What's new

First trip to Los Angeles, suggestions on what to do? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I will be in Los Angeles the Fri, Sat and Sun of the oscars this month. Neither of us have ever been there. I was hoping some members could give some suggestions on cool things to do in LA. I hear doing a studio tour is pretty cool but other than that I'm not sure what to do. We will have a car so transportation will not be a problem. Any suggestions on cool things to do or which studio tour to take? Thanks in advance!

Brian

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
If you will do a search, there was another thread within the year that offered some great LA suggestions.

I'll start you off by giving you:

- Getty

- In-N-Out Burger

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
La Brea Tar Pits. Just don't touch the stuff, otherwise you'll disappear for a million years.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If your a fan of Die Hard you can go see the Nakatomi building (actually the Fox Plaza building).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

It's at 2128 Avenue of the Stars in Century City. :cool:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

Do a search for TV Show tickets. You will be amazed at the number
of tapings you can get into, some of which are on studio lots.

Also look into studio tours if they are still offered.

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Warner Brothers deluxe VIP tour worth it? It's $195 a person and we can get tickets for a Friday. Sounds pretty cool but we have never done a studio tour before so I don't know if this will be worth it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
- roscoe chicken and waffles

- overlook on mulholland -- great view of the hollywood sign and, on a clear day, you can see to the ocean. Very beautiful.

- santa monica pier

- drive thru bel air

- take the 118 to topanga canyon, and drive south for some beautiful scenary. Before you go there, head out to simi valley and check out the poltergeist house from the street. Really cool if you're a fan of that film.

- WB tour is great. If you're a harry potter fan, you'll really enjoy the museum at the end.

- Also, if you find yourself in the west valley (winnetka or woodland hills,) stop by stonefire grill for a really delicious meal for relatively cheap.

- If you have time for a hike, malibu state park is incredible. They filmed the television show M*A*S*H and some other shows there.

- Driving down sunset at night can make for some very interesting people watching. Just don't make TOO much eye contact.

- Take a drive down ventura blvd. Don't go at rush hour (which is essentially 3pm - 8pm)

- If you like horses, I think they have horse shows and stuff at the equestrian center in burbank (down on riverside drive.)

- Drive thru the hollywood hills

- If you're in burbank on saturday, stop by the handy market on magnolia for some very reasonably priced barbecue (and very tasty.) They set up grills and a smoker (sat. only) and cook outside. No place to eat though. You have to take it with you. Ribs, tri-tip, chicken, grilled corn in husk.

Hope you have a great time!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
With fewer and fewer record stores in existence, much less outstanding record stores, maybe a trip to the world-famous Amoeba records would be worth your while.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Definitely head up to the Mulholland Overlook. Absolutely spectacular views if the air quality is decent. Hopefully you have a good camera.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We preferred the Paramount tour over the Warners. I really enjoyed wandering the Paramount backlot. A LOT of familiar sets jump out at you once you see them.

My brother is a big ER fan and I took him on the Warner tour. He really enjoyed seeing the set for the exterior of the hospital. He had always assumed it was an actual building and the restaurant across the street was real - but it was all facade.

Show tapings are fun, but they can take a long time. We've been to two - Drew Carey Show, and Dennis Miller Live. Because DML was live we were in and out in about an hour. Drew Carey took over seven hours. It was interesting seeing them rewrite some dialogue on the spot and the several takes of the variations to see which one worked best. But that 7+ hour evening (without food or drink) prevented us from doing it again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sorry to get back in here late.

Paramount is a more intimate studio over Warner. However, you
will see far more studio history on the Warner lot thanks its on-lot
museum, wardrobe facility and backlot locales.

$195 is awfully, awfully steep for a VIP tour. I would wonder what
the heck they are promising to show you on that tour. We have taken
tours for about $20-$30 a piece over the past years and we saw quite
a bit.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I may be mistaken, but I believe that price gets you lunch in the studio commissary.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

While having a car is essential in CA, don't assume it means transportation is no problem.
Be prepared for gridlock on the freeways at any time of day or night, not just at rush hour, and always be prepared to take alternate routes. Also don't always assume that the freeway will be quicker than surface streets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks