What's new

Market for BEST OF TV series? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I mean, collections of the best of Monty Python, or X Files, etc.

There don't seem to many such around.

I don't like to commit to complete series of long running shows, but I'd buy 'The Best of' packages of certain programs.

Anyone else feel this way?

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I sometimes think a best of release is a good way to test the popularity of a show for companies before releasing season sets but then they can fall into a trap because many collectors will hold off on buying a best of in favour of season sets etc

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I agree with you Nikki...I'd welcome "Best Of..." collections if the particular shows fan base had some input on the selections...not just basing the picks on the sometimes dubious virtue of guest star appearances as we've seen so often...better yet if some dedicated and enthusiastic fans with a scholarly and critical knowledge of said series had input, perhaps on a forum like this...forgive me while I indulge in my own self delusions, Ha..."Best Of..." would be better than no season editions at all...and, as you say, might prove to be a route to proving the market for further releases...at least that's what happened with Roxbury/Infinity's ROUTE 66...which despite the abuse much suffered by that shows fans (and vented here) I was glad to buy it however they chose to release it, only having the Columbia House VHS releases and tapes of Nick At Night...

John Watson

Screenwriter
The market I'm thinking off, wants a good selection of episodes from a long running series.

For example, The Best of ROALD DAHL's TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, or of X-Files.

I can't contemplate the shelf space required for complete seasons of a lot of series, but I would be prepared to have BEST OF samples of more programs, if they were sold that way.

The catch is, who would decide what are the best episodes of a given series?

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I would love to see more Best of Releases for soaps spanning different decades and years

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I am a bit surprised that CBS/Paramount has yet to come out with a Best of I Love Lucy release ... I mean that series is just chalk full of really great, memorable episodes!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

This is funny, because yesterday I read someone say that something is "chopped full" of something, and now you're saying "chalk full."

This got me investigating.

The expression, oddly enough, is "chock full," from a "chock," which is a wedge used to keep a heavy object from sliding or rolling.

I don't really like "Best Of" sets. I got the "Best of 'Here's Lucy'" (where the "best" isn't all that great) and the "Best of 'Mr. Ed'", but I'd much rather have had Season Sets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I prefer complete shows. For my own part, I would not be interested (nor would I purchase) 'best of' collections. But if there is a market for them, I think that's great for like-minded consumers. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks