set the analog out setting to "2 ch + 5.1" and not "7.1". I'm sure if you are watching one of the very few 7.1 BR discs that the surround back channels would be sent to the surround channels so you wouldn't lose any sound. That's the way most, if not all, processors handle it. They down-mix 7.1 to 5.1. You also need to set the hdmi audio out to "Off" when using the analog outs.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.