Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Christopher Nolan's next flick "Inception"...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 10:18 AM

http://www.hollywood....298c38dea49c30

Christopher Nolan inks 'Inception'
Sets up original screenplay at Warner Bros.
By Jay A. Fernandez

Christopher Nolan has set up his next project with Warner Bros., an original screenplay he wrote called "Inception." The "Dark Knight" director hopes to shoot the sci-fi action film in the summer for a release during summer 2010.

Nolan will produce with partner Emma Thomas, who served as a producer on "The Dark Knight."

"Chris Nolan is a visionary filmmaker who continually raises the bar with each movie he makes," Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov said. "We are thrilled to be collaborating again with him and Emma on this exciting new motion picture."

Given the billion-dollar bonanza Nolan delivered with "Knight," one would suppose a treatment based on some poems he wrote in his fifth-grade journal would have gotten the green light. The writer-director-producer has done well by the studio, with "Insomnia," "Batman Begins" and "The Prestige" bringing in close to half a billion in additional theatrical revenue.

"Inception" is described as "a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind."

This pushes back any potential filming on a new Batman film, but three years -- and "The Prestige" -- passed between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight." Nolan has also long been attached to direct a big-screen adaptation of the British TV series "The Prisoner" for producer Scott Stuber at Universal.

The CAA-repped Nolan wrote the screenplays for "Memento," based on a short story written by his brother, Jonathan, and "Following," his debut feature in 1998. The only directing project he hasn't written is "Insomnia," his 2002 remake of the Norwegian thriller.

He and Jonathan (with story credit) earned Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for their "Memento" script, which won an Independent Spirit Award for best screenplay and the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at Sundance in 2001. Their "Dark Knight" screenplay earned a WGA Award nomination this year for best adapted screenplay (with David S. Goyer).
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 10:24 AM

Despite having his big screen adaptation of "The Prisoner" set up at Universal, WB apparently made him an extremely sweet deal to stay with them for (at least) his next two movies. The second obviously being Nolan's third Batman adventure.

Casting for "Inception" is said to already be underway.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 12:35 PM

A "sci-fi action" film by Nolan.....I'm there. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 01:46 PM

I've at least "liked" every film he's made so this will definetly be a must see for me. It's good that he's takeing a break from the Batman series to try something new. Much like he did with 'The Prestige".
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 07:55 AM

Sounds intriguing! Nolan is on fire lately.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 12 2009 - 03:35 PM

Definitely one of the top directors in the biz at the moment. I'll be in line for his next one.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted March 03 2009 - 02:34 PM

Leo DiCaprio to star in 'Inception' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Leo DiCaprio to star in 'Inception'
Christopher Nolan to direct sci-fi film for WB
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Leonardo DiCaprio will star in "Inception," the science-fiction film that Christopher Nolan ("The Dark Knight") wrote and will direct as his next pic at Warner Bros.

The project shoots this year and is slated to be released in summer 2010, with Nolan and Emma Thomas producing. DiCaprio's deal is in final negotiations.

Script has been kept under wraps but the studio calls it a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind.

DiCaprio, coming off "Revolutionary Road" and "Body of Lies," will next be seen starring in the Martin Scorsese-directed "Shutter Island" at Paramount.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 03 2009 - 04:13 PM

OK, my enthusiasm just got knocked down a notch, now that the film has been Leo-ized.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted March 04 2009 - 05:56 AM

Looking forward to this one.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 04 2009 - 08:05 AM

Nice. Can't wait to see what a Nolan/DiCaprio partnership can bring us.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 10:18 AM

Nolan Fans | Filming of 'Inception' Already Underway in Japan
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Knox

Charles Knox

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
OK, my enthusiasm just got knocked down a notch, now that the film has been Leo-ized.

That one notch -2 more. With his baby face looks, I have never been able to take Leo serious as an actor.

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted June 22 2009 - 12:45 PM

Interesting. I consider DiCaprio one of the very best actors of this generation. Some A-list directors also seem to think working with him is worthwhile. Scorcese, Spielberg, Ridley Scott.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#14 of 33 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Interesting. I consider DiCaprio one of the very best actors of this generation. Some A-list directors also seem to think working with him is worthwhile. Scorcese, Spielberg, Ridley Scott.
Ditto. He got "Titanic'd" with regards to stereotyping based on the backlash associated with that blockbuster, and look how long it took Winslet (another great actor) to get critical and popular acclaim since that movie. He had a couple of clunkers after Titanic (probably as a Hollywood result of that backlash) but pretty much starting with The Beach (yes I did like that movie) he's been very much more "hit" than "miss". In the recent roles I've seen DiCaprio, I've been more than impressed with his ability.

And yes, if Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Edward Zwick, Sam Mendes, and Chris Nolan think he's suitable for their films, I'm not going to second guess them.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 22 2009 - 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
What do those hacks know? Posted Image

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 22 2009 - 05:46 PM

I look forward eagerly to a sci-fi thriller that takes place "in the architecture of the mind" by Christopher Nolan. At a time when most studio films vary from poorly written to illiterate, Nolan is first and foremost a brilliant storyteller, one of the best writers, and a fine director. I welcome any story he wants to tell apart from superheroes. I'm also glad to hear he's casting Leonardo DiCaprio as I'm a little burned out on the diffident and inexpressive Christian Bale.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   kukuruza

kukuruza

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 11 2009 - 04:37 AM

Very much it was pleasant to me!

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   LynxFX

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted August 24 2009 - 11:53 AM

Teaser trailer is up:
http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/15201209/standardformat/

This will be interesting. :)

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 07:28 AM

Stars a bunch of actors I like and directed by Nolan....teaser looks interesting....I'm officially intrigued!!

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 29 2010 - 02:16 PM

Holy crap.  They showed a 2minute trailer as a sponsor during the premiere of "Rescue Me".  This had a very "Dark City" kind of vibe to it.  What they showed looked.. awesome.  I had barely heard of this, but that was one of the best trailers I've seen for anything this summer.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

Forum Nav Content I Follow