-

Photo
- - - - -

Market for BEST OF TV series?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 06:44 AM

I mean, collections of the best of Monty Python, or X Files, etc.

There don't seem to many such around.

I don't like to commit to complete series of long running shows, but I'd buy 'The Best of' packages of certain programs.

Anyone else feel this way?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 11:19 AM

I sometimes think a best of release is a good way to test the popularity of a show for companies before releasing season sets but then they can fall into a trap because many collectors will hold off on buying a best of in favour of season sets etc

#3 of 8 ONLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted February 12 2009 - 12:42 AM

I agree with you Nikki...I'd welcome "Best Of..." collections if the particular shows fan base had some input on the selections...not just basing the picks on the sometimes dubious virtue of guest star appearances as we've seen so often...better yet if some dedicated and enthusiastic fans with a scholarly and critical knowledge of said series had input, perhaps on a forum like this...forgive me while I indulge in my own self delusions, Ha..."Best Of..." would be better than no season editions at all...and, as you say, might prove to be a route to proving the market for further releases...at least that's what happened with Roxbury/Infinity's ROUTE 66...which despite the abuse much suffered by that shows fans (and vented here) I was glad to buy it however they chose to release it, only having the Columbia House VHS releases and tapes of Nick At Night...

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 01:06 AM

The market I'm thinking off, wants a good selection of episodes from a long running series.

For example, The Best of ROALD DAHL's TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, or of X-Files.

I can't contemplate the shelf space required for complete seasons of a lot of series, but I would be prepared to have BEST OF samples of more programs, if they were sold that way.

The catch is, who would decide what are the best episodes of a given series?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 01:07 AM

I would love to see more Best of Releases for soaps spanning different decades and years

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 08:56 AM

I am a bit surprised that CBS/Paramount has yet to come out with a Best of I Love Lucy release ... I mean that series is just chalk full of really great, memorable episodes!
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney
I am a bit surprised that CBS/Paramount has yet to come out with a Best of I Love Lucy release ... I mean that series is just chalk full of really great, memorable episodes!

This is funny, because yesterday I read someone say that something is "chopped full" of something, and now you're saying "chalk full."

This got me investigating.

The expression, oddly enough, is "chock full," from a "chock," which is a wedge used to keep a heavy object from sliding or rolling.

I don't really like "Best Of" sets. I got the "Best of 'Here's Lucy'" (where the "best" isn't all that great) and the "Best of 'Mr. Ed'", but I'd much rather have had Season Sets.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,256 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 12:49 PM

I prefer complete shows. For my own part, I would not be interested (nor would I purchase) 'best of' collections. But if there is a market for them, I think that's great for like-minded consumers. Posted Image